Rega P3 Tonearm Hum After Cartridge Replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taylor7108, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taylor7108

Taylor7108 Active Member Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my P3 from the stock Elys 2 cart to the Exact. After installing the new cart, there is a bit of static/hum coming from the right speaker. I hear it for about 5-10 seconds after the turntable is powered on and then it goes away. Also, if I touch the top two wires on the tonearm, the hum is more pronounced.

It sounds like a grounding issue to me, but I wanted to get your feedback. I tried removing and re-inserting the wires after I first noticed the issue.

2. Taylor7108

Taylor7108 Active Member Thread Starter

Friendly bump - looking for feedback

3. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

If you put the Elys 2 back on, is the hum eliminated? If so, I'd say the problem lies with the new Exact.

bluesaddict likes this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Check if the connectors from arm to cartridge are tight enough. If they're loose you'll have hum.

Christophe999s likes this.
  5. Christophe999s

Christophe999s Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing. You can put a toothpick in the connectors and then tighten them with a pair of pliers. With the toothpick you can make sure you won't squash them. Then put them back on the cart.

6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Unfortunately, this happened to me too with the P3 and 2M Blue. It drove me crazy. I was swapping cartridges like mad to determine it was not the cart and broke one of the lead wires. I was so pissed. Nothing helped until I attached a ground wire to the metal brace with a piece of metal tape and then grounded it to my phono preamp. People will tell you it's some AC issue in your house or nearby appliance, which is bull. I ran the P3 on a dedicated AC line with all of the other circuits in the house turned off and connected it to a DC battery powered amplifier and phono stage and still got the static and buzzing sound in the right channel. The problem is with the table. The only reason I didn't return mine is because of the broken lead wire. I assume Rega or my dealer will say it was my doing, but I know the problem was there before the accident. The installation of the 2M Blue was seamless and uneventful. I love the table but the experience and the underlying buzz issue does grate on me big time. Every time I think I have let it go for good, I see that damn ground wire and get ticked off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.