Record Time (Detroit independent music store) to close

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by GroovinGarrett, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden Thread Starter

Another one gone. Particularly sad for me, as this is where I bought my first used LP, and obtained many a CD when I was a teenager exploring my musical youth. :cry:

Independent music store Record Time to shut doors in Roseville

Published: Wednesday, November 10, 2010

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arti...4cd9ee4427d1b543216889.txt?viewmode=fullstory

By GARY GRAFF
    Of The Oakland Press

The Detroit music scene will be losing one of its institutions early next year — at least temporarily but possibly for good.

Record Time, the venerable independent music shop in Roseville known as one of the leading sources for and supporters of electronic music, will be shutting its doors in February or March, according to owner Mike Himes.

The reasons, he says, are the same as those that have forced many of his colleagues out of the business; declining sales — down 12 percent nationally from 2009 so far this year — and the increase in downloads over purchases at bricks-and-mortar stores.

"Before people would get older and get on with their lives and families and buy less music, but we'd replace them with the younger generation," Himes explains. "But now that younger generation isn't buying anything physically. There are some who do; vinyl is taking off quite well, but the masses, the big majority, don't buy anymore. That's killing us."

Himes opened Record Time in May 1983 in what was then East Detroit and moved to his current Roseville location at 27360 Gratiot Ave. in March 2003. He also had now-closed branches in Rochester and Ferndale. Himes recently adjusted the store's offerings to focus on used music and video items and special orders, but that's not enough to sustain the rent at the 8,500-square-foot location.

"We've worked with the landlord and gotten concessions and he's working with us," Himes says, "but this building and everything is set up for the type of business we were doing seven to 10 years ago. It's too big a space for what we're doing now."

Noting that "there's still a good niche for what we do,” Himes says there's a possibility of moving Record Time to another location or operating the store online. Those decisions will be made in the future, after he extracts the operation from its current situation.

Meanwhile, Himes plans to send Record Time out with a bang. Starting with a signing session by local authors of books about Bob Seger, the MC5 and Detroit techno on Dec. 18, the store will host a series of special events, including live band performances, DJs and a reunion of former employees. Record Time will also take part in an international Record Store Day on Nov. 26.

All events will be listed at

www.recordtime.com.

FYI

Record Time is at 27360 Gratiot, Roseville. Hours are 11 a.m.-

8 p.m., Monday-Thursday;

11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m.-

9 p.m. Saturday; and noon-6 p.m. Sunday.

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

3. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

No, no, no!!!

4. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

Question...Is Harmony House still around??? I remember going there all the time in the late 90s-early 2000s before I moved. It was on Woodward.

5. DetroitDoomsayer

Harmony House closed up all of it's stores in 1999-2000. The location on Woodward might have stayed open until 2001-2002.

6. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

No way, I remember going there in the early 2000s. You sure????

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

8. DetroitDoomsayer

Maybe the Woodward store was open until 2003 or 2004 possibly 2005 (but I don't think so).

Byline: Mark Stryker

Dec. 12--And from the ashes came the sound of music.

Six months after Harmony House said it would close its remaining 21 stores by the end of the year, the venerable Michigan record store chain has announced it will keep open its two flagship stores on Woodward Avenue: Harmony House Classical in Royal Oak and the all-genre Berkley store.

The decision means Detroit consumers won't lose stores known for their knowledgeable employees, deep selection and friendliness toward local music, from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to the latest garage band. Classical fans are already rejoicing that the metro area's only classical-only store …

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-122829307.html

9. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I'm just sick over this. My fav. Detroit record store. Ray is the best Record Store employee I've ever met! It's a shame!!!

10. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden Thread Starter

Harmony House Classical on Woodward stuck around through at least 2004, that was the last time I remember going there. The rest were gone by 2000.

So sad that Record Time is going. It's on my hit list for my trip home next month, along with Car City, Melodies and Memories, and the other usual suspects. Record Time got me started in used vinyl when I was 14 or so, I used to ride my bike along the sidewalks of Gratiot to get my records and CD's!

11. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

Sad for Detroit

I am bummed out over this one. I've been shopping at Record Time since the mid 80s. I have to admit that I don't buy as much as I used to, but it's a shame that they have to close.

12. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Very Sad. The store is very big. Seems like they could downsize and still make a go of it. Whenever I was in there, they had typically 4 employees. Vinyl selection was not that great but the used CDs and indie CDs were well stocked. Landmark location for Detroit record/CD collectors. Sad.

13. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Makes me wonder how much longer Flipside in Clawson will be around.

14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I don't know Record Time or the city of Detroit, but it's a shame to hear this kind of news once again.

Even in NYC I rely on mail order more and more, but it's annoying me more and more too. The wrong editions of CD's are often mistakenly listed on Amazon pages. Sometimes the seller can't find the CD that they advertised and sometimes the USPS loses them. The condition of CD's is generally okay (I've stopped moaning about broken jewel cases and half-moon creases on the inserts) but I have gotten discs that looked like they were attacked with a random orbital sander. I've generally gotten satisfaction from Amazon and the sellers in these cases, but it's pure aggravation.

I've sworn off eBay for LP purchases... grade inflation (and comparable price inflation) are the norm.

And meanwhile another great store is closing its doors. Very sad.

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Great store. Sorry to hear this. :sigh:

16. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Curious: What is East Detroit called now?

17. Runt

Runt Senior Member

As if we're not depressed enough around here... :sigh:

18. motorcitydave

Flipside is cool. Great deals on vinyl when I was there last time. :cool::thumbsup:

19. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Eastpointe.

20. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Wow, sad news. I used to drive 45 mins to that store in High School to buy cd's. Always had a good selection! Sad to hear that it's going down, but at least they are going down blazing!

What good record stores are left in Michigan?

21. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I Just asked this in another thread.

What good record stores are still left in Michigan?

I haven't lived there in 3 years and just started playing vinyl within the last year. When I go back for visits, what solid record stores still remain?

Sad to hear about Record Time closing. I used to drive 45 minutes to dig through their great cd selection. Sad news....

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I hate to see any music store close, but as a CD buyer, I never found much interesting there.

23. motorcitydave

The whole state, or what?

24. Runt

Runt Senior Member

They'd special order anything your little heart desired. Then you could take stuff in for trade, and offset the cost. Plus I found quite a few interesting things in their used section. Granted, as times got tougher their selection of new stock suffered.

25. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

:(
    I guess I need to find another store to spend my money...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.