Red Hot Chili Peppers: I'm With You (Specially mastered/optimized for iTunes)???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PanaPlasma, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just found this article at the Computer Audiophile website:

Submitted by The Computer Audiophile, Chris Connaker on Wed, 07/27/2011 - 18:45

The loudness wars and the push for convenience over quality have been going on for quite awhile. After Metallica's official Death Magnetic release was sonically usurpedlink by the sound quality of the downloadable Guitar Hero version many people thought things couldn't get any worse. I'm not saying things have stooped to an even lower sonic level, but the "compression kings" Rick Rubin (Producer), Vladimir Meller (mastering Engineer), and The Red Hot Chili Peppers are at it again. The Chili Pepper's newest album I'm With You is due out August 30, 2011. Listening to the first single The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie via the iTunes Store I noticed something that was a bit surprising but considering this production Trio's history of sonic destruction it did not shock me.

Mastered For iTunes

According to the notes on the I'm With You iTunes Store pagelink, "The album was produced by Rick Rubin and is mastered specifically for iTunes to optimize sound quality." I've been unable to find information explaining exactly what this means, but it does not sound good (pardon the pun). I hope there are at least two different mastered versions of the album released. I won't hold my breath.

[​IMG]

2. PanaPlasma

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean that there are different masterings, one for iTunes and one for the rest? Or that this album is mastered with iTunes in mind (whatever that would mean, probably more compression for desktop speakers or ear buds)? But every major release seems to be mastered that way, so what's special here?

In the first case (different masterings) it could even mean that the regular CD is less compressed than the iTunes version. But that would mean we get our wish and the loudness war would end in an compromise where everybody wins, and we know that's not how the world works.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes, I read that one last night. Some interesting disagreements over Rick Rubin's standing - although I think CC came off worst in that.

5. PanaPlasma

That's the question :)

Maybe they could use the vinyl-mastering for cd.

And a "louder master" for "lossy downloads".

6. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

Red Hot Chili Peppers "mastered specifically for iTunes to optimize sound quality"*

This does not sound like good news regarding the mastering for the new chilli peppers album. I guess with their "loudness war" history it's not surprising.
    Just the first time I've seen any album "mastered specifically for iTunes." :eek:

7. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

What the hell does "mastered for iTunes" mean??

8. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

That can't be good.:shake:

9. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

my guess is maximum average volume, loudness war style

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Good thing I don't buy their CDs otherwise I'd be bumming out right now.

11. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Rick Rubin + "Specifically Mastered for iTunes" + RHCP's track record = Very likely chance for a sonic disaster!

12. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

At least they dress well.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Member

Ha that's hilarious!

15. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

:laughup:

16. BradOlson

I agree, at least they admit that it will be a loudness war victim

17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Chad, get back to Chickenfoot!!!!

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:laugh:

19. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

yep! :laugh:

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Reminds me of the brickwalled Iggy / Stooges remaster from several years ago that had a sticker on the cello proclaiming
    Remastered For Maximum Impact!

21. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

At least you know they're wearing socks!

22. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

"maximized specifically for iTunes."

Fixed it for ya. :shake:

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, they gotta tweak it just right, so it'll fit through them flat connectors into yer iPod...! :shrug:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Conjure One - Forever Lost (NOT "mastered specifically for iTunes to lobotomize sound quality")

24. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

Too bad it doesn't say "mastered to preserve dynamic range and sound great when turned up."

I've been listening to a stadium arcadium vinyl transfer that actually sounds good at different volume levels, of course it's not the same master as the cd, or the iTunes store for that matter!

25. BradOlson

The vinyl is actually mastered by our host.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.