Record Store Day - Toronto shops

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by lucan_g, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

Historically I’ve gone to Sonic Boom on the theory that they will pull the most stock/variety. I’m getting sick of the lines, crush, and so on. Was considering Soundscapes or June Records this year based on locations...but wondering what other Toronto members experiences have been like on RSD?

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've been to a few. I haven't been Sonic in years. Although it feels like they get 90% of all the records that come to Canada for RSD they also have the biggest crowds and it was too mental for me, even if doable. I like to take it easy these days :)

Soundscapes - forget their opening times. Every time I've been, they always open up earlier than they said they would (by about 30 mins), especially if the weather is bad. Caveat; I have not been there for the past two RSDs (because I live next to Rotate). But, their lines are shorter and they run/ran a system of letting 10 or so ppl in at a time so no rush. They have a smaller, more curated selection but I tend to want what they bring in so it worked out. The "rush" here ends early. Soundscapes also opens up the earliest of all the shops. So you can go here first, then walk down to June.

June Records - also did the June records run, the year before last. Bigger selection than Soundscapes but also more people. But I walked in, after being at Soundscapes. I then went back to Soundscapes for more stuff. It is more crowded but nothing too bad IMO. Fairly relaxed compared to Sonic Boom. Selection is good.

Rotate - Busy but they literally bring in everything, they say they do and it feels like they do. They have tonnes of copies of everything. Line up is bigger, it's more controlled as well as they don't have much space. Even after the initial rush, they still have a lot of stuff. Now, some of the more limited items will go faster but they get a lot in. I'd show up an hour or so before opening. Apart from Sonic, I'd say Rotate is your best bet to get what you want.

You could easily do Soundscapes first, go to June and wait for it to open, then head over to Rotate (they'll be open by then) or do Soundscapes first, then head down to line up at Rotate.

Also, it's worth visiting Short Stack Records (Queen@John in Black Market). He doesn't get as much but he gets some stuff. But more importantly you want to sign up for his mailing list because he emails everyone well before RSD and asks what they want and brings in things based on what his customers want so he concentrates on those rather than throwing darts and hoping.

I haven't been to any others though so can't comment.

lucan_g likes this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great advice. I did stop into short stack last year. I’m in the Leaside area so it’s all out of my way...but I may hit Rotate This so I can pay a visit to Bellwoods bottle shop after. :)

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Bottle shop!? Some of the lines ups there are usually bigger than the Sonic and Rotate line ups combined! :D

Rotate will be a good choice for you. I'd say show up at 10am and you should get a good spot. My only caveat to that is, I find lines ups are starting earlier and earlier for the Downtown record show early entry option and maybe that's filtering through to RSD now as well.

lucan_g likes this.
  5. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I follow Cosmos Records on Instagram, and it looks like they're putting out a bunch of really interesting/cool/rare titles on RSD. They won't be carrying any of the new RSD items but it could be an interesting stop if you're in Toronto.

lucan_g likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.