Record stores in New York

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ekymetal, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I've vented my frustrations about Amoeba in another thread. Their used vinyl stock has dwindled in the past few years in favor of new LPs priced higher than anywhere else around. You should hold out for branches of Freakbeat or Atomic Records (like Captured Tracks in Brooklyn but much better stocked). I keep imagining Tokyo's Disk Union might open a branch in LA; I know it's extremely unlikely but apparently they have a few buyers based in the Bay Area. The rumor started here!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. hockman

hockman Well-Known Member

Disk Union has buyers overseas to source record stock for their stores in Japan! Probably has nothing to do with opening a store in the US. I can imagine they would expand around Japan before even thinking about this. The market is far far better in Japan I think.

3. Marc Perman

Agreed, this was "in an ideal world" thinking on my part. I'm hoping to make a vinyl shopping Japan trip soon, I've only shopped for CDs there previously.

4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The HMV's were all over the map for me. The one on 34th must have had a great buyer because they had an amazing import section. The one on 86th on the East side was also good for imports and cd singles. I think there was one in Harlem too.

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

There were also Towers on the upper East side and in Trump (oof) Tower. The UES store didn't last long and neither did the Trump one, but that one lacked the foot traffic of the other locations so you could find good things there.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Forum Resident

I've picked up some great jazz records at the West Side location. They're both very good. Right now, they're the best record shops in Manhattan, with the exception of the Jazz Record Center.

The pickings are very slim.

Hep Alien and drasil like this.
  7. Rawkdude

Rawkdude New Member

8. Marc Perman

Los Angeles: Come for the weather, stay for the record stores.:cool:

Tommyboy likes this.