Rega Neo TTPSU

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Billy Bird, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve seen the improved Rega power source mentioned in a number of posts on here and was persuaded to give one a go recently as an upgrade on my RP6. I know the speed stability is an important factor, but it has elevated the sound and I can’t quite figure out how it does that. I sort of get the idea of it tightening up rhythm but the whole soundstage seems to reach further out of the speakers and manoeuvre more nimbly than ever before. I am doing a bit of confirmation bias or can a simple change like this really make that much difference?

crispi and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well, you obviously aren’t the only one reporting improvements. Must be a mass hallucination :laugh:

Dan Steele likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

The NEO digital controller does look to have a more robust output stage for the motor drive than the old control unit, there are some circuit descriptions and schematics at the site below ...

Rega

In a way, it's similar to what happens with amps and speakers, it takes a decent amp to get the most from your speakers, and the output stage of the controller is a small power amp. I have an old late 80s Thorens TD 320 with a built-in analog two-phase motor controller board, and a few years ago I moved the controller from under the plinth to a separate chassis box with highly upgraded power supply. I made a really nice umbilical cable for it with good quality teflon insulated wire, but initally had problems with motor startup. After some troubleshooting, I realized the drive circuit wasn't designed to drive the longer cable with the extra capacitance, so had to make some changes to beef it up a bit, but it does sound good. The power supply and drive circuits for the motor really do make a difference.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

My thought when I added the TT-PSU to my P3 was that Rega was significantly underselling the improvement it made. Usually marketing does just the opposite, eh?

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I added a TT-PSU to my Rega. It definitely reduces motor vibration and noise to less than what I can hear or feel. Maybe someday I will get the newest version of Rega's power supply. It was a brilliant move on Rega's part to add pitch control to the new version. Rega suffered so much criticism concerning their turntables running fast. Running fast is hardly unique to Rega. My Garrard Lab 80 runs about 1% fast. LOL. Back on point, every bit of noise reduction or improvement to speed stability, at any definable term: bearing noise, rumble, wow, flutter, shimmer, always allows more of the music to come through.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

Having read around on forums about the outboard power supply for Rega TT's I finally took the plunge and installed the Rega Neo on my Rega RP3 Special Edition (basically the RP3 plinth, with arm and platter from the Planar 3).

And, wow, what a thing! I completely agree Rega are underselling the effect of this upgrade. Less noise, more black background, more tight bass, smoother mid-range and a more complete soundstage is what I hear. And the electronic speed shift is so nice. Worth every penny and a highly recommended upgrade!

Westerwick, jgrillo, plastico and 4 others like this.
  7. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Marketing and PR seems to be Rega's weakness and sales could be much higher. I get the impression from interviews that Roy Gandy does not wish to expand the company's production too much but I could be wrong.

Randoms likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, it can. One of the less mentioned effects of speed stability and accuracy is the improved soundstage and the images of the musicians that appear rock solid without smearing. So, it is not an improvement just of speed but the whole sound gets elevated to a higher level.

9. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

This was exactly my experience. Couldn't stop playing records yesterday when I set it up.

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

If you can drive an AC asynchronous turntable motor so that there's less clogging torque and vibration, you can sometimes dramatically drop the noise floor of a turntable by dramatically reducing motor vibration breakthrough, which improves details, dynamics and a sense of being able to hear into the whole recorded space on recordings that have a recorded space -- the famed "blacker blacks", you can cleanup frequency response by removing resonances at vibration frequencies and you can even improve tracking, especially if, as in the case of the Regas, the arm and the motor are mounted to the same surface and if the surface material is fairly ringy. There are various ways of doing this with motor controllers that have been used out in the market -- from driving the different motor phases with separate lines and adjusting the phase angle between them for lowest vibration on a motor-by-motor basis, to lowering voltage after start up. I'm not sure what Rega has implemented in this or its other motor controllers But it certainly is possible to improve the performance of turntables though changes to the he motor drive circuitry.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Gso-Rob, Dan Steele and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Question: Have any of you with NEO power supplies encountered issues with an audible hum, particularly as the tonearm tracks closer to the spindle? I had this issue with my TT-PSU until I grounded it, and subsequently replaced the walwart power supply. It’s perfectly silent now.

Westerwick and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I just ordered one. :)

13. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I'm taking the plunge too as soon as the funds become available, but first I need to upgrade my P25 to the 24V motor. Anyone have experience with that change?

14. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

Neo vs MKII, is there a lot of difference? I am seeing the mkii at a significant discount now

15. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

That's what people say.

Dan Steele likes this.
  16. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Bumping this thread as this device was just brought to my attention by an awesome forum member after not knowing it even existed. This could be a complete game changer for speed accuracy, soundstage, and of course automatic speed change.

Westerwick and Randoms like this.
  17. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

A friend swapped the TT PSU to Neo on his RP6 and is delighted. Runs at 33.33 and sonic improvement.

http://www.rega.co.uk/neo-turntable-psu.html Rega have a link to an ear review.

Westerwick and ThirtyThree1/3 like this.
  18. ThirtyThree1/3

Thank you! I will look into this model instead.

Randoms likes this.
  19. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I got one and it keeps rock steady speed. And it elevated the sound quality!
    Cheers, Doug

20. Randoms

You have adjustment so can achieve ThirtyThree1/3 (and 45.0rpm).

ThirtyThree1/3 likes this.
  21. ThirtyThree1/3

I always like to read real reviews from users, instead of those on the net or through an official review since one never knows of motive or just trying to sell. What's that new fangled term, "influencer"
    :laughup: So true! :pineapple:

Westerwick and Randoms like this.
  22. Randoms

Couldn't agree more, I heard my friend's Neo in comparison with TT PSU when he first got it and was very impressed.

A year down the line he, a real life customer, is still delighted. I'm happy to endorse it because I heard it.

Back in the eighties I ran a Rega Planar 2 / RB250 with a Moth Flutter Buster and again was impressed with the sonic improvement.

Westerwick, jgrillo and Dan Steele like this.
  23. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

want to upgrade the wallwart though

24. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I have the original TT-PSU. Looking at the specs they look basically the same. I'm trying to figure out how they would make my records sound different. In my original TT-PSU I opened it up, i see there are trim pots which i guess is for adjusting the speed if you want?

25. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

The trimpots are for the drive voltage, not the frequency which is via fixed oscillators, like a volume control between the preamp and amp circuits, see schematic link in post 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.