Recording Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tombby

Tombby Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that interesting article.

Just received his debut album, 'Silvertone' ( his best, IMO) on LP from discogs today. The recording is amazing, especially for a first release. Much of the atmosphere is lost on the CD. What an amazing voice!

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I was able to get "Wicked Game" (the euro only compilation of his early tracks-featured only official release of the instrumental version of the track) on lp as well as San Francisco Days on lp.Both sound significantly better than the cd.

Tombby likes this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I didn't know about the second acoustic guitar in Nashville tuning.... it blends so well with the main acoustic part that you almost can't tell it's even there... very interesting!

4. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I never would have dreamed such a simple-sounding recording was so complex.

I haven't listened to any Chris Isaak for quite a while. I always thought that second (self-titled) album was a real gem.

jsayers and Jim N. like this.
  5. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

6. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

No surprise: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/chris-isaak-desperately-needs-remastering.79307/

7. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Yea, we used to call him Mr. Big because of that song, fun listen, totally unnatural, but lots of fun.

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Old thread but very interesting. I always liked Chris Isaaks sound. Wicked Game and Heart Shaped World were on heavy rotation at my place when they first came out. I had to work back to discover his earlier stuff.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thanks for that. It bugs me when people copy and paste entire articles, and it REALLY bugs when they do so without proper credit.

Heart Shaped World, and "Wicked Game," sound gorgeous on the original (and usually cheap) Reprise vinyl.

11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Heart Shaped World would be a Great choice for a AF SACD

12. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Just picked up a vinyl promo copy of HSW on EBay - will let you know how it sounds.

13. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

14. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

It's worth spending a few bucks to pick up the SH mastered Night Moves Vol 5 compilation, to hear our host polish Wicked Game (and Jennifer Warnes' stunning version of First We Take Manhattan)

JimC likes this.
  15. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Chris Isaak should be canonised just for Wicked Game. One of the most beautiful records ever made.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've always wondered how the lead guitarist got that opening lick to sound so perfect.... the whammy bar dive itself is pretty easy to do, but getting a smooth transition from the dive to the next note is very tricky!

18. Still waiting for Audio Fidelity to remaster some of Chris' seminal albums.

500Homeruns likes this.
  19. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

AF remasters of his first three albums would be awesome! It's a shame that Steve Hall used so much compression when remastering the songs for the 2006 Best Of ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.