Vinyl transfer to digital software issues using usb phono stage *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cjrn88, Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjrn88

cjrn88 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Having decided to splash some cash, I bought a Rega Planar 3 with an Elyse cartridge fitted two weeks ago. I am not a very educated audiophile having used a Numark TTUSB for the past 10 years, which I upgraded with an Ortofon red cart and got great results. I listen to records through Xone headphones (not decent speakers) and make AIFF files with Pure Vinyl software to listen to on the Mac through Fidelia (not I-Tunes). I am using the Rega Fono Mini AD20 as a phono stage into the Mac. The Planar 3 is a huge disappointment giving muddy and slightly sibilant results and lacking the clarity and spacing I got from the simple Numark TTUSB - all my records are 12" singles/maxis (I don't listen to LPs), so have a louder mastering. All my records are very clean and well cared for (dirty ones have been washed and then I use Record Re-virginizer if necessary) and have all sounded great on the Numark. I was looking for a little more depth of sound with the Planar, but the results are really disappointing by being so muddy and unclear. I have re-checked the set up of the Planar, making sure it is absolutely level and the tone arm weight is correct etc etc - am I looking at getting a better cartridge/upgrade the phono stage to get clearer listening results - or I have I just wasted my money, and should be looking at something else to get better results?

punkmusick likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Try the Ortofon on the Rega. It might be the Elys. I doubt it's the actual Planar 3. If that works, stick with the Red for the time being. If you have some money to upgrade, get a metal subplatter like the Tangospinner. It'll be a better upgrade than a cartridge. When you do get around to a cartridge, the quieter background from the new subplatter will give allow you to hear the cartridge with more clarity.

eyeCalypso and cjrn88 like this.
  3. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Rega turntables demand some sort of good isolation or decoupling from the rack or shelf or whatever they are sitting upon. Emphasis on good.
    Next they will need the cartridge aligned and setup properly to whichever Stevenson or Baereald or Lofgren protractor you choose. I found the Mobil Fidelity GeoDisc worked amazingly on my Planar2. Even with the Rega Bias cartridge the turntable came with, the GeoDisc made a huge difference in separation and localization of performers. Good luck.

eyeCalypso and cjrn88 like this.
  4. Jack/UK

Jack/UK Well-Known Member

I have P3 with Elys and mine is perfect. Thou next year I will treat myself to AT cartridge and new subplatter.

Maybe check with dealer. I got mine from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision and they were great to advise me on my journey

The Revealer and cjrn88 like this.
  5. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

From everything I've read on this site,the Elys is not a good cartridge.The next step up in the line the Rega Exact, seems to be liked by everybody.Maybe your dealer will let you trade up.

6. cjrn88

7. cjrn88

Thank you - I did find on the Numark that the Ortofon gave the best performance (having previously tried a Shure Cart) and was very clear, if a lacking in bass. I am tempted to go for an Ortofon Bronze or an Audio Technica - I know the Ortofon requires a 4mm rise in the arm - so maybe a visit back to the dealer to fit it! The subplatter is maybe a step too far at this stage.

8. Jack/UK

Jack/UK Well-Known Member

AT can go with no spacers I had been told

9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have never tried the Tango subplatter. I bought the Groovetracer Reference subplatter. Not only reduces wow and flutter but lowers the noise floor dramatically.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

Sell it, or give it back to your dealer, Rega turntables with their cart all sound like that, if you don't like the "family Rega sound" I suggest you to change for another turntable; Pro-ject are really good turntables and quite cheap, you can get a 2xpression for more or less the same price as the P3, and they are not so fussy as Rega if you want to try different cartridges as you don't need spacers, to have the correct VTA And IMHO have a better design and look than Rega

11. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

My Rega sounds different with every cart that I put on it.

cjrn88 likes this.
  12. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

It’s the cart. Go with AT . It will be a pleasant surprise from where you are currently.

13. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have never heard an Elys. But I have almost never heard anything good about it. It probably has a frequency response that resembles a mountain range more so than a flat line.

cjrn88 likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Or you know, youre just hearing the carts and not the table.

cjrn88 and PhxJohn like this.
  15. The Elyse nearly forced me to give up on LPs. Once i got rid of it i realised the joy of my vinyl collection. Take the deck back to the dealer and ask them to change the cart. You will a happy man after that. Promise

SandAndGlass and PhxJohn like this.
  16. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

There are various after-market upgrades available for Rega turntables. If you were to change the platter to acrylic, upgrade the bearing and motor pulley, and maybe a few more improvements, you will be IN LOVE with your Rega. Once you spent the money, so far, on the turntable, you are only 1/2 way there to audiophile sound perfomance.

And yes, above all, improve your cartridge. I like the Denon 301 Mk. II with a preamp that can take a MC cartridge or with a transformer step-up.

17. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

As one post suggested, the OP should try his Ortofon Red on the P3. I don't think a spacer is absolutely necessary, Rega argues against them, and there are retail outlets that mount 2M carts without spacers. Try the Red on the P3 to compare with the Neumark setup apples-for-apples. That should indicate if the problem is in the cart or table. Good luck.

cjrn88 likes this.
  18. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

I have a P3 with an Exact. Once that baby warms up it is perfect.

SandAndGlass, cjrn88, PhxJohn and 3 others like this.
  19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Either try your Ortofon, or go back to your dealer and shop compare your deck with the Elys, the Ortofon, and maybe an Exact on it or a shop demo RP3. The problem isn’t the the RP3, which is a great deck, or your Rega Fono stage, which is fine. You should be getting nice sound, particularly with 12” singles. You’ve not wasted your money. But something isn’t working for you. A good dealer should help you out.

eyeCalypso, cjrn88, HBJ and 1 other person like this.
  20. cjrn88

Wow - what a lot of very helpful advice from everyone - thank you all. First stop the dealer and see what happens with a change of cart - I definitely think it is the cart which isn't anywhere as refined as I had hoped. I not so sure I want to go down the road of practically changing all the engineering with a new sub-platter, so the cart is the first step.

21. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

LOL !!

22. cjrn88

I am looking into the isolation - the deck at present sits on top of double height wooden record shelves on a wooden floor and I haven't found that it jumps when walking around the room - but it seems a bamboo chopping board, or maybe a piece of slate under the TT maybe the answer - but any further suggestions would be every welcome

23. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I'm a firm believer if the table turns at the correct speed, and is set up correctly, all you are hearing is the cart. My opinion.

timind, bever70 and cjrn88 like this.
  24. cjrn88

Back to the dealer to try the Exact cart or even an Ortofon Bronze

25. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I think that’s the most upsetting part about the entry level Pro-ject, musichall, and rega tables.

You pay a significantly higher price than cheap DJ tables and the performance is rarely bested. You have to upgrade this, tweak that.
    There’s always an explanation, an upgrade right around the corner. I think it’s a shame.

You think that you’re stepping up to get a “real” turntable, only to find out you bought a ticket for a rocky ride.

Then everyone goes, yeah you really have to spend at least $1500 to get a decent turntable.

It’s bull **** if you ask me.

Leigh, Brian Lux, ZenArcher and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.