Red tubes on MC275

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinylkarlito, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylkarlito

vinylkarlito Active Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I'm running two MC275's in mono and I've just had one display the three red flashing input tubes. I've switched on and off a few times and the one in question powers on and goes through the motion of amber and green illumination, then after a few minutes I hear an audible pop in the speaker and the three right hand tubes light up red. Does this mean the two adjacent KT88's have gone? The amp is only about 6 months old but I play it everyday for a couple of hours. Ironically the second amp is a couple of years old and hasn't has any issues. I've emailed my dealer but I'm not hopeful of a resolution as I'm in Dubai and there is no longer a McIntosh dealer here. I'm aware that if I replace the stock KT88's ill have to do all 8 which is going to be pricey. Would appreciate any advice from the more knowledgeable.
    Thanks, Karl

2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

With these amps I don't think you need to replace all of them at the same time. Do you have any spares? I'd try, one at a time, replacing the right channel tubes until you find the culprit.

3. vinylkarlito

vinylkarlito Active Member Thread Starter

I don't have spares but I could take tubes from the other amp and try them. I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens. Thanks snorker

4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, good point! I'd try that. Replace the tubes one at a time and see if you can isolate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.