Record vacuum cleaners.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamie Tate, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Also, when I geta really dirt filled disk at a thrift store or something, I just wash it under the faucet first with a bit of Ivory liquid, rinse with tap water, just to get all the crud off, THEn I do the normal cleaning routine. I have gotten unbelievable results from some disks.

Try it!!

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I dunno. I think this one disc has groove damage. Someone gave it to me many many years ago. It sounds like hiss or white noise just spilling in from both channels. The "center" of the mix is fine.

I made recordings of my sample discs before I made any attempt to clean them. I'd like to have a comparison.

I'll have to pick up a couple of those lint brushes tomorrow.

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

wonderful.. I am going to wait to watch someone do this before I try it. I am very curious though..

4. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

I use that same recipe and have had excellent results. I just use an old Discwasher brush (gently, of course) and it seems to work very well.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, my home brew is water, rubbing alcohol and Dawn dish soap mixed together and it works just well. If a record really has crud on it, I apply the fluid on the record but otherwise, I apply it on the Stanton cleaning brush which does go deep. If it gets very wet and I need to dry it, I use a soft towel usually but the blow dryer method mentioned in a previous thread about this, do a search and you'll find it also does work as long as you don't put the blow dryer too close, and I used the low speed. The blow dryer does work like a vacuum if used properly.

6. BradOlson

Also if audible clicks are heard, applying the fluid on the record actually makes the clicks more inaudible.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not exactly, Bradley. A blow dryer will simply speed up drying - when the liquid dries it can still leave junk behind.. On the other hand, a vacuum system will suck out all the liquid before it can dry and leave junk behind.

8. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Hey Jamie!

Is your new toy... er, TOOL, here yet?

HZ

9. BradOlson

I did a mix of Clorox Cleanup (use very little of this in the mix because it is a bleach based chemical) several squirts of glass cleaner, plus water, Dawn dish detergent and rubbing alcohol and it does work well because of the strong chemicals. Is Lysol Direct a bleach based chemical?

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

No, I dont think so, but it can clean anything known to man.

11. BradOlson

Thanks Mikey.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

It'll be here next Tues. My turntable (Rega P 3 w/ Super Elys cartridge) and phono stage Audio_______ something, I forgot what I got, will be here on Thursday. Can't wait!!

First records up- the first 5 Yes albums then an unopened Nilsson Schmilsson and various Billy Joel, Genesis, King Crimson, Beatles, etc... I'm so excited.

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've owned the same VPI 16.5 machine since 1988 and have never had a problem. My solution of choice is Tourmat, I've personally have had to many problems with the Disc Doctor fluid even after repeated rinsing it seams to leave a noisy surface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.