Recordings That Make It Feel Like Christmas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BiffJackson, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BiffJackson

BiffJackson Senior Member Thread Starter

I think we may need some more Christmas threads around here. Tomorrow, after all, is Thanksgiving.

When Christmas comes around each year, I look forward to hearing certain songs, certain versions of songs, that, for me, start to make things feel like Christmas. Maybe you're like me. Maybe not. But here will be a good place to start listing and maybe recommending some of those songs to others.

I'll begin. My family had Ronald Coleman's Christmas Carol on a set of 78's. I was always amazed at how fast they spun around. And, every Christmas season, I look forward to hearing it.

Sgt Pepper and phish like this.
  2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

It’s not even Thanksgiving yet, you are worse than my missus. But I won’t be a Grinch, so here’s one that I love to inflict on my American in-laws this time of year...

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Porkpie likes this.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

When I first saw this thread I thought of recordings that have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, but I've come to associate them with Christmas for one reason or another.

One of them is "Live In Amsterdam" by Toto. I first watched/listened to it the year of my baby sons first Christmas, while simultaneously trying to put together our new Xmas tree and watch him as he crawled back and forth thru our living room trying to catch the cat.

It has nothing to do with the Holidays, but this time of year I often pull it out.

Mark

5. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

The Johnny Mathis Christmas albums are always my favorite holiday music. Especially Winter Wonderland with the wonderful surreal-sounding vibraphone part. The Arthur Fiedler & Boston Pops album with Sleigh Ride is also a classic.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“December”
    George Winston

Even without any lyrics, his playing evokes the winter season, with plenty of snowfall, warm fireplaces, and chimneys decorated with stockings.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Charlie Brown Christmas. Thanks, Vince.

8. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

9. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

It ain't Christmas until I hear Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys ...

11. The first song I think about near Christmas is always Burl Ives' classic "A Holly Jolly Christmas." It's been one of my favorites since childhood and I love torturing my family singing it during the holidays.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and Morton LaBongo like this.
  12. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

メリークリスマス!

13. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

"Moving Pictures" and "Sgt. Pepper's"

Received both as gifts from my aunt on x-mas eve when I was 14 years-old or so. Later at home, loaded them into the CD player to listen as I fell asleep. Apparently I pushed the "repeat" button at some point and the discs repeated all night long, so each time I woke up or stirred I heard them and both ended up seared into my brain. Because x-mas is a significant event (especially for a kid), hearing these albums repeatedly that night caused them to be forever entwined with the holiday, and since then it has always felt as if I'm missing something unless I listen to both albums on or around x-mas day! (And if I hear them in July I think of x-mas immediately.) Just goes to show how endlessly complex the interactions between music and the brain can be!

As for legitimate x-mas music, Mannheim Steamroller, Carpenters, and Charlie Brown have been the consistent ones year after year as long as I can remember. Absolutely cannot decorate a tree without the Carpenters playing!

14. BiffJackson

I've loved this one for many years.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  15. BiffJackson

Come on folks. It's now the day after Thanksgiving. I believe it's safe to listen to Christmas music again!:)

16. I love Harry Nilsson's Remember (Christmas) which doesn't say a darn thing about Christmas in the lyrics but evokes the dreamy winter feel of a Christmas to me.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  17. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride
    The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick
    McCartney - Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time
    The Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling
    Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas
    Jackson 5 - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause
    Bring Crosby - White Christmas
    Any Charlie Brown Christmas tune

Christmas music is about nostalgia for me and it's the season to be nostalgic (and jolly) and I have wonderful memories attached to each of these songs. I could post a million more, basically every Christmas standard could be a favorite of mine. I just posted the tunes who's singers I'm aware of tbh.

Rhett and PhantomStranger like this.
  18. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

ボクらはサンタ!

BiffJackson likes this.
  19. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

This has always been my mother's favorite Christmas album and the one that still reminds me most of Christmas when I was a kid.

BiffJackson likes this.
  20. swearydad

swearydad Forum Resident

I'll Find My Way Home by Jon and Vangelis is a record that was released before Christmas in 1981 and was a success so it makes me think of Christmas whenever I hear it.

lightbulb and grimble like this.
  21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

The Spongetones - Christmasland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.