Red Hot Chili Peppers New Album - I'm With You - Out 8-30-2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid, Easily on Californication is a 3 as well.

2. HHR18

HHR18 Forum Resident

Just did a dynamic range analysis on the MP3s floating around the web. Here are the horrid results:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /I'm With You
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR3 over -4.40 dB 01 - Monarchy of Roses.wav
    DR4 over -5.69 dB 02 - Factory of Faith.wav
    DR3 over -5.23 dB 03 - Brendan's Death Song.wav
    DR4 over -5.70 dB 04 - Ethiopia.wav
    DR4 over -5.06 dB 05 - Annie Wants a Baby.wav
    DR4 over -5.10 dB 06 - Look Around.wav
    DR4 over -6.18 dB 07 - The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie.wav
    DR4 over -4.66 dB 08 - Did I Let You Know.wav
    DR3 over -3.93 dB 09 - Goodbye Hooray.wav
    DR4 over -5.08 dB 10 - Happiness Loves Company.wav
    DR3 over -5.50 dB 11 - Police Station.wav
    DR4 over -5.47 dB 12 - Even You, Brutus.wav
    DR4 over -6.35 dB 13 - Meet Me at the Corner.wav
    DR4 over -5.76 dB 14 - Dance, Dance, Dance.wav

Number of files: 14
    Official DR value: DR4

==============================================================================================

To make matters even worse, some songs on Californication had a DR of 6 while this albums only has 3s and 4s. I'm afraid I'm just not gonna listen to this album if it's butchered this way! They most certainly did not learn from there past mistakes!

3. Monarchy of Roses was recorded off of the radio, you can hear the back announce start right at the end.

This will be a terrible sounding CD, but that's what you get with RHCP.

4. Zimbie

Zimbie Well-Known Member

That's what you get with:

Recording personnel

* Greg Fidelman – mixing
    * Vladimir Meller – mastering
    * Rick Rubin – production
    * Andrew Scheps – mixing

Vladimir Meller + Greg Fidelman = I'd rather be deaf. I'm not really a fan of Rick Rubin either. He has been involved with a lot of great records, but unfortunately most of those are more or less brickwalled.

I still have hopes for vinyl release (Hoffman treatment please).

5. Bill Camarata

Bill Camarata Listening When Possible

Hear, hear(literally)! I heard some of it and it sounds tremendously brickwalled. I'll hold off for the vinyl. If it's anywhere near as good as Stadium Arcadium, I'm in!

6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Generic 21st century RHCP. The Hillel days are long gone.

7. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Is that even possible? Damn...

8. Well as I said it depends which of the mp3s floating around you analyse. P: I think we'll have to wait for .flac of the album. I'm pretty sure values of only 3 and 4 aren't representative. "Easily" to me definitely sounds worse than, say, "Brendan's Death Song".

9. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Wow....another RHCP album which has been brickwalled to death.
    The warning on the wikipedia album site was right >>>
    Next to "Vladimir Meller – mastering" it said:
    >>> STOP the Loudness War <<<

10. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"Goodbye Hooray"
    >>>

[​IMG]

11. Sheer idiocy.

I like about 2/3 of the tracks, but it will just be another RHCP album that I won't end up listening to very often.

That mastering is far worse than even the Stadium Arcadium CDs. WIth John's influence gone, they have gone back to absolutely killing the music.

12. HHR18

HHR18 Forum Resident

Why would it depend which MP3s you analyse? Unless they are specially mastered for say iTunes but that doesn't happen a lot. Anyhow, here is the DR of MP3s mastered from the CD:

Analyzed folder: /I'm With You
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR3 over -4.37 dB 01-red_hot_chili_peppers-monarchy_of_roses.wav
    DR4 over -5.68 dB 02-red_hot_chili_peppers-factory_of_faith.wav
    DR3 over -5.20 dB 03-red_hot_chili_peppers-brendans_death_song.wav
    DR4 over -5.62 dB 04-red_hot_chili_peppers-ethiopia.wav
    DR4 over -4.99 dB 05-red_hot_chili_peppers-annie_wants_a_baby.wav
    DR4 over -5.05 dB 06-red_hot_chili_peppers-look_around.wav
    DR4 over -6.13 dB 07-red_hot_chili_peppers-the_adventures_of_rain_dance_maggie.wav
    DR4 over -4.65 dB 08-red_hot_chili_peppers-did_i_let_you_know.wav
    DR3 over -3.85 dB 09-red_hot_chili_peppers-goodbye_hooray.wav
    DR4 over -5.07 dB 10-red_hot_chili_peppers-happiness_loves_company.wav
    DR3 over -5.43 dB 11-red_hot_chili_peppers-police_station.wav
    DR4 over -5.40 dB 12-red_hot_chili_peppers-even_you_brutus.wav
    DR4 over -6.33 dB 13-red_hot_chili_peppers-meet_me_at_the_corner.wav
    DR4 over -5.71 dB 14-red_hot_chili_peppers-dance_dance_dance.wav

Number of files: 14
    Official DR value: DR4

==============================================================================================

It's the same as my other DR range report so same mastering!

13. Because the difference between .mp3 and .wav is that the .mp3 is missing frequencies. The .wavs have more top-end, and the snares, which are usually responsible for the highest peaks, have lots of top-end that might change the waveform just a bit I imagine. Probably not more than a difference of 1 dB, though. (Compare lossy vs. lossless formats on dr.loudness-war.info, they offen have tiny differences)

14. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

This does not shock me at all with the album being squashed.

15. HHR18

HHR18 Forum Resident

I think you're right, MP3 is indeed missing some frequencies, but as you said yourself, they would account for a minor difference in dBs so I think the final album in FLAC or similair lossless formats will have the same dynamic range.

16. This doesn't make sense to me. Trust me, there will be plenty of highest peaks (= 0 dBA or close to it) available even on the mp3 version.

What is missing are the quite parts.

Differences in dynamic range between mp3 and wav are usually less than 0.1 dBA.

I don't care how good the music might be, I am not buying crap masterings like that anymore.

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I voiced my opinion at the Official Forum and let the Chili Peppers know they lost a sale.

18. The Stadium Arcadium forums aren't the official forums. ;P But they're by far larger.

19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

So does any one else have any more comments on the content of the album? I'm holding off on listening until I get the cd on release day, but I'm interested in other people's opinions on it.

20. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Paint by numbers album. Bored with it after giving it a few listens. Won't be buying it.

21. Will be buying it just for the reason that I bought their 9 previous albums plus Abbey Road EP plus Live in Hyde Park... I just can't not buy it. :) (Pathetic, I know)

22. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

"Rain Dance Maggie" (single) has DR5 (itunes download).

23. SnooP

SnooP New Member

Likely no point for a vinyl release. Greg Fidelman tends to brickwalls his mixes before they even get to mastering.

24. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident

My ears hurt just looking at those names!
    Surely if Steve worked on their vinyl, then he must have talked to Flea or Anthony about sound quality and how their albums are the "poster children" for bad sounding CD's.

Are CD's literally like 8-tracks now- no care or quality control? Just done out of the need fulfill the assumption that somebody will still buy these, but everything is either done for vinyl (the wealthy) or downloads (the poor). They don't care about the middle class!

25. Zimbie

Zimbie Well-Known Member

So this is going to be "Californication 2" (with most likely worse songs). :realmad:

They had John Frusciante in the band who is quite an audiophile if I'm not mistaken. I don't think (rest of) the RHCP members care about the sound quality that much. Surely they would have learned their lesson by now. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.