Rega P3 24 Interconnects

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pmccaffrey, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

We are going to be moving in a few moths, so i will be going through the joy of getting a new room set up.

I am thinking that the equipment rack is going to go in the storage room directly on the other side of the front wall. But I want the P3 to be in the main listening room. While the TT will be very close to the AVR on the other side of the wall, I am not sure that the stock cables will reach.

Can the stock cables be easily swapped out or should it be done professionally? Should the preamp stay with the TT. I don't have a PSU at the moment, but if I get one, will that make the placement easier. What upgraded cabling should I be looking at - not budget but moderate price.

Thanks as always.

2. Ian

Ian Active Member

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Save your money. Having the table rewired will be expensive and add capacitance as you lengthen the cable. If you don't need to add any length, you are good to go, so wait until you do the trial fit. As long as the table and AVR are about the same height on either side of the wall, the cable will easily reach through as walls are typically rather thin. If you do need to extend the cable, it will be cheapest to buy a couple of RCA barrel adapters (female on each end) and an as short as possible RCA stereo patch cable. That will lengthen the cable by whatever the length the patch cable is. It will add some capacitance but cost very little.

The best solution, if you don't mind spending some money, is to buy an external phono stage. You can buy rather compact units that will fit right beside or beneath the table and then allow you to run any length of RCA cable into the other room without sonic penalty. In fact, you will be getting a sonic upgrade that is reflective of your choice and investment in the quality of the phono stage.
    -Bill

Long Live Analog likes this.
  4. pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Bill. I thought my profile had it , but I guess not; I am currently using a Cambridge 540P phone preamp. So longer cables if necessary from it to the AVR. I should have figured that out on my own.

As long as I have your attention, if the avr is on the other side of the wall, is there a solution to connecting headphones, without going the wireless route?

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

After the gain of your preamp, you can run very long cables if required. As for the headphone, just an extension cable will work as well, male into the receiver and female on the open end in the listening room to connect your headphones. Depending upon how your amp is set-up internally, you may have to walk into the room with the receiver and plug-in the headphone cable when you want to use it and vice versa when you do not as some output jacks will mute the audio circuit going to the speakers when the jack is connected.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.