Rega RB700 vs RB301

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have the chance to acquire the Rega RB700 tonearm for £315 through a friend of a friend. I already have the RB301. This seems quite a good price and im wondering if its worth ditching the RB301 i have for the RB700.

My RB301 is immaculate but unboxed, although i could sell it in the box of the RB700 should i buy this. Do you guys think this would be a good purchase. It would go on a Gyrodec SE and i wouldnt have thought it would leave me too much out of pocket? What do you think?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I would not bother. It is perhaps the equal of your RB301. You could also buy a new RB303 for about the same price, which if you needed a new arm, would be the best move. Since there is no issue with your arm currently, I'd not bother with any upgrade unless it was to an RB900 or better. Even those are getting older and the RB1000 would be a safer bet. It'll cost but then you'll actually get some improvement there.
    -Bill

3. richbdd01

Thanks Bill

Yeah i think you're probably right. I guess apart from the looks, they are very similar and the difference might be slightly better quality bearings but probably not enough there to have a huge effect on the sound quality. I wasnt so sure initially and originally had thought the difference would be greater.

Thanks for the advice

4. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

If you want an upgrade I'd spend the money on an Audiomods arm for a bit more money. I've never heard the RB700, but going from the RB300 to the Audiomods was a major upgrade.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd see if they'd take £300 for it and grab it, try it for yourself and decide whether you prefer it, if not it's not like you are going to end up much out of pocket and you will be able to make your own mind up.

I actually use the predecessor, the RB-600 on my Gyro SE and reckoned it was a worthwhile improvement on the RB-300 and the RB-250 come to that, I think my RB-600 was around £350 about ten years ago, so £315 sounds like a good buy. I actually have a RB-301 sat around, but haven't tried it on my Gyro, like I say, if you have the cash it's an easy swap, decide for yourself.

6. richbdd01

Well, i decided to cancel the purchase. I do like the look of the RB700 and think its made of better materials but i wonder just how much a difference it would make?? I really need to step back and just enjoy my system for a bit. Id be gutted to get it and it not be really that much difference....i know it only would have cost me £100-£150 but thats money i can spend on vinyl and it can become an obsession i guess...

On_the_dunes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.