Refurbished Audio CD Recorders-your thoughts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Done A Ton, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain Thread Starter

Reading reviews of audio cd recorders on Audio Review, I'm struck by how every brand has someone who has had nothing but trouble with their purchase. I'm starting to think that a refurbished model might in fact be a better choice than a factory fresh unit. I'd like to think that common problems would have been fixed before the unit is shipped back out. Anyone here have a refurb (I know Rudy does), and how has it worked out for you?

Thanks,

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

My girlfriend bought me a refurbished Harman Kardon CDR-30 for Christmas 2001. I had to send it back because there were some problems but the replacement unit has worked great ever since. I love it.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I bought a refurbished marantz cd player and have had no problems with the unit for years. I bought a refurbished model 88 radio and had problems. I ended up getting a new unit.

4. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I've bought refurbished Marantz stuff from http://www.accessories4less.com (including a bedroom system with a cdp) and it was fine.

For my CD-R burner, I bought mine "experienced" from Guitar Center and it has no problems. Probably took more of a beating there.

Any reputable place will give you at least a reasonable return period and warranty (prob at least a 90 day warranty).

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I bought a refurbished Plextor recorder on their website - it was about $75 cheaper. I returned the first one because just about everything I burned skiped. No problem returning it within 3 months. They sent me another one and it is working fine. (Except for the apparent inherent incompatibility between Plextor burners and Linn Ikemi players).

6. I have a Pioneer 509, bought new a few years ago, which is mentioned prominently at AudioReview as a problem child.

In my case, I found that this player was very, very finicky about the CDRs I would feed it. My first batch of CDRs were Memorex. The first disc I burned was fine, but every one thereafter would skip and distort badly.

At that point, I spoke to a tech at Pioneer (who, amazingly, seemed to really know his stuff). I told him what was happening, and straight away he said, "are you using Memorex media?"

He said that he had received lots of calls, and his suggestion was to try TDK. I did, and they worked perfectly.

So, for me the lesson learned is that any given machine may have big problems with any given brand of CDR. And unless that has changed, I would bet that a lot of returned/refurb players are probably fine, given a bench check, and then sold.

I think the trick is to find media that your recorder likes. In Pioneer's defense, the manual lists media that they say has been tested and found to work with their machines. TDK is on that list. Memorex is not.

IMHO, AFAIC, YMMV.

BGL

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Got a cheap Sony dual-deck from the Sony outlet up at Birch Run. The price was right, and under light use, it has worked fine. It has some stupid features (like a set of bar graph meters with no markings...you have to guess where it will go "into the red"), but otherwise it's been fine.

One thing about refurbished: they are likely store or mail-order returns, slightly used (if at all), or may have had a minor early problem that was repaired. Heck, I'd almost rather have something that's been thrown onto a bench and tested before I buy it. I've bought a lot of refurbed merchandise over the years and never have had anything go wrong with any of it (other than obsolescence or just wearing out).

8. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I was at a Sony outlet store in Kenosha, WI. I looking at their refurbished portable Mini Disc player/recorder's. I asked a woman behind the counter, how much this particular model in silver was and she replied $89.99. Well that was a bit more that I wanted to spent at the time so I thanked her and started to turn around and leave. She calls out to me "do you mind blue?" I said no, blue is fine for me, why, she tells me that the same model in blue was $39.99. I bought the blue model so fast (I was afraid they would change their mind :p) and got out of there. I could not believe it, everything that came with this new, came with the one I bought, re-changeable battery, headphones, manual, wall charger and a remote control. Anyway, that was 3 or 4 years ago and I have not had one problem with it. Still works like new, probably better than new. I have no problem buying refurbished, if the savings are there. Sometimes there is and sometimes the price difference is so small, you're better off buying new. Just my 2 cents!

9. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I have a Pioneer PDR555RW CD Recorder I bought back in 99 or 2000 and I have never had any problems whatsoever with it. It makes very good copies and I can't say anything bad about it really. The list price at the time was around 900 dollars but I picked mine up through Ubid for 500. The prices have gotten much cheaper now and used can be had for under a couple hundred I am sure.

I am currently using my Music Hall CD25 connected with Digital Optical to the Pioneer to burn disks.

I use this machine quite often as well so it is not as though it just sits and collects dust. I love to make comps with it. The only thing I have noticed is that the Car factory player sometimes does not track my cdr's made on it that well. Sometimes it hesitates before changing tracks. I never use it at all for playback though , just for making cdr's.

10. Done A Ton

Well, I just bought a JVC XL-R5010BK refurb on ebay for $162 Buy It Now. I figure that once I get a CD burn of my Roger Waters Amused To Death that I'm happy with, I can sell the LPs on ebay to pay for this thing. Wish me luck, and thanks to all for your insights and opinions.

11. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

DON, Don, don...

Sorry dude, but...man, that is just NOT how it works around here. You just CAN'T sell your original vinyl after burning a CDR...Someday you might need it again...

Besides, you are a COLLECTOR. The whole idea is to get MORE stuff. :D

peace,

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Since mine's a dual-deck, I'm trying to get in the habit of making copies of any CDs I take in the car, or portable. 30-40 cents (with jewel case) is cheap insurance, I think. :)

Sometimes they have some incredible deals! My dual-deck CD-RW was a good one. My MD portable was $49, and the MD deck for the audio system was $139. This past holiday season, they had MD players for around $45, and recorder/play MD portables for maybe $70. About a week after the Wal*Mart DVD player trampling fiasco, they had a DVD player for $39, and their popular DVD/VHS deck for $99. (And I'm still kicking myself for not getting that one!! :mad: ) One Sony ES receiver, with all the latest bells and whistles and in a nice silver, was only $499; I believe it retailed for well over $1000. Headphone radios, heaphones, remotes, clock radios, cordless phones, etc...they sometimes have some killer deals on those. I avoid the accessory shelves since those are full retail pricing, but otherwise it's hard to leave with out getting something. :D

13. Done A Ton

Getting more stuff has never been a problem, and if I can get the $250-350 Amused To Death has been going for, I can buy even more stuff. And even though sound wise I prefer the LPs to the gold cd, if I'm going to listen to this I put on the cd so I can listen without changing sides four times.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sometimes refurbished component have or had just cosmetic imperfections. So don't assume that the problem has to be with its operation.

Regarding CD recorders, I bought a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 brand new and it's been great. If you can find a refurbished one from a reputable dealer, grab it!

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Me too. The only originals I take in the car are in-print CDs that are easily replaced. However, if I find myself listening to any of them a lot, I will make copies for use out of the house. I never take hybrid SACDs out of the house, just CD-Rs of the CD layers. It's been said that SACDs are more sensitive to scratches due to the smaller pit size, so I'm not taking chances with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.