Record stores in Toronto

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by 120dB, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident Thread Starter

A question for our Northern members: What are the best used record/CD stores in Toronto these days? I'm mostly looking for the kind of CDs we all usually look for (DCCs, MFSLs, early target pressings, UK imports like 'See For Miles' and Edsel discs etc.). Also looking for some places with large and worthwhile selections of quality 60s and 70s LPs and 45s. Price isn't that much of an object as long as they have 'the goods'...

2. Macman

Macman Senior Member

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I can vouch for Vortex. I was just there on Sunday. Didn't pick anything up but there was some unexpected stuff.

I'm moving to the area of Sonic Boom soon so will have to check it out.

4. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Kop's Kollectables on Queen near University has a large selection of 45s.

5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Lots of little ones on Queen St. W... Neurotica's the only name that springs to mind right now.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Discovery Records on E. Queen has always been my main watering hole for vintage vinyl over the years. Selection, as with every store, varies from trip to trip. The owner, Jim, has always been good to me when bringing US vinyl up for trade.

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Overpriced and badly stocked...Have never found a gem there...

8. LLB9977

LLB9977 Member

late post here, just discovered a decent shop in the Junction (keele/Dundas) called Pandemonium, its a book shop upfront and a record shop in the back. lots of good finds at a solid price. love coming up to Toronto. The city is gold for vinyl enthusiasts.

Repeter13 likes this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Sonic Boom is amazing...but make sure you have a few hours as you won't even get past the new arrivals area (seperated by day of the week it arrived) in under an hour.

10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

This one is in my 'hood - I visit it quite frequently. Did you know that the owner, Neil, was the model for a Rush album cover (I think the album is called Open Window - it depicts a guy sitting in an empty room beside an open window).

Another book/record/CD store not far away is She Said Boom!:

http://www.shesaidboom.ca/

There are 2 locations, the Roncesvalles one and another on College. I'm more familiar with the Roncesvalles one as it's closer.

Here's a link to some other stores: http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_used_cd_stores_in_toronto/

There is another relatively new one which specializes in classical vinyl but also has a lot of classical (and other genres) and CDs and vinyl and even has a small but separate section for classical SACDs. I picked up a Stones SACD there. I can't remember the name but it starts with A and is located just north of Queen street, a block or two west of University Avenue.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i remember going to HMV and sam's, those were the days.

12. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Haven't visited Toronto since 1996. Gotta think many of the record stores are gone with the wind, huh?

13. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Vortex has a nice selection and the vinyl is great condition > the store is a little tight (especially when checking out the bottom shelf stock) but well worth the effort > must be big turn over because always something new to be found > a regular stop whenever I'm in TO.

14. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Can't say I'd recommend Discovery > nice selection but really have to search if you want vinyl without surface flaws > though they have a grading system for their stock, I'd recommend carefully checking it out before buying. Can't understand why the store is not set up to accept debit card purchases. The owner was willing to help with questions/search but the guy watches every move you make like a hawk.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i know HMV, tower, and sam's are gone from yonge st.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Actually HMV still has a mega-store on Yonge St > there's a small stock of new vinyl on the second floor.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

really i was told a couple years ago that it closed when sam's and tower closed.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I live here and I don't think you'll find those rare pressings unless you hit the stores the exact same day as it hits the shelves (the really good rare stuff disapears immediately if it hits the shelves at all). Check out Vortex, Sonic Boom, Rotate This (more indie/modern but lots of used vinyl also), Discovery Records on Queen East and Monster Records on Yonge Street just south of Bloor. All of them have websites, some are more useful than others. Happy Hunting.

I rarely if ever see a DCC, MFSL for sale used and forget about finding Black Triangles, Bowie RCA's or anything like that, early CD pressings are becoming more and more rare especially the ones targeted by audiophiles. The stores are very much aware of the high end market and they will E-Bay a lot of stuff privately.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the vinyl section continues to grow - check it out - also across the street is Sunrise Records, they also carry vinyl and they still have a lot of stuff left from Record Store Day.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

All of this talk of the late great, "Sam The Record Man", is bringing a tear to my eyes. Easily one of the greatest "new stock" music stores that I've ever had the pleasure of walking into. At one time, it was literally five floors of music and how I ever made it out of there alive, is beyond me? The closest thing to the old "Sams" these days, is AMOEBA, in San Fran & L.A.

Chris C

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I was down there last weekend, it's basically a hole in the ground now - the entire building is gone, Ryerson university is putting up another building in it's place. Sam's, A&A, Tower, The Record Peddler so many great stores - GONE because of file sharing....

22. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

IMO, A&A went in the late '80s - bad management. Cheapies disappeared from Yonge Street around this time too - they had great import CDs. HMV agressively entered the market . Sam's was a victim of changing times, but also an archaic inventory control system (bags - not computerized).

23. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Ah, nice little thread... :)

Sonic Boom is very hit-and-miss for SACD and Hi Res stuff (I've found a few, but it's pretty random). However, it is a delightfully humungoid place with a ridiculous selection of used stuff.

An excellent new/used CD store is Wild East on Danforth - John's an excellent guy, I've spent many an hour there chatting with him about stuff, and he's introduced me to a tonne of music. Exactly what you dream about for a record store.

Another truly excellent shop is Soundscapes on College - a great layout (by Genre), and a truly impressive selection of great stuff.

Finally, there's Amorosso on Queen West (actually on St. Patrick, just West of University, across from the Rex, a Jazz club institution in town). They've got a bunch of great jazz/classical stuff, a heap of SACDs in those formats, and once in a while they'll get in some pop/rock audiophile stuff as well.

Repeter13 likes this.
  24. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Recently. while surfing the net I came across the website for 'The Vinyl Obsession' in Markham > looks promising so I'll have to check out the shop.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As sad as it is that Sam's has closed I stopped buying from them well before I left for the UK in 1994. I went in all the time during family visits but never purchased anything. I thought other record stores were better for what I wanted. There was a lot of competition along Yonge Street.

Sam's didn't update at all. The family should have done something to save it back in the 90's rather than in the 00's.

When HMV showed up there should have taken note and done something to update.

Anyway...I;m heading back to TO in September (for good) so I'm looking forward to hitting some of those record shops. Especially for lps.

Eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.