Record stores or music shops in Israel?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by MrRom92, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

I'll be traveling to Israel in just a matter of days. I highly doubt I'll actually have the time to stop and visit any, but just in case I would like to know! I would love to being back at least one special piece of vinyl as a souvenir of the trip.

Do any forum members here have any experience with purchasing records in Israel? Any special records native to the country that I should look out for? I'm trying to do some research on my own, but any tips from forum members regarding their own experiences would be very appreciated.

A couple of my own observations.

1. Most records imported from Israel that I have come across have a certain orange numbered sticker on the label that seems to be native to the area.

2. Beatles records are a great audiophile find. The jacket quality is not great compared to real UK printings, but the records are pressed from UK metalwork and on very thick and quiet vinyl. Much better than the UK pressings in my opinion, and should be sought out for anyone interested in getting better sound from their preferred masterings. The UK pressings feel flimsy by comparison.

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I ordered a Fall lp off discogs from a buyer in Israel once, when I received it, it was smashed to pieces and there was a very large bootprint on the outside of the package, it had obviously been done deliberatly.

To be fair the seller immediatly refunded my money, but I was pi**ed off as the lp was mint!

3. MrRom92

Heh, that stinks. I imagine that happened at the hands of some anti-Zionist postal worker who saw the package's origin. Very mature. Glad you fairly and rightfully got your refund.

4. MrRom92

Further looking over the specifics of the itinerary, I'll be spending a few days in Tel Aviv, and checking out the shopping and market district there. It's referred to as Israel's "Greenwich Village". You say Greenwich Village, the first thing that comes to mind are record shops. And overpriced Dylan bootlegs. Color me interested!

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Jazzis may still be having their final closeout.

6. MrRom92

Came across this thread from way wayyy back. Figured I'd update. I came home with a ton more vinyl than expected. Many street vendors in the Jaffa area, pretty much every single one of them will sell you very cheap knock-off reproduction wind-up record players for 78s, I am pretty sure they're all imported from India. A few had LPs, one guy managed to have like 3 full suitcases full of em! Lots and lots of israeli pressings of 60's 70's stuff, beatles, elton john, etc. And some israeli stuff as well. I have been extremely pleased with any and all israeli pressings i have ever come across - I consider my stereo Sgt. Pepper on Israeli Y&B parlophone label with UK matrices the definitive stereo pepper - UK metal pressed on extremely heavy thick and quiet vinyl.

BG airport has a nice record shop with a pretty decent selection of new LPs, some of which are pretty difficult to find in the states, Picked up a copy of The Beatles LOVE there, as well as Adele's 21, Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" and The flaming Lips DSOTM cover album on clear wax.

7. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I'm travelling to Israel in a week. I'll spend a week in Tel Aviv and it would be a sin not to ask if anyone knows any record shops where I could buy some used (or new) vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.