Record Store Day - Thoughts on how it could be better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musicman1257, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musicman1257

Musicman1257 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My intent for starting this thread is not to bash anyone's opinions or views of RSD. I've seen too many forums where users are knocked down for their opinions. Everyone has a right to either like it or hate it.

I am a fan of Record Store Day, and also of supporting brick and mortar stores. There used to be a lot of them in the Philadelphia, PA area and now they are few and far between. I, like a lot of other collectors, enjoy going out on my lunch break to flip through a bin of used 45s or LPs, especially since you never know what you are going to find. There's a tangible thrill and satisfaction for a collector to be able to add something to his/her collection.

That being said, I do feel that we are seeing more and more reissues as opposed to unique releases. For example, and not knocking Bruce Springsteen (I am a big fan of his music), but why would I pay $30 for a new pressing of “The River” when I could get an original for $8-$10? In addition, I think a lot of the fun has been taken out of RSD by those who feel the need to flip them for 3 times what they are worth. Sure, it’s not illegal to do that. If someone wants to pay $120 for a Cure Greatest Hits on picture disc (when it should only sell for $35-$40) who am I to say no? Have at it! But isn’t the whole point of RSD to not only support the brick and mortar stores, but also to further enable the hobby of vinyl collecting?

My solution, while it may be flawed to a certain extent, is to allow customers the ability to physically go to their local record store a week or two in advance, and pay for the release they want. On Record Store Day, they have to physically come into the store and pick it up….no mail order. This will allow for possible add-on sales. And I think there would always be enough people lining up at the door when they open that it would still be profitable to allow the “pre-orders”. I think this would, to a small degree, prevent flipping, because it will at least guarantee the customer that they will have a copy of what they are looking for. There’s nothing like waiting in line for an hour or more, only for the person in front of you to get the last copy the store has. While the store 3 towns away gets 6 copies of it. Of course, it would be up to the RSD higher-ups to determine how to designate which stores get how many copies, etc.

Would definitely like to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The problem with preordering them is that it might create more issues and play against RSD. The idea to have limited releases only available on that day is to get people to rush out to the stores. In some cases, these preorders may get sold out beforehand which would give people less reasons to go.

3. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Nice idea but it wouldn't stop the flippers from pre-ordering.

nosliw, jupiter8, eric777 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Of course it wouldn’t. They’d preorder what they wanted, pick it up, and flip it on eBay just like they’d do otherwise.

Maybe limit to one per customer? It wouldn’t eliminate it but it would be symbolic and a little harder to do.

Ed

spencer1 likes this.
  5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I really only have a problem with prices. If something is limited not everyone is going to get it. One per customer should be a rule if it isn't already.

Christopher B, gitters and AnalogJ like this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

RSD is an event without a purpose. It's a completely fabricated day that uses extreme Limited Editions to create excitement. It's a shell game played with adults, many of whom are guaranteed only disappointment. It beggars belief that some idiot thought the way to get people into stores and buying product was to limit quantities.

What would make it better? Have it celebrate the music AND music fans who want physical product. Ditch the extreme limited editions that create a false market - currently all it does is line the pockets of flippers who leach off fellow music fans. In other words, stop creating ridiculous Limited Editions so the music fans they want to drive to the stores can get what they want, when they can afford to get it.

Won't happen though, so Record Store Day remains a stain on the industry. Just another example of the business shooting itself in the foot. What could have been great is reduced to a musical equivalent of Halloween.

7. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I like the preorder idea. My biggest gripe with RSD is the frustration of going to stores and finding everything I want is gone or never even came. Total waste of time. With preorders you'll still get me to come to the store which, after all, is supposed to be the goal of RSD.

Now, after being burned so many times, I just view the whole thing with contempt and only remember the date because I know to steer clear of record stores that day to avoid crowds.

8. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It seems it does in fact have a purpose - you (and almost certainly many others - thus threads like these) just don’t seem to care for that purpose.

Stone Turntable, JannL, cwd and 3 others like this.
  10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Maybe supply a few more copies than what's available on some titles but that's about it. I like it, I'll be there in line Saturday morning, purchase the RSD titles I want (if available) and spend money on more that just the exclusive stuff. Haters gonna hate. Flippers gonna flip. Supporters gonna support.

Life is tough. Especially if you're working in retail. Try it.

Tommyboy, Dan Steele, Sean and 2 others like this.
  11. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

1- make the list public before orders are due to suppliers. This happened this year and it made ordering RSD product much easier due to having an idea of what My customers wanted. Keep this going.

2- condense to 1 per year. No need for RSD 2.0 on Black Friday.

3- make all releases RSD first titles. Maybe they are colored viny, numbered, include art print or whatever, but make it so fans who “only want it for the music, not the collectablity” can pick up the titles later in the year, without worry of overpaying.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

At this point, what is the purpose? I understood it's purpose was the draw people into brick and mortar - they decided to do this by manipulating those people with needless Limited Editions leading to disappointment and price gouging. In principle I have no problem with the idea of getting people to stores - but I'd much rather that be achieved through good pricing, good stock of back catalog, and knowledgeable staff.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You just answered your own question.

BuckNaked and Defrance like this.
  14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

The biggest problem for folks like me is that I don't live close enough to a record store to make it to the event most times and with limited issues, my chances of scoring a particular LP can be rather limited. I have to hope there are copies remaining after-the-fact and have them shipped. The solution to that would be if a particular RSD LP sells out, why not press more copies so other fans can get in on the fun?

mooseman and E.Baba like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That kinda defeats the purpose, no?

It seems people confuse the goals and objectives of RSD with their own personal desires and challenges.

FrixFrixFrix, Defrance and cwd like this.
  16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

In that case, it's as reprehensible as I thought. Good idea, but totally misguided in execution.

DHamilton likes this.
  17. gospelfish

gospelfish Forum Resident

Good ideas. I especially like the idea that fans who only want the music can get what they want without overpaying. Let the freaks and flippers fight over the rare colored versions.

Defrance likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

- Press stuff that I want
    - Give me first dibs on them
    - Price them below wholesale, since I'm a cheap bastard

19. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

No, I don't think so. It's real easy to say "tough luck" if you live in a city with a record store and only need to line up to have a good shot at a particular record. The rest of us are S.O.L. I don't see why a second run which would have lesser value but still allow other like myself to be able to enjoy fine music on vinyl could not be printed. I believe there is a kind of snobbery involved in this business of having limited editions available to those in position every year to be in the right place at the right time. Sorry, that's how I see it. I know I may get fried, roasted and frost bit by some for having this view, but that's my take.

aussievinyl and mooseman like this.
  20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

RSD isn't saving any record stores, and it really doesn't cater to me, the record buyer.

I've written elsewhere that the right way to think about this is for it ALWAYS to be RSD. What would excite you to make a trek to a record store? How about getting releases earlier than Amazon? How about discount pricing? How about more high quality re-issues?

Feed the market if you want to grow the market.

21. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

My solution to fix RSD:

1. Press only records that I want so there is no chance of backing up the record presses.
    2. I should not have to leave my couch on Record Store Day. My local store should email the list of titles that I had previously approved so I can choose what I still want. They can then deliver the records to my door when I'm good and ready to receive them.
    3. Actually, on second thought they should employ attractive women to deliver the records to me.
    4. I reserve the right to still not be happy and declare that Record Store Day sucks!

22. egebamyasi

Is it just me or do I see stuff in stores months after the event? Aren't most of these titles still around if you look hard enough?
    It's record STORE day. You really can't take the going to the store part out of it.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Perhaps make each RSD item limited to 1 per customer, or even make it so that you have to buy a non-RSD item from the record store you're at (whatever the price) in order to purchase an RSD item. That way, record stores could sell more and flippers would have a harder time. Also, there would be more looking around throughout the whole store, and not just a bunch of people going for the few bins or shelves that the RSD stuff is located.

mattright likes this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I wonder if perhaps it would be at all practical to make RSD not the day on which ultra-limited stuff is offered exclusively, but perhaps just the first day certain designated titles are offered? In other words, perhaps have the releases not be so strictly limited, but offer them first to participating stores on the day, and expand availability to other stores and online within a week or two?

Now, someone will rightly say, "That's the way it already is, bonehead", but I think it is the perception that this stuff is all going to be gone by 10:30 AM on the 21st generates some anxiety. If we all KNEW that it wasn't likely that all the copies of something were going to be sucked up and flipped, if it was just the day that early birds could get the jump on everyone else, that might generate a little more good will for the whole thing.

25. egebamyasi

If the titles aren't limited and exclusive no one is getting off the couch on Saturday morning to go get them.

vinylbeat, eddiel, Rob C and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.