Red West, Elvis' close friend and bodyguard, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Red West, Elvis friend and actor, is dead

[​IMG]

Red West, the longtime and sometimes critical confidante and bodyguard of Elvis Presley who became a successful film and television actor after the singer's death, died Tuesday night after suffering an aortic aneurysm at Baptist Hospital. He was 81.

Born in Bolivar, Tennessee, the athletic Robert Gene "Red" West befriended Elvis at Humes High School, where the 6-foot-2 redhead protected the smaller pre-fame Elvis from bullies on at least a couple of occasions, according to Presley lore. He worked for Elvis for some 20 years, occasionally taking small roles in such films as “Flaming Star” and writing or co-writing such memorable Elvis songs as the 1972 hit "Separate Ways," the holiday favorite "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" and the 1975 masterpiece of infidelity, "If You Talk in Your Sleep," recorded at Stax.

West also composed or contributed to songs recorded by other artists, including Ricky Nelson, Pat Boone and Johnny Rivers.

An ex-Marine, Golden Gloves boxer, karate instructor and genuine tough-guy-with-a-heart-of-gold (at least in his later years), West said it was his protective streak that motivated him to co-write "Elvis: What Happened?," a tell-all best-seller published only two weeks before Elvis' death on Aug. 16, 1977, that documented the singer’s drug dependency and unhealthy lifestyle,. West and his co-authors, fellow “Memphis Mafia” members and Elvis bodyguards Sonny West (a cousin) and David Hebler, assisted by Steve Dunleavy, a journalist, said the book was an attempt to encourage Elvis to give up his dangerous ways, but some outraged fans said the memoir was written out of spite, since the three men only a year earlier had been fired from Elvis’ employ by Elvis’ father, Vernon Presley.

As Elvis' friend, driver and bodyguard, West was among Presley's closest associates during the singer's meteoric rise, Army tour of duty, Hollywood stardom, late 1960s so-called comeback and 1970s decline. West's father, Newton West, died the same day as Elvis' mother, Gladys Presley, which only strengthened the men's bond. When Elvis was in the Army, West traveled to Germany to be nearer the singer, at Presley's request.​

---

Prior to being fired, West and some of Presley's other bodyguards had received criticism for what the reference book "Elvis: His Life from A to Z" describes as "heavyhanded tactics" involving "too much physical persuasion," in an attempt "to keep the weirdos away from Elvis." West always defended his work for Elvis, while Vernon Presley said the firings were an attempt to cut Presley's expenses.

Post-Elvis, West became a full-time actor, earning a regular role opposite star Robert Conrad in the late 1970s series “Black Sheep Squadron" (originally titled "Baa Baa Black Sheep"), about a squadron of World War II fighter pilots.

West's most famous role was in the 1989 Patrick Swayze cult classic “Road House,” but major critical acclaim eluded him until late in life, when he landed his first top billing and the first lead role of his career in the acclaimed independent drama “Goodbye Solo” (2008), which critic Roger Ebert labeled "a masterwork" and The New York Times called "a near perfect film."

“It took me 59 years to be an overnight success,” West told The Commercial Appeal, in a 2009 interview timed to the local release of the movie, in which he portrayed a taciturn old-timer contemplating suicide.

“I started out in this business as a stuntman, and it’s taken its toll on me,” West added. “I’ve had knee replacements, and I’ve got big calcium deposits in my neck from falling on my head so many times. So this is just in time.”​

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Respect.
    RIP !!!!!!!

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Oh man....Sonny and now Red. RIP!

Daily Nightly likes this.
  4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Rest In Peace Red. Fans can say what they want about the book Elvis: What Happened? but the fact is the book was written and published while Elvis was still alive. He would have had the ability to debunk or defend himself if he didn't pass a mere fifteen days later and the flood of expose books that came shortly afterwards and the ensuing forty years cannot say the same. I truly believe the book was a last ditch effort to get through to their friend rather than a money making exercise as nothing else and no one else was able to get through up to that point.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    sixtiesstereo and lightbulb like this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

R.I.P.

6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very sad news indeed. I still have the paperback version of that book he wrote. Enjoyed Red's acting roles as well. RIP Red

Daily Nightly and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A very accomplished actor too as was pointed out in the previous post. RIP.

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Very, very sad news. Seemed like quite a guy and one heck of a songwriter. RIP.

9. What an interesting life he led - marine, boxer, karate instructor, author, song writer, actor, and working for Elvis. Can't get much more varied than that!

artfromtex likes this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

RIP Red.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Nothing sad about going on to your reward. Say hello to Elvis for us, Red.

artfromtex likes this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I always liked Sonny and Red. They both passed in short succession of one another.

God bless their family and friends.

Myke likes this.
  13. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.