Rega Planar 8 announced!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnalogReview, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Hehe, yea, everybody is copying Rega now. Not quite as stylish, though :)

Is that cover actually from VPI, or aftermarket? I remember when Thorens got back in the turntable game about 10 years ago, they had that laminated plinth table with the heavy steel plate in the middle, along with a nice motor controller and modified Rega tonearm with VTA. Pretty nice table, but they decided to save a bit on the cover too ...

[​IMG]

PhxJohn likes this.
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Touche. You got me. But, the VPI is not weightless. And a cat can get in there ! LOL.

3. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

4. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

For a kidney, I'd probably wait for the P10. I'd say a P8 is worth a finger or two, though! :righton:

displayname likes this.
  5. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

Any report from the launching event ?

6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

*flamesuit on*

I just don't like how 'skeletal turntables' look. :sigh:

*heads for cover*

7. That’s why there are so many design styles. You don’t have to line these.

8. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

displayname and souladdikt like this.
  9. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Thanks. Geez, that's a nice looking table. Very mid-century mod--minimalist and organic. Now I have to hide my wallet.

10. bluesaddict likes this.
  11. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Great review. Thank you for posting. Rega TT's just keep getting better.

12. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Well I'm sold. When it comes time to upgrade I'll be choosing between the RP8 and Technics 1200G.

displayname and GoldprintAudio like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Great review!

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

2 completely different approaches, one of the lightest decks versus one of the heaviest.

15. Yes a big visual difference too. Techics are too industrial DJ like for my personal taste. Yes I am shallow and care about the design... Love how that P8 looks. Of course it's all so personal.

Crazyhorse11, andybeau and PhxJohn like this.
  16. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

The design of the 1200 is iconic--it was the industry standard for deejays worldwide. I was a deejay in college so I have an attachment to the design and still have my two 1200 Mk2 tables from those days--one of which I use in my home office for headphone listening. That said, I put a Rega in my living room and it's where the P8 would go if I decide to upgrade. And the early review, with the best pictures of the table I've seen yet, sure is tempting me to audition one when they hit my local dealer.

displayname likes this.
  17. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I’m in the same boat. I didn’t care for the Technics in 1975 when I bought my first table and nothing has changed.

18. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I care about aesthetics as well, and it took me a long time to come around to the looks of the Technics. However, seeing it in person at Axpona helped change my mind. It really is a beautiful machine.

In all honesty, I think the P8 is ugly. But what I like about both these very different decks is that it's clear a lot of thought and expert engineering went into their respective designs. With all due respect to their fans, I'll never own a VPI deck, as I just don't have any faith in the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" design approach. Neither Rega nor Technics seem so haphazard in their engineering.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    andybeau and Erocka2000 like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I had a Technics for awhile in the Eighties when my Phillips table went down.Found myself rarely playing records for some reason til I got my Linn in 1989.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think the P8 looks more attractive in the photos with a record on the table.
    Why do you say VPI is haphazard in their engineering?

21. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I think the Prime is a good table (and the Classic series before it), but the ever-changing roster of models above and below it turns me off. When they released the Traveler (I think) a few years ago, it had a lot of problems that had to be addressed and the early adopters paid the price in faulty tables and arms. I appreciate that they tried to compete at the entry-level, but think it sucks that they used customers as beta testers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  22. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

It's very true, but it's good to audition both if you don't already have strong opinions on a design philosophy. I demoed the P6, 1200GR and UltraDeck when I was buying, and I'm glad I did.

andybeau and HiFi Guy like this.
  23. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

displayname likes this.
  24. displayname likes this.
  25. Of note in the review: the Planar 8 quite literally makes its presence felt. If this turntable doesn’t put to bed the notion that great analogue bass is tied to mass, I’m not sure what will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.