Rega Ania MC cartridge and Fono MC now available in the USA

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

It is bushing mounted. I had a look at one today under my scope. It's a nicely designed and constructed cartridge. The design of the mounting surface, bosses and inserts is pretty slick, and the material of the cartridge seems to be non resonant, sort of like the Ortofon Quintet but using a one piece design.
    -Bill

dbsea and Shiver like this.
  2. ppaul

ppaul Active Member

Hi Bill, I have a P6/ Ania/ Aria combo and wondering if the Apheta 2 will be a worthwhile upgrade? at almost double the cost of the Ania I’d want to hear at least 50% improvement, I’m very happy with the Ania, but I remember going from the Elys to Exact on my RP3 and thinking “yes that was worth the extra cost” also rumours of the new P8 to be released later this year, the Apheta is probably a better match for that TT

3. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

How on earth do you quantify a 50% improvement in something like audio?

PhxJohn likes this.
  4. KT88

The Apheta is certainly a better performer. It's more dynamic and will grab more details from the groove. As to how much better, it'll depend on what you want most from your system. If it's more detail, then it should fit that description. The % improvement thing is of course subjective. I'd say that it your example with the MM upgrade is representative of what to expect, but at this level, I'd think that there is a little less room for improvement. So better, yes, but also more expensive per % of that and it should also be viewed with a more reasonable expectation of just how much farther the resolution can be expanded. The P6 / Ania is getting you very close to what is offered on the disc, so further improvements are going to be harder to come by IME. At this point, I think it's more about what you can afford and what you want rather than about value. I mean, at over the $1k price point for a phono cartridge, most people you run into at the supermarket will raise an eyebrow when you suggest that it was a great value. That could apply about as easily to any audio product, as they are not necessities, and high end audio products are solid luxuries. So go ahead spoil yourself, but don't expect to be able to justify it as being a freebee.
    -Bill

Guth and PhxJohn like this.
  5. KT88

In your head... ;)
    -Bill

PhxJohn and Mintsauce like this.
  6. ppaul

ppaul Active Member

Thanks Bill, I’ll see how much I get back on my tax return

7. Update:

A month ago I bought a demo RP8. Today my local stereo TT guru came by and installed a new Ania MC cart and Rega Aria stage. He told me it would take about 100 hours to fully break in and smooth out for the pair but I gotta say this is the biggest improvement I've experienced right off the bat. I'm sort of curious how this pair would have added to my RP6?

After just two ours of playing records I don't see how I would ever go back to an MM cart. As nice as the Exact was, the Ania MC and Aria are a wonderful match. Can't even imagine how the Apheta 2 at a grand more would sound better...... I assume it would add something else??

I strongly recommend that any RP 6 or P6 owner consider the Ania MC the next time they upgrade. My RP 8 had a very slight hum issue with the Exact (only could hear before a record played) but with the Ania the table is totally silent. No excess crap through the speakers at all.

Bananas&blow, Gavinyl, Steve0 and 4 others like this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

How do you like the Rega Aria phono stage?

9. It’s only been 5 hours of continual playing but so far great. But I got the stage and the Ania Cart installed at the same time. Fantastic upgrade even before the burn in period.

punkmusick and bluesaddict like this.
  10. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I've had my P6/Ania and Rega Aria phono stage for a couple months and like you don't see myself going back to a MM either. The sound only gets better every time I play another album. The Bass is starting to get fuller along with the mid. I'm adding speaker stands this weekend so we shall see what comes of that. Moving the tweeters up to ear level. :agree:

slinger333 and KT88 like this.
  11. ppaul

ppaul Active Member

I too, won’t go back to an MM cart after hearing the Ania, hoping to get an Apheta 2 if I get enough back in my tax return this yr

12. zilob55

zilob55 New Member

So I purchased the Planar 6 with Ania cart and paired it with the Schiit Mani preamp which can accommodate MC cartridges. I liked the combo but...

Curious about possible improvements by stepping up to the Fono MC, I picked one up. My problem is that I have been challenged finding the proper settings with the dip switches for the Ania. I know Rega has the settings published on their site for the Ania/Fono combo but I don’t like the results. Feels like the gain is too high or something compared to the Mani which has a slightly lower gain and a more laid back sound IMO.

I was curious what settings others are using here so that I can give them a shot. I know this is a good combo but I just haven’t seem to have been able to find the settings.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

13. Don’t know but I went with Regas suggested setting for the ania and aria and it was spot on.

I’m sure someone will chime in on your specific question

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Why not experiment and see what sounds best to you? I think the Ania is supposed to be loaded around 70 ohms as I recall but maybe another setting might sound better? As far as gain, I would try a lower lower setting and see if it sounds more musical. Are there just 2 gain settings on the stage?

15. zilob55

zilob55 New Member

I’ve been experimenting but haven’t found a combo that has really wowed me. Right now, I’m listening to Fleet Foxes with the dip switches 1. On 2.Off 3.On 4.Off and seeing if it hits that sweet spot.

I’m a little new to these types of settings as this is my first phono preamp with this many loading options.

Thanks!

chacha likes this.
  16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I just took the plunge on stepping up from my Exact 2 to the Ania. Using it with the Aria. Hope I like the difference. The Exact 2 still sounded quite nice...

17. Give it Time but I heard an immense improvement even right from the start.

18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

If I remember correctly you did say that your Exact had something like 4000 hours on it.

19. I figure more it was about 3000 and still sounded great. The MC combo is just totally different. Better in every way.

20. Conster

Conster Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone here with a P6 ania has heard both the latest fono mc and the aria in that combo.
    Expecting everyone to report the Aria is better for obvious reasons however the fono mc was specifically designed with this combo in mind so wondering if synergy trumps spending more

21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Overthinking this. The Aria is Rega also, so its going to have synergy with the Ania also. What is the rest of your system, and what is your budget? The 1500+ Aria will sound better if your downstream components are up to the task.

22. Conster

Conster Well-Known Member

I actually subscribe to the Linn philosophy that says source is the most important. But I do have top of the line exposure electronics as well as a rega elicit in a office system. I also have a hana sl on another table hooked up to a Musical Surroundings Nova Phenomenon which sounds brilliant but it sounds a bit peaky with the Ania. Wondering if that is a break in issue or if indeed the rega fono stages would work better with the P6 Ania

23. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The Ania does need about 50 hours break in. I am using mine with a Sutherland KC Vibe and love it in my system. I am loading it at 100 ohms with 60 db gain. Give it a little time to break in and see if that smoothes it out for you. If not, then try it with a Rega stage.

bluesaddict likes this.
  24. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

slightly off topic...is it even worth it to go from an Elys2 to an Exact? i can only assume the Ania would be a big jump.

25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Yes. The Exact is a much better cartridge than the Elys2.

Eigenvector and Marshall_SLX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.