Rega Naiad – cost-no-object turntable – first impressions at The Ear

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dmann201, bhazen and beowulf like this.
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Interesting article. I'd like to hear the Naiad.
    Although it certainly doesn't look like a cost-no-object table, which may be a good thing.
    No bells and whistles - or bling - as they now call it.

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It's a Rega? And no MDF???

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

5. missan

missan Forum Resident

Cost no object, nah, far from it.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

A very unimpressive design, which is very.. well...impressive.

crispi likes this.
  7. james

james Summon The Queen

I wonder if the two strips near the head shell/arm tube junction are for mass or rigidity

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I think that's describing the design process envelope... I read into it, that much is spent in time being of no object... it's about all we got in Southend.
    [​IMG]

phish likes this.
  9. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I agree with Colin here.

I see what you mean missan, but if they are going for a stripped back, absolute minimal-mass design, they are leaving things off rather than just adding expensive things. This might be the cost-no-object version within their chosen approach.

It won't ever look like one of those massive Clearaudio oil-rigs (which - love or hate - is impressive at first glance), because it looks to me like Rega have taken the diametrically opposed approach.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    ogbbv likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Still with the VTF spring.

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

They mention the motor is completely Mu metal shielded.They should make the shield available to purchase for those who want to add it to their own Rega tables.

12. John76

John76 Forum Resident

That counterweight looks way back there considering a Rega cartridge is being used. Not ideal.

13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Even if I can't afford it I do like the idea of a cost-no-object TT that doesn't look like some sort of nuclear device.

14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

You want to talk unimpressive (for the price) VPI is the first brand that comes to mind....

Art K likes this.
  15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I didn't mean that as a slag- quite the contrary, I like the simplicity of design versus the massive rigs that many expensive TT manufacturers put out.

utahusker likes this.
  16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes they say in the article that they'd gone too small & it was wrong.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Link does not work for me........

18. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't catch that.

19. raferx

20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Love to hear it!

But I've always thought that the main mission of Rega was affordable high-quality music playback ... I wonder how many of the Osiris and Isis have they sold?

21. raferx

I read that the Naiad platter bearing assembly costs more than an RP 10 to manufacture.

Long Live Analog and bhazen like this.
  22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

What are the advantages of a ceramic platter over say one of Delrin like Clearaudio and a lot of other turntable manufacturers use? The Delrin's impedance is more like vinyl so-it should sound better for that alone-no? Must have to do with weight saving going with ceramic.

23. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

I've found that my ears prefer other approaches to TT design than Rega's, but I really have to respect their single-minded devotion to their less-is-more design paradigm. And the Naiad looks like a nearly-ultimate expression of their ethos. Can't wait to hear one.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They added quite a bit of mass to the front of the headshell in what looks like an experiment with increasing rigidity. That created a need ideally for a heavier counterweight, which they haven't addressed as it can still be adjusted to work. I doubt that they will use those added bars in the production units as I can't imagine it adding much in the way of rigidity, any of which is likely offset by the increase in mass.
    -Bill

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The ceramic that Rega uses is extremely dense. It is heavier than their glass platters, which are already more dense than Delrin. The new, laminated glass platters as used on the RP6 and RP8 are heavier than any aftermarket poly types that I am aware of. The ceramic is heavier still. It isn't just about mass however. Rega also designs their tables to rid themselves of energy very efficiently and the harder a material is, the better it is as transmitting that energy. In short, for both reasons, they sound better.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.