Rega Brio-R & Audioengine Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madlove, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I was referring to the REL (mine is a T-3) which doesn't have speaker level out put, only inputs.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Op has a cheap sub with only RCA line level input.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I was going to post a simple circuit to use but after seeing how inexpensive that PAC box is, I'd just buy one myself. You can also use an in-line attenuator with a desktop volume control in between the sub and the tape out of the amp is you like. You'll have two volume controls to adjust but you may find that useful as it will allow adjustment for various sources and mixes. and you won't have to mess with speaker wiring, which if it goes badly can damage an amplifier. Basically, you'll crank-up the subs input level pot and then connect the line level volume control in-line with the tape out at a location near the amps volume pot. you'll then have the ability to adjust both the overall level and the subs relative output level to compensate for sources with varying bass output like YouTube videos and some Lps from different eras. Either method will work. The speaker level attenuator is adjustable once during set-up but allows remote control ramping from the amp to also control the sub level, where the in-line line level volume control does not allow remote volume control of the sub level but does offer fast and easy tweaking of the sub level according to the source material.
    -Bill

Madlove likes this.
  4. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field Thread Starter

$350 is big news in my corner, but seeing what the Rels & other serious subs go for, I understand the Audioengine is low on the list, and lacks the inputs needed for a step-up.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Hey, no offense. And actually that is a more substantial sub than its price would have most believe. You can do much worse. Also not all pricey subs have speaker level inputs. There are quite a few very high performance subs that have line level only inputs. Many consider a speaker level input to be rather pedestrian. I would agree if it was the only input offered on a sub, especially a passive job with a chipboard box, but when used for music, a speaker level input can help to blend the sub with the mains by at least feeding them from the same input source.
    -Bill

Madlove likes this.
  6. The REL T-Zero is $487 here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-77339-rel-t-zero-subwoofer.aspx

I own the REL T-5 ($699 list) and use it with my Brio-R. It is a very "musical" sub, with a warm, round sound when it needs to be, and precise attack where it needs it, without boominess or distortion or rattling, etc. Plus, it is really small. The performance is remarkable. It's easily the best sub I have ever owned, although I am not an expert in this area. I enjoy it just as much as my much larger, much more expensive ($1500) Triangle Sub Espace, which is also a great sub but has a large tall and narrow cabinet with two 10 inch drivers.

I imagine the T-Zero has a similar sound signature as the T-5. I've seen video of the T-Zero and it is TINY, yet its sound quality has been universally praised. REL must have some really good engineers.

Also, BTW, the company is pronounced "Rel," even though the name is spelled in all caps (it's actually the initials of the founder).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    BilboAlaska and Madlove like this.
  7. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Sorry Madlove, to pursue this side trail but for the future you can maybe use the recommendation. I realize you are not asking for recommendations on other subs.

But......like Billy, I have the REL T-5 I got at a big discount. Besides being all that Billy says, the feature that is unique from my other subs (Hsu, Velo, and NHT) is that you simply connect it to the speaker terminals on your amp. I had not ever seen that before in my limited sub experience.
    Not only is it by far my best sub, but the most simple and easiest to connect, esp to an amp with no 'pre-out'.
    On the other hand, for rocking the house party style, the Hsu is the monster to use. REL is so clean and subtle that I don't even notice it and cannot discern where it is separate from my main speakers. The Hsu on the other hand is like a bass player in a band really standing out.

Madlove likes this.
  8. Madlove

Hi Rolltide & All:
    I have my Rel T-Zero set up and its sounding very nice. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.
    I am hearing a low hum from the Rel, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to get rid of it?
    Probably a ground thing? I Googled and there were some posts on detaching the black wire from the back of the Left amp / speaker terminal and attaching it to the amp's ground screw? I have the turntable ground connected to the amp ground, can you double up?
    I'd love to hear any thoughts. Thanks.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Assuming it's not a defect, I'd say yeah, it's a ground issue. I don't think I'd try the same lug as the turntable as it could double up on the hum/ground vs. solve it - I could be wrong though, it's worth trying. I've seen folks suggest just loosening a chassis screw on the amp and using it to attach a ground wire, but I've never needed to do this myself. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

10. Also, it could be a ground loop. Common with subwoofers. Try using a cheater plug on the sub power cord.

Also, make sure that the sub interconnect is not tangled up with or touching and power cords. Sometimes that can induce hum.

KT88 and Rolltide like this.
  11. Madlove

Update: I found this online, and it worked beautifully:

"Ground the woofer to the preamp. How? Maintain the speaker level connection on the positive terminals. Remove the ground cable (black) and instead, using a single long RCA cable, ground the woofer to an unused input on the preamp connected to the woofer through the LFE input. The woofer will still run hi-level. Only the ground will come in low level and since it comes from a preamp input, no signal travels down it. I have done this in the past on systems with odd ground planes and it has worked. You should be able to run the woofer hi-level as that is the best method for Rels. Fortunately the hum is not bothersome, but you should be able to make it run silent. Hope this helps. Allan Haggar
    Sumiko North American Importer of Rel"

No hum! Thanks for the replies. I'm really enjoying the T-Zero. Subtle and beautiful.

12. Interesting. Never heard of doing that before, but if it's sanctioned by Sumiko, then I'm sure it's not dangerous to the sub.

Glad you are enjoying the T-Zero. What did you end up doing with the Audioengine?

Madlove likes this.
  13. Madlove

I left the Audioengine sub and the A5 speakers hooked up to the TV, which they originally shared with my turntable as well. Its interesting to hear how vastly different the REL is compared to the Asub. The Asub has what I think is a very good sound, a bit loud and bossy, where the T-Zero is a much more integrated sound, very subtle...seems to really form an overall complimentary sound with the speakers.

Yes, I have the impression that Sumiko's word is respected, and it was so nice to hear that hum just vanish.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's the impression I have of my REL as well. It doesn't sound like the subwoofers I used to use in my home theater setups. It works more like a crossover that makes two-way speakers into three-ways. I remember reading reviews of how REL's special cable works, and the implication seemed to be that their implementation redirects bass away from your mains so they don't waste power trying to produce bass they can't really do well, much like the subwoofer crossovers in A/V receivers work. I'm not sure if this is true or even possible, however.

15. ogbbv

ogbbv Well-Known Member

As many of you have said before it is a PITA to have to adjust volume at the sub. I tried it once at the party we had when my gf and I turned 30. We rented a place with concrete floors and all and I had never touched a sub before. It was so hard trying to get it right, we ended up with having the sub on the lowest volume possible.
    What I learned from that night was that the Brio R is a really robust amp and that trying to pair as sub with it was hard. It stayed at 3 o clock most of the night but suddenly we found out that someone had danced off one of the speaker cables to the one speaker (6 ohm Dalis). Noone had noticed but soon after we got the second speaker back up again we ended up with playing at the maximum level for the rest of the night and everything held up! Normally in my apartment just 9 on the dial is really loud, so when both the amp and the speakers held up for 4-5 ish hours till 7 in the morning at max I was really impressed. It was a really big place too, but the concrete ofcourse might have helped with volume. The amp was really really hot at the end though! Allmost untouchable.

16. Whoever wrote that was not correct. In fact, REL prides itself on not messing around with your main speakers at all:

http://rel.net/rel-story/technology/

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

As Billy indicated the REL high level (and low level) connections offer no bass management in regards to your main speakers. Your speakers are still operating in their full range as it applies to them. The REL sub bass system is designed to blend in below and/or reenforce your speakers normal sound.

18. Madlove

Yes, that's what I'm hearing / feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.