Rega Elicit MK2 - Should i but it? Or get an Elex R

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marshall_SLX, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000 Thread Starter

Nice condition used MK2 Elicit for sale but i have to get it posted interstate so cant listen to it. I am currently running a Mira 3 will this be a good enough upgrade over the Mira 3? Guy wants $900 AUD for it and i can sell my Mira 3 for around $500. This amp was 3K when new in Australia and i have an all rega setup so i am pretty keen. Only issue with it is it has the MC phono stage built in but the seller has told me there is a slight hum to the mc input. He said the stage sounds normal but there is an audible hum that is not overpowering but ever present and not suitable for proper use. This doesnt worry me as i use the Rega MM fono anyway with my Exact.

Used Elex R in australia is normally around 1k and that tops my budget... should i buy this or find a used Elex R, i want a Rega amp.

Cheers

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It would be a better amp than the Mira, if it worked properly. The seller having mentioned issues and the fact that it is used makes one pause, no? You might get lucky and discover that the issue was with his turntable or connection and the amp is fime. If it is, you'll have a nice MC stage added to the stable. What you really should consider, as well as warranty since these are essentially the same price, is that the two amps sound different. The Elicit more like a Mira with a big ol' set of brass balls, and the Elex is a whole 'nother amp. It's warmer and while more powerful, smoother sounding as well.
    -Bill

3. Marshall_SLX

Mira with balls sounds good to me, i am not sure i want a warmer smoother sound so maybe the elex is not for me. My speakers are Dali Zensor 7 which are not particularly warm and for me have a very in your face forward sound and are pretty detailed up top for their price range, they are not the last word in bass performance at this price but i wouldnt say they were lightweights here. I feel my Exact cart adds enough warmth to the system as i do prefer a more spacious analytical sound with just enough warmth to keep it real. What i would be looking for here is essentially the same sound i have right now with a little more depth and impact to the lower frequencies which i understand the MK2 Elicit will deliver over the Mira which ive read and can hear performs quite well with tight punchy bass down to a point but then kinda cuts out. With regard to warranty a new Elex r is 2k i was talking about used elex r which are normally around 1k or a tad more, so no warranty to consider. I am not prepared to spend that much on an amp when i do actually like the Mira i have already, but an extra $500 ish after i sell the Mira to move up to Elicit MK2 is definitely doable.

Regarding your last comment i thought the MK2 Elicit is 82 watts and the Elex r is 73 watts?

I think i will end up getting it, i really wasnt looking for an amp upgrade and have been happy with the Mira but when i saw this pop up at a nice price albeit because the MC stage is compromised i was pretty excited and who knows as you said it might be his TT or connections inducing the hum. He was using an RP1 and Bias 2 with this amp weird to have such a high end amp with an RP1.

What would the chances be of fixing the MC stage if i took it to a shop? Its not of huge concern as i will be using line inputs anyway with my Fono MM.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

He cannot use the Bias 2 with a MC stage and get decent sound. That may have been his problem in itself, if indeed he has the MC stage installed rather than the MM stage. You will get better bass with either amp than the Mira. The Zensor 7 is very capable of reproducing powerful and deep bass. Get em a few inches closer to the back wall if you have to.
    -Bill

5. Marshall_SLX

Should have mentioned he was using a Fono MM with his RP1. Not sure what he was using with the MC input but i will never know as he has decided to sell to a local buyer so ive missed out again. Ive had verbal agreements on 2 Elex R's and this Elicit only to have it sell locally the same day. I swear good used Rega gear doesnt come up in my city as i have never seen anything more than a Planar 3 90s model for sale here.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, they are great values new, so if you can find one in "as new" condition for less, it's a super deal. You will forgo any warranty though, so sometimes saving a few dollars can cost you more later. I would get a new Elex-R based on what you say you like and what your system is. When I described the sound signature of the amps, keep in mind that these are all subtle differences. They all sound similar of course. The larger amps have larger power supplies and can drive the speakers better. You'll get great sound with the Elex-R. If you do have a local dealer, go there and see it if you can. It is considerably heavier than the Mira, which is telling of the size of its transformer.
    -Bill

7. Marshall_SLX

That is good to know, i have read a fair amount about the Elex R and it seemed like a good fit for me so good to know it wont be overly warm. I think i may just shelve any upgrade plans for the moment, ive been very tempted by a couple of used offerings recently (P7, MKI P9 and this Elicit) but each time the head has prevailed over the heart and i decided against it except in this case i would have bought it as i felt as though it could have been a long term keeper. Long term i would like a Cursa/Exon or Elicit MK2 or R setup with the upcoming P6 and an Apheta with a used IOS or Aria, by then i fear my Dali Zensor 7's will not be able to keep up however.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I think you'll be surprised by the Dali's once you get a better front end and amp. The new Planar 6 and Elex-R should be a great step forward and amazing value, should you stick with the Exact or another suitable MM cartridge. The LOMC cart should be wonderful, but it isn't inexpensive, nor will be replacement. Just keep that in mind if you are on a tight budget. While I love the sound of my $1000 DV cartridge, I have to just grin and bear it when my wife spins her records on my table! Not a big deal if I tweak an Elys 2 by comparison and those are bullet-proof by comparison to many cartridges. The DV and many other fine cartridges have very thing cantilevers, just waiting for that one fatal mistake!
    ;)
    -Bill

9. Marshall_SLX

So you reckon the Dali's are good for a fair amount of an upgrade i really do like them so thats good news. Depending on my budget when the P6 comes out and what sort of deals can be done with bundling carts will determine whether i will upgrade cart or stick with Exact and Fono MK2. If there is a good bundled deal with a P6/MC Fono/Ania cart then i will probably get that other wise i will stick with MM Fono and Exact and look to upgrade when the exact has worn out and get an IOS/Aria and and Apheta or DV.

10. Marshall_SLX

Thought i would post a follow up. I didnt get the Elicit MK2 as mentioned above but yesterday a mint condition Cursa 3 came up 20 mins away for $850 and i just couldnt resist so ive bought it and now im on the lookout for a set of Exon 3's or i might be tempted by Exon 2000 or Maia 3 if the price was right. Anyone know what i should be paying for a set of Exon 3's? Maybe $500 each, that would be about $370 USD, does that sound right?

Last year 2 Cursa 3/Exon 3 sets sold used one for $1,750 and one for $2,500 so i think i got my Cursa 3 at a fair price and based on that around $500 each seems fait for Exon 3. Any advice on pricing is welcome.

Cheers.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If the Cursa has a phono card, that's a great deal. It's a wonderful preamp. The Exon3 monos are great too, but I'd probably pass on older Exon and definitely on a Maia. The Cursa deserves more. In the interim, I'd get a vacuum tube power amp and drive it with the Cursa. That'll change your life.
    :cheers:
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.