Reference 3A—opinions, impressions, dealings

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jupiterboy, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Sorry for chiming in late. I have what I believe to be an original pair of 3A MM "Midi Master" speakers, built in Antibes (which is located at the Côte d'Azur in Southern France) in 1982. Here's a picture from a German web site (mine are black though): http://www.hifi-studio.de/hifi-klassiker/3a_Audio-Design/Midi-Master/3a_Audio-Design-MidiMaster.htm

For the last three months or so they have been in my main system since one of the Martin Logan CLS's has given up the ghost. At the moment they are powered by two VTL Triode 25 amps. As a hifi-dealer recently told me, they used to demo the speakers back then with this very amps, something I didn't know when I bought them. The speakers almost make up for the bass the Tiny Triodes don't have. With a beefy SS amp they will produce a mighty and controlled bass that is (like sublemon said) probably the best you'll ever hear from a two way monitor.

Imaging is also extremely good - for me the next best thing to a Martin Logan CLS. It's so detailed and "clean" (for a lack of another word) that most other speakers will sound more or less veiled. You hear intercuts and mikes being opened and closed and all kinds of stuff usually attributed to Electrostatics, but at the same time with that gutsy bottom end you won't get from panel speakers. This may well be due to the crossoverless design. Yet, the MM's are best combined with either a tube or Class-A SS amp to smooth things out. An SS amp leaning towards the "analytical" or "cold" side will produce an audible edginess that's far from the seemless woofer/tweeter transition provided by, let's say, a Celestion SL600 which is another crossoverless design. The SL600 btw has a sweeter and more restrained overall presentation and less bass, albeit needing much more power to come alive.

I have never heard one of Reference 3A's newer models (are they even sold in Europe?), but some of them just look like an updated version of the original design, so they may share its virtues or even surpass them.

Arne

Fiddlefye and jupiterboy like this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue Thread Starter

These are distributed and manufactured in Canada now. Great sounding speakers, as you describe.

Fiddlefye likes this.
  3. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

And they are a real bargain used since they tend to be overlooked. Although the reviews were splendid, 3A somehow never became a household name and very few hifi studios seemed to carry them. I think I paid around € 300 or 350 three or four years ago. IIRC, the original version retailed for around DM 4.000 which was roughly the price range of Linn's then-flagship speaker Isobarik DMS and about the monthly salary of an associated attorney.

4. jupiterboy

Everybody buys the big names. The small shops don’t have much representation. I drove up to demo some and liked them. Ended up going with something similar but more suited to my room.

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Have you ever posted your thoughts on your new speakers yet? I would love to hear your impressions some time.

6. jupiterboy

I could not send them back and remain very happy with them, although I have some room nulls to address and found them more difficult to position than my previous. I have also gone to a biwire configuration which seems to be better.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...folded-transmission-line-loudspeakers.365267/

7. James Sealy

James Sealy New Member

I currently own a pair of Grand Veenas and they sound amazing, but they do need a large room. My room is 20' x 14' and it is borderline. I have heard them with tubes but I chose the solid state route. I am driving them with a Modwright KWI 200 integrated amp and it is a match made in heaven. If your room is too small go for one of the smaller 3A'S. I have listened to the Episode and the DeCapo's and thoroughly enjoyed them.

uphoria6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.