Records that you have that were immediately withdrawn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK on EMI (in company sleeve, not one of the earliest pressings).

Sex Pistols - Holidays In The Sun - UK picture sleeve was withdrawn, but they are quite common.

Buffalo Springfield - 1st LP - UK pressing that lists For What It's Worth on sleeve and label, but doesn't include it and plays Baby Don't Scold Me. I didn't know until I played it!

Rolling Stones - Some Girls with original inner sleeve - these are quite common too.

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks with original back sleeve. UK pressing.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies original UK with puppet sleeve.

Ramones - Leave Home with Carbona Not Glue - UK & US pressings. The US was very cheap, only £1. I see more of these than the later pressings with Babysitter on instead.

I probably have a couple more but can't think of any. No major rarities, though the Buffalo Springfield one is scarce.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Hollywood records version of Danzig 5

3. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Probably not 'immediately' withdrawn but i have the original version of the Jurassic 5 EP with the unedited Lesson 6: The Lecture. As far as i know the brief Led Zeppelin/Frank Sinatra sample/excerpts were removed on subsequent issues.

[​IMG]

jdrueke and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't know about that. Fantastic EP.

xybert likes this.
  5. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

ELO - Out Of The Blue United Artists version on blue vinyl with all inserts

6. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Probably will come out again in some form, just not in the immediate future, because it is full of illuminating work of Gregory's.

7. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Too much good stuff here to go unreleased, but won't happen imminently I bet.

8. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I have the original US issue of Paul McCartney's debut that is mistakenly credited to "Paul McCartney" instead of just "McCartney" per Paul's wishes.

9. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident

Monty Python Contractual Obligation album with the John Denver track, which was pulled by John Denver objecting to it

10. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I got one of them from Sears:

[​IMG]

11. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

The City, "Now that Everythings Been Said", now I have it on CD but according to the liner notes, at the time it was barely released before the record company (Ode) switched distributors, and it never came back to the stores again. Too bad, because it's a great album, essential for Carole King fans. Separate thread about this album coming soon

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    bibijeebies likes this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was extensively bootlegged in the 70s. The black and white cover is the giveaway.

bibijeebies likes this.
  13. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Interesting, did not know that

14. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Christy Moore Ordinary Man

The original issue was pulled over legal issues to do with lyrical content in They Never Came Home, a song about the Stardust nightclub fire in Dublin, 1981. It was replaced by Another Song Is Born. Initial second sleeves just had a sticker over the song on the track listing, though was later reprinted.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I have Denim's Summer Smash 7" single on fizzy lemon vinyl. Due to be released on 1st Sept 1997, but withdrawn immediately due to Princess Diana's fatal car accident in Paris the day before. Also banned by the BBC. It's a great song and would have been a massive hit (no pun intended) I think. All were destroyed except two boxes of 25 singles which were saved by unknown persons.

[​IMG]

I also have the Infected 12" by TheThe with the withdrawn Andy Dog sleeve of the devil masturbating with a Marigold dishwashing glove.

[​IMG]
    Replaced by this censored zoom version.
    [​IMG]

thematinggame likes this.
  16. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I looked for Duran Duran’s Carnival EP for years.
    Back in ‘82, I had thought about getting it but when I decided to it had already been deleted.
    Found a copy in great condition about 10 years ago.

17. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I know this one got pulled but to be honest I have never seen the version without the flames , wheras the other one is very common (at least here in Germany )

Coricama likes this.
  18. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

All what I have regarding LPs copies quickly withdrawn from the record shops (FWIK), not yet mentioned is:
    - Original UK Led Zeppelin IV, with stickers added on plum labels in order to cover credits issue.

The following has been already mentioned:
    - 1967 mono unpeeled first pressing of Velvet Underground & Nico with withdrawn "torso" back cover.
    - Live Yardbirds: Featuring Jimmy Page.
    - The first NY Comes A Time US pressing, the one with the track order that was not to Neil's liking (RE-2 marix).

And the following are also already mentioned, but I'm not sure if these ones were withdrawn from market, or simply blocked for various reasons (censorship, wrong mix, credits, typing errors ...) thus obliging the record companies to fix the problem in the next editions (please if you have info about, let me know!):
    - US Dylan's Blonde w/Claudia's pic inside the cover, mono.
    - Dylan's HWY61 stereo with 1A matrices on side 1 (alternate version of From A Buick 6), and word "meaningful" on back cover.
    - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks with the alternate versions of "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses".
    - First US edition "Rape cover" + oval sticker of Appetite For Destruction by Guns 'n' Roses.
    - Jimi Hendrix Electric ladyland nude ladies cover, original Track UK pressing.
    - US Led Zeppelin II RL (two copies).
    And...
    - UK Led Zeppelin II with "Wreck" mistake on plum label (not yet mentioned this one).
    - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, original UK vertigo, with credits to "Management/Jim Simpson/Big Bear/Birmingham" inside the cover (not yet mentioned this one).
    - US Bruce Springsteen, Bor To Run, with "JON" correction sticker on back (not yet mentioned this one).
    - US VU, 1969 VU live with Lou Reed, WLP, with uncensored pics inside gatefold cover. It has "unairbrushed" images of Maureen Tucker and Sterling Morrison's face, here fully visible. Standard pressings have their faces obscured with unseemly crescent-shaped shades, apparently for contractual or legal reasons (not yet mentioned this one).

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

It's pretty common here in the states too.

20. bataclan2002

Anyone have a CD issue of Sly and the Family Stone’s Fresh with alternate versions? Allegedly some of these were pressed in error and appeared on the marketplace early on (non-remastered era).
    I don’t have it but am curious about it.

21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Tad - 8-Way Santa (CD version, bought this last year)

[​IMG]

Apparently, the couple who discovered the image sued the band for the image, which was originally found at a thrift store.

DTK likes this.
  22. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Beach Boys Keepin' The Summer Alive promo interview album. Not sure what the story was with this. I only ever saw one copy in a store which I bought.

I also bought the McCartney interview album. I think that may have been an American import.

23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

This was the commonly available version in the UK for years and years.

Man at C&A, bataclan2002 and jsayers like this.
  24. bataclan2002

[QUOTE="scotto, post: 10920871
    The other one, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is an original issue of The Clash's Combat Rock with the sample of the 2000 Flushes commercial on "Inoculated City." The 2000 Flushes people sued and that mix was withdrawn soon after.[/QUOTE]

The 2000 Flushes sample was restored when the album was remastered. I have a non rm CD without it and a remastered version with it.
    Don’t know about vinyl.

25. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I picked this up on my way to work on 9/11/2001, the morning it was released....back when Tower Records opened early on Tuesdays. Got to work in time to see the news about the first plane hitting the WTC. Didn't even occur to me until much later in the day what I'd seen on the cover of my new CD. Of course, these were all pulled the next day. Still have my copy.....a fantastic show, but tough memories associated with the whole thing.

xybert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.