Rega P5 vs. P3-24

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Having both here side by side, I'd say that you will hear an incremental improvement in the P5 sound (I've found it to be a bit more cart-choice sensitive...) but not on the same level as if you went from a P1 to a P3...

I think the P5 has a bit more definition on the bass side as the most audible characteristic

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, that's why I don't want him to do it, however great that offer is, 'cause I might walk away thinking my P3-24 is just fine.

3. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's what I've heard about moving up the Rega table line... each step gets you a little more defined in the bass due to the additional isolation and vibration resistance. But that's just what I've heard. Though that might explain why I was disappointed by the DV20X... maybe too deep a driver for the P3. It just sounded like mud. Though could have been my MC stage, also. But I wasn't willing to invest more to find out.

Ian -- I just read through that thread and agree with the overall assessment by the detractors. However, the only definitive conclusion I have on that cart is that it depends on what you are listening to. I had one album... an '80's EAS Sgt Peppers, that was mind-blowing. Unfortunately, of my 300+ LPs, that was the only one that justified the expense. Now... my dad... he loves the DV20X... 'cause what it did for my Sgt Peppers it does for his collection of Motown, etc. It tames those old records. But most of my stuff is 70's/80's and it didn't work on more balanced recordings. So I take the opposite tact, being of the CD generation, and go for the more sharper attack of the 10x5.

Interestingly.... some of my 80's 45rpm 12" singles sounded great with the 20x. But those always do.

4. Keez

Keez New Member

Buy a P5 !:righton:

5. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

If you want a fuller sound, I'd recommend you at least audition a Grado Reference Sonata. I know everyone and his brother here will steer you away from using a Grado on a Rega because of hum issues (just watch). But on the flip side, I am also sure there are many Rega owners out there that have Grados and are very, very satisfied with them. Moreover, hum is not the problem people make it out to be; just ask Bill (KT88) at Uptown Audio. I have a small amount of hum with mine that is audible only when the volume is turned up and only when the stylus is in the lead-out groove of an LP (that is, no music). When music is playing, I never hear it. As KT88 pointed out, it is lower than the level of surface noise from a record.

But the richness, sweetness, and musicality of the sound quality from the Sonata makes it all worth it.

Just a thought...

6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I can rate that shop as well. William is serious about his stuff and knows a lot about carts and Vinyl playback in general and is always willing to help you with any questions you might have - I ordered new headshell cables for my Technics SL 1210 to be prepared to have that ready for that Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III, which sadly never appeared - Both ordered and paid for the same day - Friday January 30th. The cables were there fast as lightning - on monday morning of February 2nd .... couldn't believ how fast that order was deliverd !
    audioaffair.co.uk in Birmingham did not manage to send me anything after 3 weeks and still refuse to refund me or answer my emails ....
    That' what I call a rip-off - plain and easy. This didn't take place on eBay and with strangers, but with a large company that has Internet Delivery Is Safe and 30 day money back guarantee plastered all over it's homepage... Unbelievable !

7. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Well this threads been perkin'. I think the dyna 20 flux damping does tame things down. Kind of like a harshness filter. I'd qualify I used it in a tube system. The Grado sonota low output on a rega 5, reduce hum? My silver hums when I crank it louder. Does anyone know about the ground motor to the arm technique? I experimented with aluminum foil beofre going MU, the foil made hum worse, and I've heard of people getting variable results with MU. It's just the grado makes me feel I'm listening to analog. I A/B'd DCC Jazz samba LP and cd directly (both were synched up) and the Ortofon 2M sounds so close to the Jupiter cdp its a total toss up. I did'nt know what to think, is this a good thing my cdp sounds like vinyl, or my TT sounds like cee dees!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.