Record stores in Florence, Italy

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by heliokt, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I am going to stay for about 10 days in Florence, somewhere near the train station/convention center. I doubt I 'll have much spare time or money, but I'd appreciate if someone could indicate a few record stores to visit in Florence (perhaps in Rome too)

Thanks,
    Helio

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I've found that when I travel the best thing to do is ask the locals. Good stores get bad, bad stores get good - they'll give you the most up to date info and let you know where the best prices are.

3. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Just spent a semester there (in Florence).

There is a great all-vinyl store on either "Via Di Pilastri" or "Via Degli Alfani" (one turns into the other). The guy that runs it definetly knows his stuff, and is very nice (he once put on a mono Sgt. Peppers just so I could listen to it). They have all sorts of rare stuff, including the usual Beatles and Dylan and whatnot (stuff out of my $$$ league).

Directions:

*From the big traffic circle in front of the train station (I'm assuming you mean Santa Maria Novela?), get onto Via Nazionale and start walking away from the circle.
    *Make a right onto Via Guelfa
    *Keep Following Via Guelfa. Cross over Via Cavour, and it turns into Via Alfani.
    *Keep heading on this road. It will be on the left side.

As I said before, Via Alfani turns into Via Pilastri, and I don't remember exactly where the store is (although i think it's on Via Pilastri). If you hit the end of Via Pilastri, you have gone too far. It is definetly walkable (and a nice walk at that!).

Street signs in Florence are well marked, but tend to be high up on buildings, so keep a sharp eye.

When I was there, there was a great beatles cover band that played every tuesday night at a bar near the duomo. PM me for more info on that, or if you want some good places to check out while you are there.

Good luck!

_Alan

4. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.