Records that you have that were immediately withdrawn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've got that and Beatles Alpha Omega on 8 track. Somewhere.

jlf likes this.
  2. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I got that Body Count one if I remember correctly it got pulled the very next day after it came out.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don't know how long it took to get them withdrawn, but I have the first Moby Grape album before Don' s finger was airbrushed out, the Stones Some Girls album before some of the girls objected and the naked Blind Faith cover.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    DTK and bluemooze like this.
  4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I also have "Body Count" with "Cop Killer". I found it (without a case) years ago at a pawn shop.
    I also used it to great effect when some snotty neighbours upstairs had a wine & cheese party that went on too long and too late. They had always complained about whatever I played in the past but this UPSET them.
    :unhunh:

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That's rare? I fished mine out of a used bin for five bucks! The US one is on Columbia, yes?

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

U2 Negativland vinyl
    1st version of Pere Ubu's Art of Walking
    The Great Lost Kinks Album
    Kinks "Scrapheap/Surviviors" single with Ray singing Scrapheap
    Lothar and the Hand People 1st with Woody Woodpecker

phillyal1 likes this.
  7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Little River Band's Greatest Hits, pressed in 2000, with three alternate mixes from the 'Time Exposure' album. They bitched and Capitol yanked it after about 10,000 were pressed.

http://www.chuckthewriter.com/lrb.html

Tensions got higher in 2000, when Capitol Records release a 17-track CD version of Little River Band's greatest hits, with three alternate takes of hits from Time Exposure - a version of Man on Your Mind to which George Martin had added horns; a guitar-heavy mix of The Night Owls; and an alternate take of Take It Easy On Me with Wayne Nelson, not Glenn Shorrock, on lead vocals. "Capitol broke the original contract," said Nelson. "No alternate versions or outtakes could be used on Greatest Hits packages. Capitol pulled all the rest of them back that they could, put the correct mixes on those three songs, and then they put the record back out. There are maybe 10,000 copies of the first version floating around out there - if anybody's got one it's a real rarity."

Malina likes this.
  8. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Funny, I've never actually seen a copy without "Qu'ran" (aside from the anniversary edition). It's even on the original US CD.

9. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That was actually the standard release in many countries. In fact, it was years before I managed to track down a version of the album that didn't include 'Qu'ran'.

EDIT: Snap!

ginchopolis likes this.
  10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Badfinger - Head First, it was out for a bit on CD but it's out of print now as far as I know. Also, Badfinger's Wish You Were Here. It came out in 74 for a few weeks then Warner Brothers pulled it due to Stan Polley. It's available on CD now though. I read somewhere Pink Floyd were planning to change the name of their album of the same name but after the Badfinger album was pulled they didn't have to worry about it.

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Sandy Denny - BBC Sessions 1971-1973
    http://www.sandydennyofficial.com/music/sandy-denny/the-bbc-sessions-1971-73/

This was released in 1997, but was immediately withdrawn due to a legal dispute. However, 3500 copies had already been distributed to stores those copies quickly sold out. I got mine through eBay a couple years later...it wasn't cheap.

Now there is the Live At The BBC box set with 3CDs and 1DVD.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I ended up with this one, but got it from a classmate after I missed out on the initial release. Despite knowing it was the recalled version he sold it to me for $5, because he was desperate for money so that he could buy something else from another student. Hint: he wasn't buying another CD with the money.

tkl7, Aftermath and john lennonist like this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

God forbid they use the same title a third time. I always wondered what the story was with "Money" and "Shine On" since Badfinger did all of them first.

Shak Cohen, hominy and ccbarr like this.
  15. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Probably plenty that I can't think of or don't know about. Two that spring to mind are:

The Beta Band's original 'Squares' CD single (backed with 'Won'), cancelled because another band released a song using exactly the same obscure sample at exactly the same time. The b-side was transfered to the replacement ('Broke') and 'Squares' came out in a different form later on. I'd pre-ordered it from the UK and it shipped pre-release, before it was officially pulled. Just checked on Discogs to confirm that this 'rarity' is indeed practically worthless! I guess all the copies of it were dumped on the market at some later point.

Guided by Voices' 'Motor Away' 7" mispress, with an unmixed version of their 'The Opposing Engineer Sleeps Alone' cover in place of 'Color of My Blade' on the flip. This doesn't actually appear to be all that rare either, and maybe it doesn't even qualify as 'withdrawn'!

16. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I got Negativland's U2 at Camelot Records in the mall, right off the shelf for a pittance.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac "Shrine 69." The version of "Whole Lotta Shakin Going On" has a verse that was edited between the promo copies and the official release. Lyric in question was "come on over baby, .... ..... ...."

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    erasmus and DTK like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ray Charles - Singular Genius - The Complete ABC Singles - 5CD-set, Concord. This set was withdrawn fairly quickly after its release when the Charles family/estate withdrew their permission to release it. I got one of the last copies from an internet store.

snowman872 and crispi like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Flame cover on CD as well.

20. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I have that LP, too. I bought it new.

I don't know how long it was out, but I have the 'John Lennon - Shaved Fish' CD pre-noise reduction. I bought this new.

ccbarr likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I actually still have my cassette of that! By the time I bought the vinyl the cover had been replaced.

22. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Cristina 'Is That All There Is'. Was due to come out on Island/Ze until Leiber and Stoller's publishers nixed it.

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Nah, it was more like four months. There was a lot of controversy (and the song was even released as a single), before Warners reedited and rereleased it under stockholder pressure.
    Supposedly they shipped half a mil, meaning there's probably as many albums out there with "Cop Killer" as without.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Killer_(song)

24. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Van Halen- Best of Volume One. Very early CD's had a version of "Running With The Devil" that was edited and arranged differently from the standard version. The mix is the same but the bridge and verses are chopped up differently. Quickly discovered and withdrawn.

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I have the Skynyrd KBFH CD that I bought at a record show before it was supposed to come out...only it never did come out. It was released years later but not as the complete tracklist if I recall correctly, as an "authorized bootleg" in a paper type sleeve, like a music.com thing.

marklamb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.