RECORDING STUDIOS ~ The Famous and Great!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Definitely one of the best consoles ever - great that you experienced one!

Another great NYC institution was the Magic Shop. That Neve desk was also something else.
    [​IMG]

rockinlazys, Mike Leary and bmoregnr like this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm a fan of Nancy and Lee's Reprise material, but those RCA recordings are mostly brutal to sit through, so I can only imagine what it had to be like to be in the studio while they were recording it. Lee (Barton) always seemed to be in a hurry to get anywhere than where he currently was and I can only hope that he slowed down long enough to enjoy life, before he passed? Here is a clip from around 1995 that I found on the web, when Nancy was at the infamous old L.A. Tower signing autographs. Lee is there and as usual, he seems to be pissed off about something?

mishima's dog and Mike Leary like this.
  3. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

My third contribution to this great thread, cool to visit where magic is created.

This is a framed collage I had made, hangs in my family room, from my two trips to England last 2 summers. On the right pictures from Brighton and me by the Sea and Sand. Funny, the beaches are all rocks along that stretch where the movie was filmed. Started the visit at the Grand Hotel after arriving from the train out of Victoria Station. Ate fish and chips on the boardwalk and drank it all in, listening to Quadrophenia on my Fiio, tears streaming down my face. My girlfriend totally understood too :)

Visit #2 and side trip with pictures on the left from Ramport Studios across the river in Battersea. Visited the generating station being rebuilt into condos and then walked up the street to Thessaly Road and there it was, now a doctor's office, or more specifically a clinic, which was sadly closed. But I could see through the side door and could clearly make out what was the control room with angled ceiling, the main performance area, and the side rooms with glass doors. Same tears thinking of Moon smashing away, Pete playing the most stinging lead guitar of his career, the piano tinkling away played by Chris Stainton on Drowned during a rain storm, and mostly of all, John Entwistle pumping the incredible bass lines, take your pick on the song, mine is The Real Me, which he remembered was the first take just messing around! Sad to see it was open only one day a week, with the property values in London you'd expect more could be done, but history none the less.

All done in moody black and white, which was my homage to the awesome picture book for the album, which must be experienced in full vinyl album size to appreciate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Great story!

Mike Leary likes this.
  5. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

Actually it is a slightly historical photo as those Tannoy Lockwood cabs have been sitting in my front room for a few years now!

[​IMG]

PS They were originally owned by Cine-Tele Sound Bayswater London back in the ‘60s, but I’ve yet to find a picture of them there.

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Those are really cool looking. Do you have the brackets to hang them as well? That bracket setup to me adds to the whole cool design element.

7. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

No, sadly I’ve not got them, not that my ceiling would take the weight! I wasn’t the first owner after Toe Rag Studios and I just bought them as empty cabs. They were originally fitted with 15” Tannoy Monitor Reds, but I’ve no idea where they ended up and I’m rather pleased anyway as Reds are worth an absolute fortune these days and would probably have priced me out of landing them. I’ve fitted my 1970 15” Monitor Golds, so not quite period-correct (they are early ‘60s cabs), but they sound great.

I really want to try and research their earlier life as if they are from CTS Bayswater originally as I was told they have been part of some seriously cool stuff (the early Bond films, Ipcress Files etc, Sinatra, some small bits of Yellow Submarine soundtrack etc). They are certainly the right date and I know CTS did have Reds in Lockwood cabs. I just need to find the photo evidence!

Derek Slazenger and bmoregnr like this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Fun stuff. I remember poking around online some on this in an earlier thread but coming up empty handed. Good luck.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary Well-Known Member

If anyone finds who the engineers(s) were and the studio where Linda Ronstadt cut that 'to the moon' album, "Canciones de mi Padre", please let me know, so I can track them down and give them 100 points (out of 10) for an incredible job!

10. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Produced by Peter Asher, "Recorded by" Shawn Murphy, Dwayne Seykora, & Sharon Rice. No recording studio credit...

11. Mike Leary

:whistle::whistle::whistle::righton::righton: Did you find those credits on your site? I looked, but missed it. Where did you find it so I can do other searches. Is Shawn a member? Love to send him (and the others) a PM.

12. Chris C

How about this footage of The Seekers at Abbey Road ...

13. Chris C

Here are some great outtake session sounds and photos from the making of "Be My Baby" at Gold Star ...

MMM likes this.
  14. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

It’s a shame what happened to that studio. Some great albums recorded there. I’ll always associate that studio with Rush. That was like their Abbey Road.

petem1966 likes this.
  15. Mike Leary

What happened? Was that the studio that Andre Perry ran? I visted his place in Montreal that had a killer console, name I forget. Caribou Ranch in Colorado had one, too, but they never could get the bugs worked out and went with a Neve.

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

CDMP was recorded in George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch. Shawn Murphy is the engineer of Star Wars music (after the prequel). He is definitely THE No.1 recording mixer of the world.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    marmil and Mike Leary like this.
  17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Shawn Murphy has been very busy for approx. 40 years and has rarely done recording outside Hollywood’s film scores and JW’s Boston Pops recordings. CDMP is one of a handful of the exceptions.

Mike Leary likes this.
  18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Yes that was the studio Andre had in Morin Heights in Canada. It was abandoned for years and recently had a fire. It’s a shame as it was a beautiful studio in a beautiful setting. There’s a cool documentary on YouTube that some fans made about it.

Mike Leary likes this.
  19. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

It Bites recording 'Once Around The World' at The Manor in 86/87. From a Channel 4 documentary about guitars so also features noodling from Francis Dunnery.

20. Mike Leary

The console Andre had when the studio was in a old church downtown was a "Olive", a Canadian invention that had great promise. I'd assume Andre moved the console when he went up country. I'd heard rumors that the console from Caribou was back in Canada, but no info it it was ever put back into service. What a audio shame that console did not have the $$$ backing to make it as great as the designers envisioned!

21. Mike Leary

No wonder that album turned out to be on my "top 10" list of over the top engineering feats!

yasujiro likes this.
  22. Chris C

Mike, I would love to know the other nine of your choices, just for fun?

23. Possibly already mentioned but what about Sarm Studios in London. Owned by producer Trevor Horn. A lot of great music was made here back in the 80s where Horn and his team pretty much sound tracked the 80s in the UK for many of us.
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Propaganda, Art of Noise, Seal, Pet Shop Boys, Mike Oldfield, Grace Jones even Simple Minds.
    Pretty much everything recorded here sounded fantastic.

24. Chris C

Not necessarily the ten greatest or most famous, but all of the following have presented some great sounds ...

25. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Not sure where you got your information. "Canciones De Mi Padre" was not recorded at Skywalker Sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.