Rectifier tubes, the hidden "sweetness" of electronic gear, vintage and new, guitar amps and stereo.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

The preamplifier tubes on that amplifier are two 6SN7's. The single 6SL7 is the rectifier tube.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

A 6SL7 is not a diode, it's a double triode.

jeff

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's an odd comment that's for sure. I have 6SL7s as the driver tube in my SETs - the rectifier is a GZ37.

4. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

You're definitely right. It is. But if a triode can't be used to rectify a circuit, I have no idea what the hell the odd tube out is for! I would kill for a wire schematic of my amplifier. Impossible to find. I've searched and searched for one. There are two of every other tube size in that amp. It's just that single 6SL7 tube in between the two 6SN7's.

5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

It would seem to be odd as a rectifier, but, then again, my phonostage, Viva fono, uses two 300b tubes as rectifiers.

6. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Yeah that's an odd configuration! 300b's are also triode tubes. It also sounds like a pretty cool phono stage.

7. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

My Bob Latino 120 and my Opera Consonance both have tube rectification. It was a huge factor in choosing the Consonance.

8. vinylkid58

Maybe it's being used for voltage gain, which is what the tube was designed for.:sigh:

A 300b is not a diode either.

jeff

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

10. vinylkid58

Can't view any of the docs.

jeff

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I just posted this in another thread, but thought I should copy it here as well...

Last night I was doing some reading up on rectifier tubes. Right now there is a Sovtek GZ34/5AR4 in my '59 Fisher X-100, but from what I read they are well-regarded for ruggedness, but not so much for performance; something to do with plate voltage being too low. Vintage Mullards are said to be rugged and excellent-sounding. I almost pulled the trigger on a Matsushita - made in Japan supposedly with Mullard/Phillips tooling and said to be equal to a British Mullard.

Just this morning on eBay I spied a Sylvania-branded GZ34/5AR4, made in Great Britain by Mullard, for $52.75 shipped and I hit the BIN. That's at least 50% off the price of a Mullard-branded tube, so I think I made a good choice (hopefully).

[​IMG]

Blackburn factory, made the 2nd week of December 1972:
    [​IMG]

IanL, 33na3rd and 389 Tripower like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Back in the 1990s when I was piling up my tube stash, I needed a bunch of 12AU7's and 12AX7's for my guitar amps, etc. I knew a guy who knew a guy. When I got the tubes (they were lowly GE for one US dollar each, new old stock) I was mildly surprised to see that they all had "Made In England" etched on them. Well, I had to find out. And I did, all British Mullard made from the 1960s. I was astounded.

13. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I run a GE 5AR4 rectifier in my Bell 2440 integrated amp. It's probably the original. Also an RCA 5Ar4 in my Scott 299C.

If the "cheaper" (not really sure if they are) Russian tubes are not giving "to-spec" supplied plate voltage, then I would not use them. Plate voltage is very important, as this is the source that feeds into the filter caps for all of the supplied source voltages, i.e. 470, 370 100, what have you...

I do not understand how vintage rectifier tube branding difference affects sound, as long as the voltage is there, and the caps are keeping the DC filtering clean. I had no idea that the rectifier tubes affected the sound. I've only rolled 12AX7's, and tend to like smooth plate Tele's. There must be something to it as everyone is saying.

IMO the vintage amps deserve the real deal vintage tubes, as that's what they were designed around.

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

My understanding is that the rectifier's characteristics impact how "stiff" the power supply is and it is a combination of elements including the specs (which are available on those tube data sheets), along with the circuit design.
    I have rolled many rectifiers in my Allnic phono stage, and they all affect the sound to a noticeable degree. I was using a first series Mullard fat base (the tube made after the more desirable and costly metal base) and have rolled Tung-Sol, old RCA (there is one with double 'angled getters' that isn't crazy money that is supposed to sound great in the Allnics) and a few others. The phono stage unit is still in current production and is supplied with a new Chinese tube (i forget which, I can look it up). I'm currently using a GEC U-52, and it presents more "air" and detail while still providing rock steady bass.
    The guitar amp guys want "crunch" which is as I understand it "tube sag" from the rectifier. In hi-fi, that distortion is undesirable. I verified with the manufacturer/distributor that my various substitutions were permitted to stay within warranty.
    I do use a vintage Mullard in my Quad II power amps, just as Peter Walker intended.
    Rectifier rolling is still cheaper, for the most part, than small tube rolling or unobtanium power tube rolling. The WE rectifiers tend to be very pricey, but that has as much to do with the brand desirability as it does with the sound. I think I posted earlier to this thread DubStep Girl's Massive Rectifier shoot-out. Definitely worth reading if you haven't seen it.

389 Tripower likes this.
  15. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Sylvanias are good too.NOS Sylvania GZ34s can still be found for under $40.

See above.

This place still has a few left.

5AR4/GZ34 by SYLVANIA - Buy or Repair at Radwell - Radwell.com

16. action pact

That's the same as the one I just bought, I believe. Made by Mullard.

[EDIT] Maybe not... the one on the Radwell site says "USA" under the logo.

17. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

thanks, but they're not GZ32s

18. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Mullard GZ34 in my AB764 based Deluxe Reverb clone. Sounds great.

19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You said you've had trouble with the GZ 32 in your Quad IIs- I presume the older, original version of the amp and not the reboot?
    I know at the time I was having mine restored, someone raised the possibility of using the GZ 34 in it- not sure what if any changes were involved in the circuitry, but might be worth exploring if you are having issues with the original tube type. I put NOS Mullard GZ 32's in mine, but haven't run it long enough since restoration to encounter any problems. You live in the land of the original Quad- there have to be some pretty good folks there on tweaking the amp-- mine were sympathetically restored, with minor improvements- including power cord socket so I didn't have those Jones plugs or whatever they are called.

20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

They can be adjusted to take almost any valve. Lots changed them to take EL34s, but then they no longer sound like Quads. 34s don't work as stock, mine are stock.

21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I was focusing only on the rectifier, since that's where you said you had an issue. Mine are pretty much stock in terms of tube configuration- KT 66s on the power tubes. Sound glorious through a restored pair of old Quad ESLs. My comment was only meant to address what I thought you said was a repeated failure of the standard rectifier tube, and I know some have used the GZ 34 but don't know what that change would involve in terms of circuitry.
    NB: did you mean GZ 34 when you typed EL 34?

22. 389 Tripower

I found an Amperex labeled 5AR4/GZ34 in my small tube stash. It says "Made In Great Britain".
    Is it made by Mullard?
    The internals look identical to the image you posted above.

23. action pact

Probably... look for the Mullard factory codes:
    Tube enthusiast: know your tube codes.

24. 389 Tripower

Okay - Top row is hard to read since its mixed underneath the bugle boy icon.
    Top row = 1 or 4, 3, 2.
    Bottom Row = B, 2, I, 2.

So - I'm guessing Mullard (Blackburn, Great Britain), 2nd Week of 62. or '72?

25. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Yes

389 Tripower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.