Rega integrated (Elicit, Elex) observations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maskdbagel, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Ahh ok I misunderstood then. Haven't heard the '17

On your pointless preface, would it not be in your best interest to dismiss any and all negativity? That you agree with my prior comments but yet found fit to attack regardless.... brings your credibility into question and exposes your working bias.

I AGREE with the many (see other forums) that are tired of the salesmen driving the conversations here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
    Robert C likes this.
  2. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

3. jasonx1925

jasonx1925 Member

Anybody here having inaccurate remote signal for Elicit R?

The Led light is supposed to lit after every 4 press on the remote but what happens is sometimes after pressing just two clicks the Led lit, sometimes 3 and sometimes 4. Same thing happen if you lower the volume. Every press is not accurate.

Anybody? Thanks

4. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I auditioned the Elex-R late last year, while the SQ was quite impressive, the quality of the remote control was so dissapointing.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  5. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Mine's been pretty good over the past 3 years. Maybe Rega can help troubleshoot

6. jasonx1925

jasonx1925 Member

May i know how may presses on your remote before the next LED lights up?

7. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

ill get back to you on it

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

On my elicit-r, the next volume LED in the sequence is lit with the first press of the volume up button on the remote, and then it is two presses to turn on each successive LED.

9. jasonx1925

jasonx1925 Member

Thank you, same as mine. I guess this is normal as i went back to the distributor to check out a remote and it acted same. Two presses and the next led will lit. It's weird because using the Rega Mini Remote, it takes 4 presses before the next led lights up. Anyway, it's not a biggie, just checking if my remote is broken but it's not

10. Echoes Myron

The manual volume dial is more sensitive. Didn't count but I think it is four clicks on the dial vs two on the remote.

11. jasonx1925

jasonx1925 Member

Yes you are correct, on the knob it takes 4 clicks before led lights while remote has 2 presses. Using my ELEX-R remote(mini remote) on Elicit R takes 4 presses though, so i'm now using the Mini remote for Elicit.

By the way, Marantz remote works on our Rega gears, but only Volume and Mute button works on Marantz remote

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Anyone ever compared the Elicit-r with the Cursa3/Exon3’s?

13. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

I own an Elicit-R and a few Cursa3's/Maia3's (one system consisting of one Cursa3 and two Maia3 in bi-amp configuration). Never was lucky enough to own Exon3's. I am told they are completely different beasts. In a league of their own.

To my ears, against the Cursa’s/Maia’s, the Elicit-R is the better amp. Better timing, more air, lower and more articulated bass. The Cursa/Maia's are smoother, though. The Elicit-R reveals more of the music.

I could live happily with one or the other.

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I swap out between RX-1’s and LS-50’s with my Exon3 setup....

15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Exon's trounce the Maia. They are warmer and more dynamic. While the Elicit-R is a great amp, if you have the space, I'd stick with the separates. They are a really tough act to follow.
    -Bill

16. Diego Arguea

Diego Arguea New Member

first time poster, long time reader -- appreciate all the information and perspectives. i have moved along the Rega line at a slow but steady pace (starting with the original R1 and now up to the RX-5). unfortunately the RX-5 have "exposed" the deficiencies in my upstream electronics so i have been demoing amplifiers to find the ideal synergy. i have had the ability to take home an Elex-R and found it to be a satisfying pairing with the -5s. I have not had the ability to hear the Elicit-R with my RX-5s, and some have said that this amp provides a more relaxed but controlled sound, which sounds like something I would enjoy. Has anyone heard the Elicit-R with the RX-5 specifically? thoughts/feelings? thanks in advance!

17. tyler8

tyler8 Forum Resident

Nice artwork

18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I demoed an Elex R in a hi fi store yesterday and it sounded good. Now I want to compare onw with the Elicit R...

19. Echoes Myron

Just an update since my system has gone through many upgrades since I posted in this thread last year.

My attic system is now Rega RP10/Alpheta 2 > Aria > Elicit R > LS50. The LS50 will soon be replaced with KEF Reference 1 which are on order.

When I first got the Elicit I found it a little "bright and forward" but I believe that was a function of the speakers (at the time Dali Zensor 7). I got rid of the Dali's because I couldn't take the treble boost any longer. In the current system the Elicit sounds excellent. The system overall is extremely detailed, with a touch of warmth. I would not call this system "bright" in any way, just very detailed and balanced. I love it.

I actually did not intend to upgrade my LS50's until I got the RP10. I quickly realized I could still get more detail from the speakers (which is saying a lot as the LS50 really excels in this area). With the Alpheta/Aria/Elicit-R, the LS50 have a ton of slam for their size, but I also want to round out the bass. I am really looking forward to seeing what the Elicit-R and the improved source can do with the Reference 1.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    whaiyun and Ivand like this.
  20. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

I purchase a Elex - R a month ago and I am very pleased with almost every aspect of this Amp.

First the only negative I can come up with is the remote. Seems that the quality and feel could be easily improved.

Just the opposite for the Amp! The Amp is everything I had hoped for. I wanted a straight forward no nonsense SS 2 channel Integrated Amp. Build quality being just as important as sound quality. For me the the Amp finds a solid sound platform with ample sound stage. It is detailed without being to bright. Has good tight base with swift punch. Instruments have good spacing and realistic reproduction. The 70 or so watt power rating seems conservative based on how it drives my speakers.

I would recommend this a Amp to anyone looking for a Integrated SS with a 70 Watt target.

Ttl, kiddo4, Mintsauce and 3 others like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Similar experience to my Elicit-R. Excellent detail. Tight bass. Great imaging.

I also love the look of my all-Rega front end (TT power supply, Phono, and Amp) on my rack. And for the record the Elicit is driving my new Reference 1 speakers admirably.

22. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Based on some reviews online, it seems to me that the Elicit R and Elex R are both highly praised, however they do have different sound signatures (being the Elicit detailed but laid back while the Elex R forward/punchy and detailed presentation).

Is that the general consensus?

23. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

This is tough for me to answer, I have never listened to the Elicit or Elicit -R. I can only comment on how I find the Elex - R (newest version of the Elex). I have only listened with CDs being my media and a Oppo 83SE being the source. With a well mastered CD playing the sound is very, very good. I would not want to add or subtract anything to alter the sound. If the a Amp had bass and treble controls I would not touch them. With that said the detail with my setup is such that if a CD with pre-emphasis or boosted top, is played I know and it is to bright.

I listened to a nicely remastered Jeff Beck Blow by Blow, "Cause we've ended as lovers" gave me goose bumps. In a good way! I would call it detailed, musical, lively, and just right for me.

I think others that have used multiple sources and have listened to both Amps would no better.

Ivand likes this.
  24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I find the Elicit to be a bit tighter and more controlled, while the Elex is warmer overall. Basically just more headroom, less compression with the Elicit. If you have plenty of power for your speakers with the Elex, I think that would be a little more forgiving of recordings and would be a keeper.
    -Bill

300man and Ivand like this.
  25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

How the Elicit R compares to the Yamaha AS1100/2100?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.