Rega Exact 2 vs. Ortofon 2M Black

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JolidaFan, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JolidaFan

JolidaFan New Member Thread Starter

I'm getting a new Rega RP6 TT and am contemplating upgrading from the stock Rega Exact 2 cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Black. I welcome all advice/opinions on which I should get.

kevin5brown likes this.
  2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

What kind of music do you listen to? What are your preferences as far as bass, mids, treble responses?

Theoretically, it's pretty much a lateral move...I feel the Exact 2 has a very sweet sounding midrange...i.e. "British"

some threads here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/so-i-bought-an-ortofon-2m-black-cartridge.303115/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-about-the-ortofon-2m-black.314466/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/question-for-those-with-rega-ortofon-2m-combinations.246046/

3. JolidaFan

Thanks for the threads krlpuretone. I'll give them a careful read.

As for the music I listen to, everything from John Coltrane to the Grateful Dead to Frank Zappa to Mozart to Dylan. And just about everything in between. I've got roughly 2000 LPs and have been using a old Rega 2 with a Goldring. Nice sound, but time for a change.

4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

+1
    The Exact-2 is outstanding. I have the RP6/Exact-2 combo and it is light-years ahead of the P3-24/Elys-2 it replaced.
    It's got Rega synergy in spades.
    If I was considering NOT going the Exact-2 route, I would go MC and grab a Benz Micro ACE SL.

Too quote Jeff Dorgay of ToneAudio on the Rp6/Exact-2:

"Steve Daniels of The Sound Organisation, likes to say that the Exact “sounds as much like an MC can while still being a MM.” The more time I spend with the Exact, the more I agree. The cartridge reproduces delicate, low-level signals with ease, yet manages wide dynamic swings. Via Classic Records’ Led Zeppelin reissues, the RP6/Exact combination renders a wide tonal landscape, with the necessary weight that do the albums justice.
    While the Exact is an excellent plug-and-play solution for the RP6, the RB303 tonearm is capable of even more, should you decide to go further upmarket with a cartridge. While some might argue that such a move is pointless since the RP6 shares the same tonearm as the lower-priced RP3, the RP6’s advanced design allows a higher signal-to-noise ratio, permitting the RB303 to take better advantage of a premium cartridge."

kevin5brown likes this.
  5. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

I upgraded from a 2M Red on the RP6 to a Black and have loved it. It seems like the best way to find out what you like is to get a chance to listen to it, so maybe a trip to the local shop is in order?

Vinylsoul 1965 and raferx like this.
  6. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Strongly suggest to listen to both before purchase.
    Its 6-700 dollars.
    Some folks like, others dislike same cart.
    It WILL sound different that the Goldring.

oregonalex and jordanb87 like this.
  7. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I have a RP-6 with the Exact 2 and I listened to the Classic Zeppelins and was quite pleased. What really impressed me was listening to the Cisco Steely Dan Aja. Even my wife exclaimed that she had never heard that lp sound so good. I had planned on going with the 2M Black from the get-go, but the more I listen to the Exact the more distant the memory gets on wanting the Black.

On_the_dunes and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

To a certain extent you can't go wrong with either. If it's at all possible to demo both, or even one, I'd recommend doing that.

Keep in mind that the Black's Shibata stylus is very sensitive to VTA. The Exact 2 is nice for plug-and-play audiophiles like me, who don't have the know-how to finely adjust all aspects of proper alignment. Rega's 3-point mounting is great and very simple.

9. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

And as an aside, I think Rega really needs a cartridge model in between the Elys2 and Exact2, something in the $400 (CDN) price range to compete with the Ortofon 2M Bronze. It's a $300 jump from the Elys2 to the Exact2, which seems odd considering the $100 jump between the Bias2 and the Elys2.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  10. Aereoplain

Agree that the plug and play aspect is appealing,( I bought into that unfortunately,) however, sound is the most important aspect.

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

My take- Ortofon is more Joe Friday (just the facts mam'), it will be what you feed it. The Rega, well is British, great all-rounder, not as exciting in some respects, more predictable.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

There's nothing unfortunate about it. The ability to be able to play and enjoy music in about 30 mins after unboxing a Rega – regardless of model, from the Rp1 to the RP8 – when a Rega cartridge is factory installed, well, that's a rare thing in the true hifi/audiophile world.

andybeau and macster like this.
  13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The Ortofon's are definitely as you describe them. Having heard the Red, Blue and Bronze 2M's, that is an appropriate description IMHO. I haven't heard the 2m Black, but I'd expect more of the same – only more of it.
    The Exact-2 with a Rega TT – especially an RP3 or higher – is really something to experience. It's incredibly immersive, and honestly, only gets better after the first 35-40 hours.
    I'm listening to a Speakers Corner remaster of Wizz Jones – Right Now, and let me tell you, it's effing amazing.
    If you're not considering Rega for a cart, I think you owe it to yourself to give a Benz Micro ACE SL MC cart a listen and go from there. Is your phono stage a determining factor for MM vs. MC?

14. JolidaFan

I have a Jolida JD Mk II phono preamp that has performed quite well for me up to this point. I'm not an expert, but I think it'll be able to handle either an MM or MC equally well. But as always, your comments/opinions are most welcome.

raferx likes this.
  15. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

That is a very highly regarded PS, the RP6 will sing through that :)

Now... which cartridge?!?

MC? http://www.elusivedisc.com/BENZ-MICRO-ACE-SL-S-CLASS-LOW-MC-CARTRIDGE-04mV/productinfo/BENZACEL/

MM? http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-Exact-2-Cartridge?sc=7&category=23669

16. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

+1! I just upgraded from an Elys 2 to a 2M Bronze (which is absolutely amazing) I would have considered a $400-$500 Rega cartridge.

17. JolidaFan

After much deliberation I've decided to pair my news Rega RP6 turntable with the Rega Exact 2 cartridge. I'll be getting both delivered in about 10 days and will post my comments here about how the set up sounds. Thanks to all who weighed in. Your insights were valuable.

kevin5brown, vinylbuff and raferx like this.
  18. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Congratulations :winkgrin:
    You'll have synergy in spades and be floored by what the RP/Exact-2 combo is capable of extracting off vinyl. Especially with your phono stage! I just upgraded my RP6 to an RP8 dual pulley configuration and have been staggered by the difference. Read my thoughts here.
    Looking forward to hearing your insights once you take delivery JolidaFan!

19. Aereoplain

Congrats on the new table!! They are very nice. Yes, please let us know how the Exact compares to the Goldring.

20. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I also think you'll like it. The more I play it, the better it sounds. (Now to find a deal on some Magnepan 3.7's:love:)

raferx likes this.
  21. JolidaFan

Vinylbuff, while I respect everyone's taste in speakers, I prefer to go with speakers that are as efficient as possible. I have a pair of custom built SerTech Stellar X's that fill the room with incredible sound while pulling no more than a single watt of power. I've heard the $25K+ speakers that require separate power supplies to drive them and find them lacking in the full, open sound I get from my Stellar X's. That's why I can get away with a tube power amp that supplies no more than 50 WPC. Crystal clear, warm open sound, highly-efficient speakers that should let my Rega RP6 and Exact 2 cartridge sing. But if you find a good deal on a pair of Magnapan 3.7's, please let me know!

22. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Dude. Those are some serious speakers.

23. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I think I phrased that wrong. I made it sound like I was recommending the Maggies to you. It's me that is lusting after them. Saw a brand new pair (actually 3 weeks old) for $4400 but the aluminum rails and gray socks don't do anything for me.

24. JolidaFan

Vinylbuff, it was I who misunderstood. I've never heard of "Maggies" before, but from what I read about them after your post they look/sound impressive; although I've never actually seen or heard them in person! I've tried for a simply, but good sounding system. For the room where my equipment sits, my custom built SerTech's sound wonderful. I look forward to hearing the new Rega RP6 and Exact 2 cartridge with them.

25. JolidaFan

All, I've been listening to my new Rega RP6 with the Rega Exact 2 cartridge (through a Jolida JD9 phono preamp) for 5 days now and it sounds amazing! I've heard people talk about "space" and "openness" but I really had no idea what they meant. Now I do. The sound is so good that I am actually hearing imperfections in the recordings! I liked my old Rega RP2 with a Goldring cartridge, but it can't hold a candle to this new set up. Lovin' it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.