Rega Planar 2 or Project Debut Carbon?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Looking to buy a second turntable....Any user comments on either of the above regarding benefits/pitfalls? Difficult to find unbiased reviews via magazines and audio stockists ,so would welcome input from owners!

Randoms likes this.
  2. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Both are great. It comes down to what you're a fan of. Me-P2 (due to better tonearm).

HiFi Guy likes this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Planar 2...By a wide margin. Not even close.

I own both.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. frimleygreener

[​IMG] Sorry..I should have been clearer...it is the Debut Esprit Iam interested in....this has the acrylic platter and carbon fibre tone arm, and many UK reviewers compare it very favourably to the Planar 2.

5. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Difficult to get unbiased opinion anywhere!

New or used?

6. Only your ears can decide your choice

7. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the latest Planar 2, but years ago I debated between the Rega P2 and the P3-24. I bought the P2 and almost instantly regretted it, and traded it for the P3-24 a few months later. It was audibly a clear step up that I could hear at both the dealer and in my home, and I'm still using it today.

The latest Planar 2 may be better than the old P2, but I imagine Rega's tiering system is still the same in terms of build quality. I'd recommend looking at a demo Planar 3 or maybe a closeout model of the RP3, which are probably not much more than a new Planar 2.

Sorry for not directly answering your question.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  8. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Used P3 - 24 unbeatable for the price and better than new P2

9. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Having said that if $599 is your budget and you wont be keen on upgrading, the Esprit gives you electronic speed control and arguably a better cart for less money for SQ performance the new P2 will be superior with a bias 2 or 2m red

10. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

The Planar series has been completely redesigned. According to Rega, they literally only retained 10% of the previous parts.

11. frimleygreener

OK: The only thing wrong with my AR table is the arm: everything else(including the sound) is wonderful. Providing a replacement arm is both compatible(and desirable) are any special skills needed in actually fitting a new arm?. I believe some Linn arms are a "good fit" in that they will fit the existing tone arm anchor points/board..but is there soldering/cable routing involved that may deter an amateur?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.