Rega Planar 6 vs Technics SL1200GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mateo Sanboval, Feb 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice. Thread Starter

Hello! I have a turntable and cartridge budget of roughly $2000 USD (not that I'm dying to spend every penny of it) and have winnowed my options down to either a Rega Planar 6 with Exact 2 cart or a Technics SL1200GR with a nice MM cart like the Ortofon 2M Bronze or the like. I'm only looking for MM carts right now as my amp is the integrated Fully Loaded version of the Schiit Ragnarok 2 which has a built in MM phono stage and I'm not interested in upgrading either the amp or the phono stage at the moment. My questions are:

1. Which of these two turntable options to my fellow Hoffmaneers prefer and why?

2. Whichever your preference, which MM cartridge(s) do you recommend for your chosen deck?

3. Lastly, is there an obvious turntable/cart combo in my $2K price range that I have overlooked that can realistically compete with either of my two finalists?

F1fletch, Albireo, Soul71 and 3 others like this.
  2. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

1. Rega, until Technics improves the quality of the cue lever. If you have a chance to inspect the Technics in person you might agree the cue lever is quite unpleasant. For want of a nail!
    2. Nagaoka, pick one that fits your budget. MP200 is about as good as it gets for MM.
    3. Clearaudio Concept. I'd go with this and save up for a nice cart.

3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Both great choices! I would try to listen to them both as they have different design philosophies and sound. You may not be interested in upgrading to an external phono preamp at the moment. But you are missing out on a significant upgrade. There is some real magic that happens in the phono pre section of the chain. Upgrading would also allow you to upgrade to LOMC carts like the Ania for the P6. Don't worry, you can upgrade this down the line. And if you really care about sound quality, you really should.

I happen to have the P6/Ania combo currently and its a fantastic sounding combination. The P6 was a significant upgrade over its predecesor the RP6 as it included many of the after market upgrades that RP6 owners would make to improve the sound. Technics makes excellent decks as well. High build quality and excellent sound. Pick one and enjoy the music. Rega is a polarizing brand. Technics is not. But my experience with the P6 has been a lot of musical enjoyment and very little fuss.

4. arem

arem Forum Resident

I cannot imagine letting something as small as the cue lever be the deciding element between turntables. I never even knew people cared about them until I started reading this forum.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You will be happy with both.

I chose Techincs for a lot of reasons mainly boiling down to wanting a more hands on reference experience.
    Being able to ground, SRA VTA and Azimuth adjust as well as switch headshells with more accurate speeds are pros for me.
    As a Rega user the Technics cue felt weird at first but I now thinks its superior because it both allows for stiff cueing so alignment installation is easier and smooth play if you raise the lift screw a bit to give it more of a head start.

wrat, Albireo, luckybaer and 3 others like this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Also, I have no complaints about the Technics cue lever. It works perfectly fine.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

1. Which of these two turntable options to my fellow Hoffmaneers prefer and why?

I chose the GR primarily for speed accuracy/stability (Rega doesn’t even publish specs, so it was a challenge to seriously consider a P6), but also because I felt a heavy deck would work better in my environment than a low-mass design like Rega. I also think the Technics is a bit better value for money than Rega at US pricing.

2. Whichever your preference, which MM cartridge(s) do you recommend for your chosen deck?

I use an Audio-Technica VM95ML. It’s all I have used so far on this turntable, but I like it. Keeps you under your budget, too. However, you should find out the capacitance spec of your phono stage to make sure you can keep it within the recommended range for any cartridge you choose. I can’t find that on Schiit’s site anywhere, so you may want to contact them to ask.

3. Lastly, is there an obvious turntable/cart combo in my $2K price range that I have overlooked that can realistically compete with either of my two finalists?

There could be, but I personally don’t think I would have been as happy with the other $2k options as I have been with the GR. The pitch accuracy of the direct drive is just too valuable to me, and physically, it’s a tank.

wrat, matrix-6, WapatoWolf and 4 others like this.
  8. These 2 turntables couldn't be more different. From the drive system to the features. The Technics would be the best by far. The features alone set it apart. I have found the variable speed pitch control alone to be a necessity. One of the few European turntable manufacturers to recognize superior technology is Pro-Ject. Their "Signature" S-type tone arm puts them on top. Every cartridge has a different sound and you might get several different ones and pick the one which sounds best to you.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Too much MDF with Rega. Get the Technics, or the Clearaudio.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  10. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I don't believe REGA use any MDF in the P6 construction but I agree with @Big Blue that it feels unsubstantial compared to the 1200 as if I farting too loud in the living room could blow it into the kitchen.

ryaneagon, Goldy, Twinsfan007 and 2 others like this.
  11. james

james Summon The Queen

and to be fair to Rega, that’s the whole point of the design. It works well for me.

WapatoWolf and PhotoMax like this.
  12. missan

missan Forum Resident

Do people actually use a cue lever? Doesn´t seem any fun.

wgb113, The FRiNgE and 389 Tripower like this.
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

1. Technics. Easy set up, easy adjustments, rock solid, virtually maintenance free for the next few decades, pitch control, removable headshell, energetic presentation, sounds amazing etc.

2. The most expensive Nagaoka you can afford.

ubiknik, Hardcore, Soul71 and 2 others like this.
  14. Leonthepro

With my expensive cart, damn right I do!

nomad709, willboy, luckybaer and 4 others like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Both of which I agree with. The Technics is a built to last, maintainable, versatile turntable. Which does things Regas don't do. And is lower maintenance. The Nagaoka is a superb cartridge, on the warm and friendly side. If you want brighter and livelier, get an Audio-Technica AT-VM 500 family cartridge as an alternative option. Or you could get both with another headshell.

luckybaer and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  16. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

Check this out. The 1210GR I saw on display at my dealer has the same problem. This could easily destroy your treasured cartridge. Hardly what I'd consider a small issue. Lots of people report no problems with their GR. Good for them. I wouldn't buy one till Technics acknowledges the problem and issues a hardware revision.

stenway likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

Video wont load. I have no cueing problems with mine anymore though.

18. james

james Summon The Queen

what do you mean by this? I feel like a Rega would be easier to service. Install a new belt, swap out a motor, replace a PSU, etc. I know Technics have a good reputation for reliability, but the motor seems more advanced and difficult to service. Is that not the case?

Firehead likes this.
  19. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The Technics' s-shaped tonearm, detachable headshell, and VTA adjustment features support quick and easy precision alignment of user selected cartridge to the Technics tracking error scheme. On the other hand the Rega's straight tonearm/non detachable headshell and lack of a VTA adjustment feature precludes the user to relatively slow, and tedious cartridge alignment process for user selected cartridge, which will require alignment via a protractor, and may require cartridge or tonearm shimming to achieve proper VTA. This means the Rega is not the best choice of the two when cartridge experimentation/substitution is desired.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rega is higher maintenance. Annual maintenance on the Technics for most users, 2 drops of oil on the spindle bearing with the Technics oil, stylus if necessary. Technics has the reliability built in. Can a Rega be used more than light home use and hold up, I doubt it. Technics can be used constantly for many hours a day, and still be low maintenance. And will hold up.

Don't confuse Rega belt drive with reliable if you use a turntable at all heavily. I play records on average more in one month than some here do in 6 months. A turntable which lasts for me, will last for you. The Technics motor lasts and lasts on average, it's not a weakness. I've never had to replace one (and that's on examples which got used in clubs, bars, and broadcast work at that). You using one at home is a life of ease by comparison.

My old Rega Planar 2 is on it's 3rd motor, 8th belt, had subplatter upgraded, the tonearm upgraded. This machine gets played a few hours 3 days a week average. Technics SL-1500 gets used 2-5 hours daily on average. Has it's original motor, and the worst thing ever done to it over 2 owners, was the 33 1/3 RPM-Off-45 RPM switch replaced once, pots cleaned, and the Technics oil in the spindle bearing done twice yearly. This Technics is older than the Rega is by several years too. To give Rega credit, the Planar 6 of today's had considerable improvements in every way. But they'll never be Technics reliable. But the Regas are intended for light duty home use, too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  21. james

james Summon The Queen

I don't doubt that, but I fail to see how a Rega table is high maintenance at all. I've been running various Regas for 20 years and all I've had to do is swap the belt out on occasion.

crispi and Morbius like this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is a major problem for many users right there. I hate changing a cartridge on a Rega arm myself. I use mine only for LP discs, and only modern audiophile LP discs only. I like mine for what it does, but also equally dislike the idea of it being my main turntable.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

How many hours a day do you use your Rega? Mine is used very sparingly (maybe 4-5 hours a week at most) . I play more records in 3 or 4 days than many do in a month or two months. But I use my Technics for that job. As it is less fussy, and built to handle heavy use and last me many more years. I am on my 3rd motor on my old Planar 2. But it's an early one. It's well maintained. The new motor it has is the best of those 3 motors, Rega improved the motor over the years and the new white belt is also much better. That and the Groovetracer subplatter it now has, took it from wavery to stable. Pitch for me must be rock stable.

Steve Lauerman, the original Rega USA importer (then based in Knoxville, TN's Old City) was a friend of mine, and gave me this old Planar 2 before he died, which is why I was determined to get it up to standard. It reminds me of my dear departed friend, who was passionate about vinyl when vinyl was at it's lowest ebb. We loved hearing each other's records a lot.

rischa and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  24. james

james Summon The Queen

I'm probably around 2-3 sides a day on average. Not much. 3rd motor on a Planar! that's impressive.

McLover likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

But also do bear in mind, it is one of the earliest Planars in the USA. It's a very early Rega Planar. It also has major sentimental value, which is why I've done so much to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.