reel to reel question for Steve and co.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lushlife, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lushlife

lushlife New Member Thread Starter

Dear Steve and whoever else would like to respond,

Here's my question. I have a Revox B77 2 track reel to reel that runs at 71/2 & 15 ips. I use it to tape my albums both so I don't wear them out an d so I don't have to clean them, turn them over, get the covers away from the dog, etc. To me the results sound great, and the waves of nostalgia that using the unit provides are not bad either. However, several knowledgeable people have told me that things would sound better if I recorded to DAT. This would also be more convenient. I don't have the money for both, so I'd have to sell one to get the other. Any suggetions, opinions?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

As long as your Revox is working properly and the heads aren't worn out, keep it. It is a KILLER machine and should make wonderful recordings. :)

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Definately. Analog tape is much more sturdy. Dats are great. Wonderful. Ain't nothing like a 15IPS. ;) Don't lose what cha got.

4. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

lushlife,
    I have a couple Revoxes myself. You should keep yours.

1) Unless the convenience of DAT appeals to you.

2) Unless you have a storage problem--lack of space.

3) Unless the much higher cost of open reel tape is a factor.

But don't switch for sound quality.

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Lushlife,

I have recorded hundreds of programs on my reel machine and quite frankly, I like the results better than when I record directly to my professional CD recorder. There is a warmth and definition that I cannot capture or hear on my CD recorder. Although Steve could give you more details and tips, I believe the keys to maximizing your reel recordings are using a good quality tape and driving the tape record levels at just the right level to get the most of of the tape that you use--like hitting the sweet spot. Personally, I use a high output professional tape and drive the peaks up to an occassional +10 on the VU meters. The results are a very high output with full a dynamic range. The sound has an analog warmth. I then make my dubs to CD from the reel machine.

Good luck with your recordings!

Bob

6. lushlife

Thanks guys

Steve & co.
    I appreciate the feedback.:) Great site!
    Cheers,
    Lushlife (my favorite melody, by the way)

7. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Coletrane's version ,I presume?

8. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

There have been articles over the years including just in the past few months concerning preserving recordings---even new digital ones. The recommendation for best fidelity and long life-- dub all two track digital masters at 30 ips or the fastest you have on to reel to reel tape. This comes from the MIX, EQ, Home Recording and other expert type folks. I bet if you don't want that reel to reel, someone who appreciates the super analog sound would take if off your hands!!!

KEEP IT!!

9. lushlife

lushlife

Dear Ronflugelguy,
    Yes, of course, but I also like the way Coltrane & Johnny Hartman interpret the song. Nor can I fault anything Sarah Vaugn does with any melody, especially that one.

I also love Goodbye Pork Pie Hat but that's too long for a name. Thanks for asking:)

Cheers,
    Lushlife

10. mazort

mazort New Member

Lushlife

What a great user name, how 'bout the avatar to go with it?

Pork Pie Hat would've been easy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.