Rega DAC + Foobar w/ ASIO bit perfect playback = Static burst on switching sample rate

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robert C, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else have this problem? I've got foobar doing bit perfect playback, my Rega DAC lights up correctly. However, every time I swap to aa track with a different sample rate I get a burst of static noise through my speakers before the song starts.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Robert C

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Did you ever get a solution? This sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing (running a Touch to it)... but it only happens switching to a higher sample rate...

4. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

My DAC R does it. I just ignore it, since it only happens when changing sample rates.

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Well that is a bit of an annoying conclusion... but that well may be all there is to it. Appreciate the response.

6. Robert C

I think it's something to do with the DAC failing to lock in on the sample rate quickly enough. I no longer use a laptop in my playback chain, instead opting for a Raspberry Pi running Rune Audio. I no longer have the static issue :)

7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Could it be a latency issue from the computer to the DAC?

8. Robert C

I thought so and experimented with the Foobar buffer but nothing ever seemed to solve the issue for good until I switched to the Pi. I'm not saying laptops are bad at audio or any of that rubbish, but in my set-up there was obviously something not quite right and the Pi has circumvented it.

toddrhodes likes this.
  9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I don't know about the Rega but my guess is the DAC itself makes noise when switching gears and that is what you are hearing. My DAC includes a muting circuit via relay that physically clicks on/off whenever the sample rate changes so it doesn't produce a burst of static through the system from the process.

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Interesting...I'll have to look into what I can find out about the REGA DAC-r...

11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

It is a plague on digital playback that some DACs do emit noises when changing sample rate. The ones I'm using do not, except for an occasional quiet "click." But a DEQX unit I tested had internal relays that clicked and clanked when sample rate changed, and I've experienced others that were noisy. It's not so bad if you're playing entire discs of music, but terrible when mixing and matching in computer-based audio.

The Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker claims to remove such noises. If such a thing is practical for you, it might be a way around the noises. It's also said to improve the sound of many DACs.

Good luck!

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I'd swear it didn't used to happen with the REGA DAC-R... but it is also possible I've just now gotten the ear-worm in my head...

13. emollerstuen

emollerstuen Forum Resident

I get the same type of static burst when using a chromecast audio into a Rega DAC over optical. Mainly notice it between tracks when casting Tidal. This static/distortion burst even happens between tracks on the same album and varies in intensity from subtle to an ear splitting screech that sends me rushing for the volume knob. I haven't noticed this when playing iTunes or Tidal from the optical out of my MacBook into the DAC...

14. Robert C

Yep, that's the one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.