Rega P3 / Groovetracer Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dream On, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been planning the purchase of a new Rega P3, largely because I think my favorite table that I've ever owned was a P5. That table was just so snappy, punchy, and fun to listen to. I've enjoyed various tables, they've all sounded great to be honest (with different pluses and minuses to be sure), but I've decided for the long haul I'll probably fall into the Rega camp, which suits my preferences best.

I see comments that with upgrades one can get a P3 to the level of an RP6 and possibly beyond. The tt-psu would be one such upgrade (I think I'll wait to see if a new one is coming). Another upgrade I am kicking around is upgrading the subplatter and platter. I think it should be possible to use the RP6 reference subplatter from GT and thus an RP6 stock glass platter. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? Considering the RP6 can use a regular GT subplatter along with the reference RP6 subplatter, and the P3 can use a regular GT subplatter, that should mean the P3 can accomodate the RP6 subplatter too, right? Or is there more to it than that? Searching around I don't see any discussion of doing this so I thought it was an idea worth throwing out there.

I should mention as well that these are just future plans. I will run the table in stock form for a while before actually making any changes.

2. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

You could shoot Frank at Groovetracer an email. He's generally very willing to help out with such questions. For the record I am running a P3-24 with GT subplatter, and delrin platter, and, up until recently, the GT counterweight. Not sure how big of a difference the counterweight made, but the platter and subplatter were both very noticeable improvements, especially the subplatter. I am planning on upgrading to a new turntable in the next month or so, and I see you're located in Canada. Fire me a PM if you might be interested in the setup!

3. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Consider the law of diminishing returns when thinking about future upgrades of your P3. Beyond motor/psu and perhaps sub-platter upgrades, I would say that you'd be spending more money than you should for little - if any - improvement. It may be more cost-effective to sell the P3, start saving and looking at a turntable further up the Rega hierarchy. Perhaps tiller can give us an idea of how much his upgraded P3-24 has cost him so far, compared with a stock RP6 or even an RP8?

Morbius likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have an RP3 that I bought with an Elys2 cartridge and TTPSU. I added a white belt, the Groovetracer Reference sub-platter, Delrin platter and counterweight. I use it on top of a PS Audio PowerBase and VooDoo Cable Iso-Pod feet.

These additions made it a different turntable altogether. Seems as steady as digital and has all the vinyl qualities I craved. I am very happy. I think the upgrade path on the RP3 is a worthy pursuit.

HiFi Guy and iloveguitars like this.
  5. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I have the new RP3, Groovetracer subplatter, and delrin platter combo and it's fantastic. Really solid! I have so far held off on the TT-PSU, but might spring for it one of these days.

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I have a new P3 that has a slew of upgrades:

Groovetracer Reference Subplatter
    Groovetracer Delryn Platter
    Rega TTPSU
    Rega White Belt
    SRM Tech Silent Base
    SRM Tech motor thrust bearing
    Audiomods Series V arm

I highly doubt I'll ever buy another turntable.

Dan Steele, 1970 and displayname like this.
  7. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

These upgrade path discussions leave me wondering about the cost-effectiveness involved. Right now the Planar 3 can be had for $945US on several of the usual sites. The RP6 is $1495 but includes the better arm and TT-PSU. It seems more logical to start with the RP6. The next jump up, to the RP8, involves a massively larger outlay at $3490. The RP6 with TT-PSU seems the obvious choice in this lineup to me. What am I missing?

8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The P3 actually has a more up to date plinth vs the RP-6 as I understand it. You can get an RP3 and a TTPSU for less money. If you are going to get a Groovetracer platter, go this way.

If you aren't going to get a Groovetracer platter (but you should) get the RP6 as the stock RP6 platter is superior to the stock platter on the P3.

9. Lonson

I chose to upgrade the RP3 as it has the same tonearm as the RP6 (unlike the Planar 3 now offered) and I found a barely used model with the same cartridge as the RP6 and the TTPSU as well for less than the RP6. As the Groovetracer sublplatter is better than the slightly better than RP3 sub platter found on the RP6, I felt this was a good platform for that path of upgrades. Very happy with that decision.

Sugar Man and HiFi Guy like this.
  10. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

I wouldnt buy an RP6 right now... the new P6 will be out soon with the new RB330 arm and a simplified RP8 (rectangular) foam plinth.

11. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have an older P3 with a Groovetracer reference subplatter/white belt and the combo really improved things. Start there.

12. Dream On

Thanks for the replies everyone. As Lonson explains, it just seems to me like the R/P3 is the sweet spot. Let's just rule out the RP8 right off the bat. You can spend a lot upgrading a P3 before you even begin to approach RP8 prices. And for me, that is too much to spend when vinyl is my #2 medium.

Upgrading to the TT-PSU, and to a Groovetracer subplatter (and either a Delrin or even RP6 stock platter) probably gets one to RP6 performance and maybe beyond. You get the updated plinth and if I am not mistaken a better arm too (some of the posts in this thread make me unsure of that last point though, but I think the RB330 is superior). The RP6 may go on sale soon, but it seems it's main selling points are the platter and TT-PSU. Both of which I think can work with the P3. So yeah, I agree with those that suggest it's not as attractive as it once was.

13. Longshot

Longshot New Member

New member here but a long-time vinyl enthusiast !
    Recently bought Planar 3 and added GT Reference subplatter - easily noticeable improvement.

But pitch/speed fluctuation was sometimes noticeable so I was prepared to upgrade the wall wart to a TT-PSU but at last minute decided to get Delrin Platter ....problem solved as speed is now 33.34~33.37 and any variation is not audible to me.

No plans for additional upgrades at this point as am thinking TT-PSU or counterweight would not add joy to my system.

YMMV

Also using Michell record clamp but have not A/B'd to determine effectiveness.

14. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Why don't you just wait on the P6. It will have all the upgrades the P3 has, plus a new lighter plinth, and the better subplatter and platter. I love my new P3, but other than the new speed control, I would simply trade it in on a higher Rega than spend a ton of money upgrading it.

KT88 likes this.
  15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The subplatter may look nicer but still may be plastic as it is on the RP6. You have to go to the RP8 to get something comparible to the Groovetracer.

16. Dream On

Yup. That and the fact that the P6 will probably cost $1,000 more.

I think the P3 is a really sweet spot in the line up, for what you get for the money. And that you can upgrade bit by bit over time and probably come close to current RP6 level performance.

That I once used a P5 and loved the sound made it easy to get the P3.

I wouldn't spend $2K for a P6. Not saying they are not worth it, but it's more than I want to fork over for a turntable (records are a secondary source for me). That said, I'm sure it will be a worthwhile upgrade over the P3. Maybe one day in a couple years, if I'm spinning lots of records, when a great condition used model pops up I may consider an upgrade.

displayname likes this.
  17. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

An RP8 might raise vinyl to your new #1. Then you can sell all that digital rubbish and be ahead in the bargain. :righton:

thxphotog, andybeau and Mazzy like this.
  18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I think the P5 is sort of under appreciated - maybe its US price was a little high. I had one with a Groovetracer subplatter and had no complaints about sound quality.

riknbkr330 likes this.
  19. Dream On

Haha, it's possible but I'll pass for now. The time to be a record collector was in the 90's and early 00's. Now that record prices are relatively high it's an expensive proposition, so I'll add to my collection slowly and judiciously. I like buying CDs for $5 and under. I buy a lot of used CDs as there are a couple of used CD chains in this area...they only take in product if it's in great shape. Literally, everything I buy from these stores is like new. Plus I have a nice player that also does SACD's. If I sold all my digital and bought an RP8 and started buying records, I doubt I'd be ahead. I would likely be way behind. That's how little one would get for a CD collection. Even the players themselves are heavily discounted.

Mine was stock and it just had a really infectious sound. Probably not the last word in accuracy, but I'm not going to chase ultimate accuracy in vinyl playback. If I can make small upgrades to a P3/P5 level Rega that yield good results, I will be happy with that. And yes...I'm thinking my first upgrades will be GT subplatter, TT-PSU, and maybe a Michell or Clearaudio clamp. Oh, and eventually a move up to a nicer cart.

20. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The 330 is the superior arm. The P3 will share it with the new P6. The P3 is already very near or at RP6 levels, and it is the sweet spot right now. The P6 is going to be better though.

21. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

@Dream On, I was kinda joshing you. Vinyl is an expensive addiction that eventually leads all of us to the poor house and/or mad house, but what a fun ride! I'd get a good deal on a P3 and then upgrade with a GT sub and platter. Then, once fully in fever phase, go step-up transformer and lose your mind in the MC cartridge space odyssey!

22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Don't buy the current PSU, then new one is going to be adjustable. It should be released shortly after the P6 hits the streets. The 330 arm will definitely handle a better cart than the Ortofon Blue. I am using a Dyna 202xh on mine, but that model does require going to the tungsten CW to balance it.

displayname likes this.
  23. Dream On

Yep, going to wait for the new PSU for sure.

24. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The arm on the new Planar 3 is actually a better arm than the one on the RP6. It will be used on the new Planar 6 also.

25. Lonson

There was no new P3 option when I made my upgrades to the RP3. To me it made more sense to upgrade the RP3 than get an RP6, and they both shared the same arm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.