SH Spotlight Recording and Mastering Questions---Answered here. Any more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. scottc1963

scottc1963 Well-Known Member

Thank you

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

On my teenager years I was always trying to spot pre-echo on every new record I got but nothing beat the pre-echo on Madonna S/T pressed by Alsdorf in Germany.

3. George P

George P Give Me Your Sweet Soul Dream

@Steve Hoffman - I know that elsewhere you mentioned that the Japan and USA Highway 61 DCC CDs were mastered slightly differently, with the USA having a .5 dB boost at 10kHz.

Have you ever compared the sound of these two CDs? Do you prefer the sound of one over the other?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host Thread Starter

Never compared, sorry. Both are great though, or so I've been told. If you want a slightly more open sound, get the USA. I think the thing is open enough to begin with though..

George P likes this.
  5. KAD

KAD Member

Steve, I've got used Gabor Szabo - 1969 (DCC DZS-637) you mastered back in 1988. The music is absolutely stellar, great arrangements, great personel but the sound is a bit confusing. Either the source tape is not the master (dub or cutting master), bass is distorted and a lot of tape hiss on there.
    My second guess is that maybe hiss comes from early 16 track machines installed at United Recording Studio, Los Angeles early in 1969 with NO dolby A...
    Can you clarify this?
    Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo you also did sound fantastic in every way! I enjoy it too!
    Thanks for yor work, I am your listener since 1994 when I bought Cream Wheels of Fire Gold 2 CD set!