Recording vinyl - software to auto-save tracks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Moschella, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member Thread Starter

I tried to use Google to find such a program but got lost in a quagmire.

All I want is a program where you can load a long .wav file and it tries to find and save the individual tracks. Say from a needledrop or a recording of a SACD.

Thanks in advance.

2. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Try vinylstudio

Mister Charlie likes this.
  3. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Vinyl Studio too. Excellent piece of software - works in high res, very intuitive and they seem to have thought of everything. You have to pay for it but not too much.

4. John Moschella

OK thanks. I'm going to give it a try.

5. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

If you're looking for free, Audacity will find the tracks for you.
    As typical for Audacity, it's not real obvious, but there is a tutorial on their website to show you how. Once you get the settings dialed in, it seems to work well. You do have to do one extra step to save the files, though.

6. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Alpinesoft (the authors of VinylStudio) also provide excellent support via dedicated forum. Well worth the money IMHO

7. Recording vinyl is tough, change/upgrade your cartridge and you may just want to re-record your album.

8. John Moschella

That is what I wound up with. Under 'Analyze' there is an option to find silences or something. So it marks the file and then you can export all the tracks at once. Its exactly what I wanted and works pretty good.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  9. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

With Vinyl Studio, you display the waveform for the whole LP, then look up the LP in the database and Vinyl Studio automatically transfers the track names and timings to your waveform. You have the opportunity to fine-tune the track breaks before hitting "save", whereupon Vinyl Studio automatically creates a folder full of sound files in your chosen format. It's really neat - a big time-saving.

10. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Quoted for truth!
    I'm almost glad my last upgrade wasn't a huge sound quality difference. (Ortofon OM5E ---> 2M Red). Lately, I've been re-doing the older ones that I recorded at 44.1 @ 44Khz. If it's a real nice, quiet record, I've been bumping up to 96Khz. I figure if they're old enough that I did it at 44.1, then it predates the OM.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

CD Wave is another "free" option (the author asks for registration after a month, but the software is completely functional).

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

You can set a threshold for silence and with a little tweaking, the auto-split function works nearly flawlessly. My workflow is to split in CD-Wave and then import into foobar and tag using the Discogs plug-in. It's pretty quick.

12. scolley

scolley Active Member

Having used Vinyl Studio to record (and track break, and add meta-data, and name/organize files, etc.) a few hundred LPs, I'm going to +1 the recommendations for it. I do find some of the interface to be a tad confusing at times, but not so much so that I have not continued to use it for making archival copies of my LPs.

And IMO the only thing stronger than the desire to do it all over again after getting a new cart or TT, is the memory of how much work it was, and thinking, "No way I'm doing that again! Maybe just my best LPs... " ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.