Rega Apollo-R CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, in either case, sounds like a plan. I think you'll like the Rega DAC. Hopefully it won't misbehave!

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

It's going to be fun to explore all of the new possibilities. The ole glass is definitely half full!

3. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Bingo. If it is indeed a power issue, and the Apollo is designed to only operate under ideal conditions, that is a very serious design flaw. I hope it all works out and you can get back to simply enjoying the music.

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

That's what I was expecting.

5. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

So Art - how'd it all work out? Looking at your gear profile looks like you dumped the Rega DAC?

6. Don't know how it's working out with Art, but in the meantime my Apollo-R has developed weird issues--takes a long time to initialize the CD, takes a long time to start playing the first track, oftentimes does not play the first track of a CD and skips to the second, takes an awful long time to play a track if you skip to it manually . . .

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Looks like Art's gone Marantz(?); I've been running Rega DAC for awhile now, no issues. Transport is a lowly Sony BluRay deck ($60 from Best Buy). Best CD playback I've had here (or nearly so - I had Naim CD5x for awhile).

8. Art K

Yeah, I don't do computer files so no need for a DAC. Transports were so influential to the overall sound (I tried several from different manufacturers) with the DAC that I decided that it was redundant owning a quality player and DAC. I have a Marantz SA8805 at present but will eventually upgrade again to either the LM515 that I had (which had shipping damage without any more in stock) or some other player. For now I am enjoying the Marantz.

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My Apollo R still works fine, but I use it only occasionally as I have my MAC Mini connected to the same DAC R. Hope your issue is a simple one.

10. Art K

Oh and I gave up on the Apollo-R. It is a fabulous sounding deck with a ton of issues. The distributor and manufacturer won't admit it however I had the their biggest national dealer tell me that they both admitted the problems to them...the problems are real. I didn't go through four of them because I enjoy 3-4 hr round trips to return them, and I especially resented the dealer, distributor and manufacturer implying that I did. Shame on all of them. The national dealer that I am referring to, who admitted to me that there have been so many problems that they try not to recommend them, said that Rega or the distributor had told them that the issues have been resolved. The dealer was skeptical to say the least.

11. Art K

Another thing. In order to follow up on the dealer, distributor and manufacturer implying that I had a power issue in my home I hired the best electrician that I know to thoroughly go through my home. I also contacted the power company, an electronics tech and an engineer and advised them of the issue...I spent a friggin' bunch of money and the conclusion of all of the them was that my power was within spec and that if the Apollo-R had problems with the minor voltage fluctuations that were within spec that the piece was poorly designed. I loved that doggone thing and really, really wanted it to work out. That is why I bought a 4th one (from a different dealer than the first 3, a dealer that quickly confirmed that I was correct and sent it back).

bhazen likes this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Mine looks good in it's place on the shelf.

13. Art K

...and sounds good as well.

Ntotrar likes this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

For now any way. Not happy to hear of your trouble with it. Still a Rega fan boy club member.

15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Perhaps clean the lens? Maybe.

16. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Art -- forgetting about the quality issues you experienced (I always found the 'incompatible power' suggestion ludicrous) -- how's the sound of the SA8005 compared to the Apollo?

17. Art K

Gosh I have answered this so much now...it's the difference between Marantz and Rega, simply put. Rega is a bit more organic and tonally natural. Cymbals are better, full range of the piano is better. The Marantz is better balanced top to bottom and has a bigger soundstage. Both time well...Marantz every bit as good as the Rega in that regard. Rega's imaging, though not pin point, is more realistic. Overall I prefer the Rega but not by much. If the Rega had worked out I would still own it and would not have moved on. I am a big fan of the Rega sound.

bhazen likes this.
  18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Art, so sorry you've had these problems with Apollo ... Those who suggested the problem was with the power grid behaved, ahh, dubiously. :mad: I Googled "Rega Apollo R problems" and saw posts on other audio websites from users having problems - sounds like maybe the units' operating system may have inherent flaws.

This appears to be a blot on Rega's rep, a bit; I hope it's resolved in a global fashion (if you had those issues, I'm sure you weren't alone.) Pretty much everything Rega I've owned has worked perfectly*; I'd hate it if the marque went downhill. They're that rare item: affordable (and groovin') high end audio.

*My DAC gives me a solid dose of that organic Rega sound; maybe that could be the way to go in future (or again?)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Wonder if they've worked out the issues since? Anyone know if the transport is different comparing the Apollo-R and Saturn-R?

20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Mine is less than a year old and no problems as of yet.

21. Art K

I've kind of addressed that by discussing the fact that the transport was so much of the sound when I had the DAC that the only way my ears heard it as the Rega sound was when I was using a Rega player as a transport. Perhaps Rega will make some changes to an upcoming model. I'm dumb enough to try again.

bhazen likes this.
  22. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I had 4 of them and saturns too. All had the known issues. Seems some have trouble and some don't. Rega never acknowledged. My theory is that there are bugs in Regas CD software system (which was entirely new and different from the usual "Red Book" one developed by Sony/Phillips). The customer service was excellent on replacements. Anyway at the end of the day, I actually preferred the sound of my Jupiter 2000 which has worked perfect for over 10 years now. I still use a Rega system.

bhazen likes this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I wonder how much the sound is compromised by feeding my Rega DAC with a $59 Sony BluRay player?

Can't afford a Saturn R right now, and based on all the preceding, I'm not chancing it on an Apollo R ...

24. I had an original Planet CD player, in that cool cast metal case, and it worked wonderfully for a long time.

I'll try cleaning the Apollo-R lens. I hope that's all it is!

bhazen likes this.
  25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I still have one; works fine except about two minutes into playing a disc, it starts skipping; finally gets a grip about 5-6 minutes in, then plays the rest of the disc fine. :):( They tell me no-one makes the transports anymore, and I've tried all suggested fixes, no soap. Which kills me; the sound of that thing is truly "analogue", warm and natural. Better, IMHO, than the Rega DAC even.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.