Refused "The shape of punk to come" on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mondie, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is one of my favourite albums from the 90's, the Swedes were at their peak with this release. The Production quality on this album is excellent, the CD sounds very nice especially given the punk aspirations of some of the songs, but l was wondering if its even better on vinyl?

There seems to be a couple of pressings around and surprisingly they are not expensive at all like l expected. Does anybody have experience of the Swedish press vs. Epitaph records?

Thanks,
    mondie

2. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

I have the first Epitaph pressing (now OOP) and it sounds very, very good. Better than the CD, of course! I have an extra copy sealed…

3. pedrohead

pedrohead Forum Resident

I also have the Epitaph vinyl and it is great.

4. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Amazing album indeed.

5. Mondie

Thanks fella's, l might just go for the Epitah pressing then.

Cheers,
    mondie

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

WOW

I had never heard this one before tonight. I picked up the reissue LP from Epitaph, cleaned it up, and I just listened for the first time. Amazing. What a great album. The drummer is absolutely out of his mind, the bass sounds nice and fat, and as mentioned above, the production quality is great. It's a strange mix of hardcore and metal, with some nice weird parts between songs, mostly electronic and/or jazz, quiet breaks before everything gets hectic again. Throughout, there are other instruments placed where you wouldn't expect them, including strings in one section. Beautiful. This one will be getting played a lot for awhile, I can tell. Even the album cover/artwork is great.

Also, check this out! The double LP comes with a DVD documentary of the band, called "Refused Are F___'ng Dead", and ALSO comes with a download code for a 320kbps mp3 version of the album, as well as a live show from '98. My pressing has the slightest of warps, but it is absolutely silent, no surface noise at all, and has some solid dynamics. All this was $20 new at Newbury Comics.

I almost embarrassed that I had never heard of this album before. I'm also really surprised not to see more posts on this board. I pretty much expected to see pages and pages of stuff on these guys.

Are there any other fans here? Has anyone compared the original pressing to the new one? Are there other albums of this band that I should seek out? I'd highly recommend this one to anybody interested in creative, hard-edged, energetic music. Just head out to the store, or online, and pick it up, trust me.

[​IMG]

black sheriff likes this.
  7. 33Sound

33Sound New Member

I have the Epitaph pressing as well and it's far better than the CD. It's a killer record that is still quite underrated in my opinion.

8. johnnypaddock

Welcome to the forum... not bad for post #1 huh? I like this one so much, I'm tempted to pick up an original pressing and compare. The reissue sounds great. I can't believe the lack of attention this record has gotten.

9. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

I've been meaning to get this album, regardless of format, for nearly 10 years now and for some reason just haven't gotten around to picking it up. My brother introduced it to me back in 2000 and it blew me away, as well. Now I know to keep my eye out for the Epitaph vinyl...thanks for the head's up!

10. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Great album. Got it on CD, LP (on the Burning Heart label) and DVD-Audio.
    I would recommend checking out the 5.1 remix on the DVD-Audio while it's still available.

I have been meaning to check out the recent reissue with the live CD, but I haven't done so yet. I already own the DVD with the documentary, though, so I'm not sure whether it's worth buying a fourth copy just for the live album.

11. D Schnozzman

Correction: I had another look at my LP and it's a US pressing licensed to Epitaph, so I guess the same as all yours. I must needledrop that puppy one of these days.

I'm planning on going to Sweden later in the year and will keep my eyes out for Refused vinyl (the EP collection CD is excellent) but I didn't find any there last time round. Some nice record shops in Stockholm.

12. Mondie

Great to see a few more lovers of this album. l got onto this LP about 5 yrs ago when l saw the clip for 'new noise' on the box. It blew me away, then l got the CD and found the whole album was of equal greatness and originality. Why this album is so ignored beats me!

13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

14. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

15. johnnypaddock

A great deal... they also have a DVD-A of the album, in a new mix, for just $11. Pretty sick. Unfortunately I don't have a DVD-A player anymore, but that would be interesting to hear.

Newburycomics.com also has the LP/DVD set for $16.99

Listened to the LP's again last night. Phenomenal.

16. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

I didn't know that Epitaph's CD pressings were that bad.

17. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

18. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Has anyone done a comparison of the reissue lp to the original Swedish press yet?

19. D Schnozzman

I only have the US LP, but I gather the reissue is a double LP, while the original is a single, so I'm guessing the reissue is cut a bit hotter.

Having spent four weeks in Sweden recently, and trawled through just about every record shop in Stockholm, I didn't see a single LP copy of TSOPTC. Maybe it's more common in Malmö.
    I did see one copy of Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent, but it was too expensive for me.

Anyway, my US LP sounds pretty nice. No idea whether the Swedish original is any different. All of which is a long-winded way of saying "no, sorry."

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I was able to still get the DVD-Audio disc from Amazon.com, where Amazon fulfills the order for Newbury Comics.

It was $4.76 and it sounds great, with a great surround mix:

http://www.amazon.com/Refused-Shape...e=UTF8&qid=1345838581&sr=1-1&keywords=refused

I was able to get it with free shipping since I purchased it with some items.

Get it while it still available for those interested.

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Looks like a lot of Pitchfork's readers haven't heard of it either, it didn't even make the write-ins for the People's List.

I agree totally with johnnypaddock about this amazing album and have nothing more to add.

22. D Schnozzman

23. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

Just downloaded the HD Tracks version - it sounds HUGE and awesome. Haven't compared it to the double vinyl yet. This may be
    just a rip of the DVD-A, who knows? I can't do DVD-A so this is a good option, well worth $18. BTW thanks to
    y'all for recommending this album. I don't keep up with modern music (besides jazz) so I need recommendations. This
    album is a killer. Such a unique album - my daughter asked me to turn it down yesterday.

24. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Great news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.