Rega Fono Phono Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Considering a Rega Fono MM (not the mini) preamp to use with an Ortofon Super OM30. Its either going to be this, a Cambridge 651P or a Pro-Ject Phono Box MK2 or the old S model. Amp is a Yamaha A-S700, speakers Wharfedale Xarus 5000 and Technics 1210 Mk2 TT. The Rega is the most expensive, does this mean the best?

2. felix.scerri

felix.scerri Forum Resident

G'day mate, your list are all pretty good phono stages but I'd probably pick the Rega Fono MM on account of its good bass response which would work well with the slightly light bass end of the Super OM series.

Having said that though the whole Ortofon Super OM series are excellent, and I think better than most of the 2M series except for the Bronze and the Black models. Regards, Felix.

3. Neilson77

After further research, the Musical Fidelity X-LPS is also a contender! My amp and speakers lean toward a warm sound. I've been reading the Regas can be warm. Between MF and Projects now i think...

4. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

I use the Fono and like it very much. It´s a low capacitance one (100pf) and as the OM 30 goes from 200 to 400 you can use a higher capacitance TT cable. I don´t think it´s warm or anything, seems neutral to me. I had the MF before that and did not like the sound. It´s always a matter of taste anyway.

5. Neilson77

Ok, my TT cable is Van Damme Protex Neutrik, upgraded from the standard SL1200 RCA. You say the Rega is low capacitance at 100pf, how would this effect the sound character with the OM30 being 200-400pf?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-..._HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item3cd45408e5

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It would put you in the 200-250pf range, making the lower end of the scale. That'll give you the most natural sounding high frequency response. Many other phono stages come with 250pf internally and when you add another 100-150pf (that's low and represents a really good phono cable), then you'll be at the top of the range at best and possibly over a bit, resulting in a brighter top end. That can be fatiguing for poorly recorded or hotly mastered material.
    -Bill

7. Neilson77

Ok everyone. Its between the Rega Fono MM or a Musical Fidelity X-LPS. Which is the best?

8. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

I'd go Rega.

9. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have the Rega Fono MM paired up with a Decware Taboo MK II and I think the sound is fairly nuetral ... I believe the Fono MM is the same stage used in the Brio-R which I also have and like spinning records on the Brio-R too (but not as much fun with the Decware combo).

If there was something else I would like to try in combination with the Taboo it's the LCR from Lounge Audio or the iFi Audio iPhono which has tons of options.

raferx likes this.
  10. Neilson77

Missed out! A seller had 2 listed earlier with the old style casing, reduced to £120 from £180. Im going to go with the Musical Fidelity V-LPS II. I've read the Cambridge 651P can sound bland, lacking detail, just being "OK". I reckon the V-LPS II will better the Pro-Ject Phono Box MK2 and the old S model.

11. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Tonepub was quite impressed with the Lounge Audio LCR, to quote:
    "The Lounge is the best $200 phono stage I've heard by a long shot. Full review to follow. And if you read TONEAudio on a regular [basis], you know I don't use that word much..."

beowulf likes this.
  12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Another happy Fono MM user here. When I got it I assumed it was going to be a stop gap solution, but I've been so pleased with the sound I'm getting that upgrading my phono stage has not seemed like a pressing matter for 5 years now.

CLaytonpd and Jwhitephoto like this.
  13. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

Hi Bill, I've been reading up a lot on this forum concerning the Rega Fono MM MK2, and you seem to be a helpful source with a good understanding of the product. My current set up is Rega P2 / 2m Blue / NAD PP4 / Creek Evo 50a / Epos Epic 5. I recently upgraded from the 2m Red to 2m Blue and, well, everything is just too bright and detailed. I was wondering if replacing the NAD PP4 with a Rega Fono MM MK2 would bring some warmth to my rig.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It is a higher performance phono stage but it isn't going to magically transform your cartridge into a different cartridge. The Blue does sound a bit more that way than many. The Fono may shave a bit off the top and smooth things out across the spectrum while reducing overall noise however. In order to correct the HF issue, it is best to replace the cartridge. Give me a call (look me up or PM me for the number) and I will be happy to offer some suggestions after discussing it all with you.
    -Bill

15. LibertyKrell

When I said "I recently upgraded from the 2m Red to 2m Blue..." I probably should have noted it was as recent as Tuesday, so I'm not ready replace the cartridge. But, when I do I'll be sure to call Uptown Audio. Maybe I should allow the cart some more burn in time. I saw in another thread you spoke of the NAD PP as "dull and lifeless". Assuming I wasn't upgrading the tt, amp or speakers anytime soon, would I see any tonal shift or "life" by replacing the NAD with the Rega?

16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

The Ortofon 2M series normally need around 50h before they start to loosen up. So don't judge it already. Give it a week or two. I have the Bronze and have had the Rega Fono and had no problems at all. Sounded great.

17. LibertyKrell

Thanks Dianos! My set up wasn't particularly warm to begin with when I was using the 2m Red. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Creek Evo 50a and the Epos Epic 5 speakers, but I've commited to them, so I was looking for a relatively inexpensive way to tweak my set up. I prefer clarity to coloration, so I like my set up. Was just looking to see if the Rega pre-amp would make it sound more "musical" and less "clinical".

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rega is a more accurate preamp and the Blue is also more accurate than the Red. You are getting more HF info off of the Lp, which is good. The issue might be that the capacitive loading of the PP4 is a little high and making the Blue even brighter than it is normally, and it is the brightest sounding cartridge in that series. The Fono is smoother and is better in every area, so you'll likely enjoy it quite a bit more but it isn't going to hide the HF info from the blue. It does have a significant;y lower capacitive loading, which may help. It's hard to say how you'll fare there really as what you hear as warm, I might hear as muddy. I know that I like the Fono rather well with every cartridge that I have tried with it. You'll need to accept that the Blue is a bit brighter sounding than the Red and the bronze though; it just is. dianos is correct in that all cartridges do take quite a number of hours to loosen-up and sound more relaxed. 50 hours is about right and that's like 100+ Lp sides, so just play on and enjoy what you have. Since the Bronze is about the same price as the Fono, I'd actually buy that first as it'll make more difference. It's a really nice cartridge. Once you get that on there, then the Fono will be an excellent upgrade and a pairing that you'll likely be very happy with for a long time.
    -Bill

Jwhitephoto likes this.
  19. LibertyKrell

Bill, thank you for all help. I think I'll take your advice and make the natural progression from the Blue to Bronze when the time comes to replace the cart.

20. samn

samn New Member

Hi Bill, in terms of specifications, what are the differences between Fono Mini and Fono MM. I have Fono Mini. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to Fono MM? Thanks.

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The specs might be found at the Rega site. The difference in sound is substantial, the better the cartridge, the better the sound from the new Fono. It is easily capable of reproducing the signal of the best MM and high output MC cartridges. The Fono mini will sound somewhat noisy, compressed, and bandwidth limited by comparison.
    -Bill

samn likes this.
  22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Dragging up an old thread, but I'm interested in phono pre-amps and am considering the Fono MM. I have a question about sensitivity: how well matched does the rating of my cart (an Ortofon 2M Blue with 5.5mV output at 1kHz) have to be to the input sensitivity of the amp? The Rega has a sensitivity of 3mV. Are these the same thing and what's the impact on sound if they're not well matched?

23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The sensitivity of the phono preamp is good guide for the minimum output from the cartridge. With less output than that you get less than full power. It's fine to be higher. Rega's own MM cartridge output is even higher than the Ortofon.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  24. Paul H

Sorry @Bob_in_OKC I'm not sure I follow this. Are you saying it's fine for the amp to have a higher rating or the cart?

25. Paul H

Sorry @Bob_in_OKC I'm not sure I follow this. Are you saying it's fine for the amp to have a higher rating or the cart?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.