Red Hot Chili Peppers New Album - I'm With You - Out 8-30-2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Be sure to crank "Meet Me at the Corner"! :righton:

2. Bought I'm With You on CD an hour ago. The CD actually has slightly less dynamic range than the CD of Californication!

Compared to Californication:
    Here's the first two tracks, Monarchy of Roses and Factory of Faith. The red areas are clipped:
    [​IMG]

3. The CD is more clipped and compressed than the download version!

CD version top, download version bottom. This is Track 4 - Ethiopia, but all the others are the same. The download sounds better than the CD!

[​IMG]

4. nbakid2000

Thanks for the info, saw your post over at the Chili Peppers forum. Pathetic. Who knew that the iTunes version would be BETTER than the CD?

5. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Thanks for the information on the screwed sound of this CD. I won't buy this because I won't enjoy that crappy sound. Hopefully there'll be a "pre-mastered" version like for Californication. Or a needledrop if the vinyl is better.

6. If the vinyl is better, I promise a needledrop. ;)

7. That is funny.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm wondering if the delay in the vinyl is a good sign or bad sign? Maybe they put some care into it to get it mastered correctly and this is causing a delay as it takes more time. Didn't this happen with SA as well. If they were just going to master it from the digital version already out there, they could certainly reach this goal without such a deadline problem. I'll just download until the vinyl comes out.

10. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Yes! my CD-Box with T-Shirt arrived today!

The album itself is in a cardsleeve kind of a mini lp! so far so good:)

how it sounds? how it is mastered?

Well my blue meters of my McIntosh amp are moving and dancing;)

Yes the cd is compressed and loud, but i can't hear any distortion or clipping like on Californication!

there is also some dynamic, yes it could be better but it also could be worse.

one is for sure: the music is great:love: and this is the most important!:edthumbs:

11. The delay of the vinyl version could mean nothing at all and they're just hoping to milk the cash cow; people hear the vinyl is coming out one and a half months later, so they buy the CD out of impatience and then buy the vinyl as well when it comes out. That said; here's praying for a good mastering...

12. nbakid2000

There's distortion all over the album. Listen to Meet Me at the Corner and turn it up. It's the most distorted song on the album. I can heat it on my 10 dollar headphones and my Wharfedale speakers.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk Pro

13. kingofstoneage

maybe you're right, i listen only at low volume at the moment;)

maybe there is a difference between European and US pressings:confused:

on my system it sounds not bad......oh yes now i hear the distortion at the end of Meet me at the corner......:realmad:

what could i say? SSSTTTEEEVVVEEE please help us!!:angel::wave:

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I decided since I wasted $35 on the last three RHCP albums over the last few days I won't be giving them $10 more. I hate buying something that I can't stand listening too.

15. I've compared the mastering on the iTunes version (from the Australian iTunes store) and the Australian CD version that I bought yesterday.

The mastering is the same.

The mastering from the leaked MP3 version of the album is the one that has less compression; the average loudness is 2 dB less than the CD.

16. nbakid2000

Listened to this album again twice today. Very very solid album, an extension of what they were doing on Stadium Arcadium definitely.

Still sounds like crap. I'm trying to figure out why they made the iTunes better...*maybe Apple paid them to make it a better mastering? It looks like an effort to kill sales of the CD.

*conspiracy theory

17. The iTunes version ISN'T better. If you decode the iTunes files to WAV, then compare them to the CD, they are ALMOST exactly the same average loudness.

The only differences are minor effects caused by the fact the iTunes versions were lossy files.

The version of the album that is better is the leaked MP3 version, but the difference is ultimately pretty marginal. Compressed as hell compared to compressed to not quite as hell isn't much of a difference.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ShowsOn : thank you for your analysis

Red Hot Chili Peppers : I love you, but what you're doing to your music sucks

19. kingofstoneage

after some listenings i must say YES this album is LOUD :cry:
    normally i have to crank up the volume of my McIntosh MA6600 amp to 18-20% to get a listenable sound without disturbing sleeping people in my house.

with the new RHCP Cd 11-12% is enough!

BUT it is not as clipping as Californication was or is!! the new recording is easier to listen to.....

Sometimes you hear somekind of dynamic in the songs....:shh:

as i posted before the music is good and very enjoyable:righton:

i hope we get an audiophile vinyl pressings of this album in the next weeks:help:

20. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I'm usually pretty tolerant when it comes to a lot of modern mastering, but this one really sucks.

Anybody know the significance of the cover?

Attached Files:

21. I should stress that my comparison was between the Australian CD and the Australian iTunes download. It is possible, but unlikely, that releases in other areas are different.

The best sounding version so far is the MP3 version that leaked early last week. the CD is about 2 dB louder on every track compared to the MP3 version (analysed using WaveGain).

22. Well I guess if the significance was obvious they would just write those words on the cover. It was designed by Damien Hirst:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Hirst

He is famous for putting sharks in vats of formaldehyde, and a diamond encrusted platinum cast of a human skull that cost $14 million to make.

Life, love, drugs, death and sex are the basic themes of most RHCP albums, so the cover has something to do with at least some of those things.

23. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I think the cover has nothing to do with the songs or anything for that matter. They hired this guy to design the cover and they liked this design so they went with it. I don't think it's deeper than that, but I could be wrong.

24. nbakid2000

My mistake.

So there's 3 versions floating around is what you're saying.

25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I didn't find a thread and didn't want to start a new one for a quick question so here it goes. Are the remasters of the first four pre-BSSM albums OK to purchase or were they nuked like the recent albums?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.