Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Right. That's because of the new plinth material, which is a large part of what makes the table sound so nice.
    -Bill

TheeGory likes this.
  2. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

There’s a way to do it, instructions not included. Same as on the power supply that comes with the rp10.

3. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

4. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I think the thinness and congestion he refers to is a direct result of the Exact cartridge not the table. I have the Planar 6 with the Ania and it is anything but thin sounding or congested.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Exact isn't thin sounding either. If anything, it's the Lp or the preamp interface that would cause that. Too many other variables.
    -Bill

6. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Bill, assuming you've heard the P6 with both the Exact and the Ania, do you think the Ania offers a noticeable improvement?

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

It could also be the result of changing out the felt mat that could have resulted in the supposed thinness and congestion, ya think?

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, it is. Faster, cleaner, and more refined. Typical of what a really nice LOMC cartridge delivers. I like the Exact, but have prefered to use LOMC carts in general over MM designs for decades now. You know what they say, "Once you go LOMC..."
    -Bill

B-Mike likes this.
  9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I hadn't even read the review, I just know what these cartridges sound like from experience. The review was done in Malaysia and the reviewer only had one pair of speakers and only had 10 hours on the cartridge. The lack of being run in is what causes congestion, and yes, the Ringmat (I have some here also) does tighten up the bass but the trade-off is a harder top end and a thinner overall tone. It sounds good, but I prefer the felt mat myself. Funny, the heading of the review lists as highlights "excellent bass. Well-balanced sound quality." So there is some contradiction there. He also continues to repeat the myth that there is no VTA adjustment, when Rega clearly offers shims for that purpose and it is simple to do. Whatever...
    -Bill

Morbius likes this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Adding a shim for VTA is simple?

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes; very. Anyone with the technical prowess to wield a screwdriver can do it. If you don't know a Philips from an Allen, then maybe not, but most people can build frickin' Ikea furniture without complaining, yet it never fails to ruffle shorts when only three screws are required on a Rega... again, Whatever...
    -Bill

12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Sound & Vision - The Bristol Show 2018

Is it too soon for the Planar 8?

13. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Had to chime in — just received a Planar 6, Ania cart and Fono MC today, and...woah.

Enjoyed my Music Hall MMF 7.3/2M Bronze the past few years, but this is something else entirely. First moving coil cartridge I’ve owned and after just a few spins, I’m a convert.

Going to be a fun weekend!

14. Oh that MC from an MM on a Rega is a world of difference. Simply the biggest single improvement I've heard in terms one of change.

15. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Just curious, what prompted you to swap tables instead of just cartridges? The 7.3 seems like a pretty solid table with DC motor and hence electronic speed control, along with a much more isolated motor compared to the Rega. Different design philosophy to be sure, the MH is much more massive, but would appear to be somewhat similar in other regards at first glance.

displayname likes this.
  16. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This combo really is impressive. The synergy seems undeniable. Rega's design philosophy is very different compared to the majority of the market, but the P6/Ania/Fono MC combo was clearly designed as a system rather than single pieces, and it shows.

bluesaddict, athensdrums and Mazzy like this.
  17. athensdrums

Actually, I’m keeping the Music Hall; it’s going in another part of the house.

I’d never owned a Rega table before, but had been reading about the Planar 6 and the Fono MC. And about the Rega “synergy,” mostly on this forum.

I had been considering moving to a MC and took a leap of faith on the Rega (the nearest dealer is three hours away; not convenient for an in-store demo). So far, I’m thrilled.

displayname likes this.
  18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I live in a country with very limited options in turntables. Regas are around, no official dealer but a lot of people buy Regas elsewhere and sell them here. This Planar 6 looks so nice. I'm not afraid of pitch instability or inaccurate speed with the Neo PSU. I'm not afraid to use shims for VTA too. I'd love to try it, it would be real fun, very different from what I have. I only worry about azimuth adjustment. In my experience, correcting azimuth if needed makes a lot of difference and I don't like the idea of shims in the headshell for some reason. I would prefer the top of cartridge to be completely in touch with the headshell. I suppose this table with a Rega cartridge wouldn't have any azimuth issue but who knows?

19. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

How do you adjust azimuth on your Pioneer? By ear or by some measurement technique? Most people don't want to be bothered to do either. I'd be leery of a tonearm without azimuth adjustment too, but a structurally solid tonearm with fixed cartridge mount and no added mechanical and electrical connections is very advantageous too. Lots of designs to choose from out there, not hard to get something perfect for your own ideals.

displayname, PhxJohn and punkmusick like this.
  20. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Enjoy it, it will get even better as the Ania gets its groove on. Forget everything you thought you knew about Rega's not named RP8 and RP10. The P6 is a game changer at its price, excellent speed control, and no overhang on notes. That last part can take some getting used too, and something that usually begins at a much higher price. Best part, no mods needed. None, zip, forget about it.

21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The Rega MC cartridges are very nice and the Ania package is really special. Just one question, I thought you were getting the Technics 1200G and flying it back to Brazil? Did you change your mind?

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  22. athensdrums

Yeah, I was shocked at how good it sounded right out of the box. Will be interesting to hear the Ania break in over time.

I haven’t checked the NEO PSU speed yet, but nothing sounds noticeably fast or slow. I’ll get around to that this weekend, but so far, so good. I did try a couple records that have been difficult to track on other tables; no issues with the Ania.

Also, the table is very quiet. No hum, nothing but music. Unless I do something really dumb while operating this turntable (like dropping something on it, etc.), I’ll likely enjoy this Rega for years to come.

andybeau and displayname like this.
  23. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I also found surface noise reduced from my P3/Dyna setup. What remains is also less annoying, almost like it is in a different plane than the music. Not sure why, but it is real.

athensdrums likes this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

We are in the middle of a currency crisis here and the Technics is now almost 15% more expensive than it was in April when I first talked to the dealer. I'm waiting to see what happens.

displayname likes this.
  25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Ouch! The P6/Ania combo retails for 2195 in the US. I think you would be quite happy with this setup. You already have a good phono stage. If you are still coming to the US, we have a lot of Rega dealers, and the P6 is not going to be a special order item.

displayname and punkmusick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.