Rega Record Store Day version issue - Help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sadcafe, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King Thread Starter

I am no techy. I do not like messing with set ups etc. Out of the box this Rega deck was simple to set up. But when I lower the arm it skates outwards and makes hitting the outer edge of the record difficult. Like wise if I drop the needle using the lever on any point on the record it swings an inch or so out away from the expected position. There is no obvious adjustments to be made. No advice in any documentation etc. Annoying. Rega have NO contact details and web page says to contact dealer. Dealer says contact Rega. HELP!

2. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Check the anti-skating -- not sure what the RSD Rega is, but if like the 3 --- see this:

Carraway likes this.
  3. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Does it have an anti-skate adjustment? It typically matches the stylus force. If it's not specified with you manuals you should at least be able to find the setup for the cartridge.

4. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

The anti-skate on both my Rega RP3 and Planar 3 causes an outward movement of I'd guess around a milliliter when lowering the arm. This was actually one of the first things the salesperson at my dealer told me when I demoed the RP3. This small amount of movement doesn't affect my ability to hit the record edge and I only play whole sides, so I'm not worried about choosing individual tracks. (Full disclosure: It does make using the Hi-Fi News Analogue Test LP a bit more challenging since that disc requires manually progressing between the test tracks.)

That said, an inch of movement is a lot; something is wrong.

The Record Store Day table is based on an RP3. Please go through the steps in the setup video above and ensure that the table is on a level surface.

5. Sadcafe

Not the same set up. Skate is preset. It is the RB110 arm. Nothing to adjust :-(

The new Planar is the most user friendly Rega turntable to date. Now with preset bias force on the brand new RB110 tonearm, the Planar 1 is set up in seconds after unpacking. Simply slide the balance weight onto the rear of the tonearm as far as it will go, remove the stylus guard and start spinning your favourite vinyl.

6. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I don't know if you already have done, but check the table is completely flat. You can get a spirit level app on most mobile phone types now.

Edited to add: as @dbsea suggested above!

7. Sadcafe

The arm is based on the RP 1 though:-(

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

(Going only from what I found online)
    The Rega RSD 2017 turntable is the RP3 motor and platter and plinth and the arm is from the Planar 1 (second version Planar 1?).

Rega launches 2017 Record Store Day turntable
    Rega's Record Store Day turntable will be signed by Elbow, Noel Gallagher and others

The anti skate might come "preset" but there should still be a setting, somewhere.

This Planar 1 page appears to show a slider to set the anti skate (bias), but there are apparently two versions of the Planar 1 and this PDF does not identify which version it covers:
    http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/rp1-instructions-english.pdf

Here's a page with photos of the current RP1 arm and how to set it, it's Part 3, picture 2 that you should be interested in for the bias. Is your RSD model arm like this?
    Rega RP1 Setup Guide | Audio Advice

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  9. Sadcafe

Checked and it is flat. Thanks for the tip though.

10. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

You bought it from a dealer and the dealer told you to contact Rega? Some dealer.

Helom and patient_ot like this.
  11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think (but not sure) that what Rega did with this non-adjustable tonearm is that when you "Simply slide the balance weight onto the rear of the tonearm as far as it will go", you actually set a tracking force of 3 gr., so because of this, they just don't bother with any anti-skate adjustment at all, because 3 gr. VTF can track without need of a precise anti skating. May be check the actual VTF if you have the tool.

12. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Pretty sure that the arm cueing device isn't level. Look at the bar that the arm rests on for cueing. If it is tilted even slightly towards the outer (or inner) edge of the platter it can cause this issue. It must be perfectly level to get a straight drop.

There is an Allen set screw where the bar connects to the lifting device. Loosen that and play with the bar until the surface is level and the arm drops straight.

Other than that if it's still happening check the arm wires and make sure they aren't too taut. They could be pulling on the arm. If so feed some more slack up to the arm from beneath the plinth.

13. Sadcafe

Many thanks. Will check on all those issues.

14. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Let us know what you find!!

15. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

when you lower the lever, do it very slowly and let the lever do the work once you give it just enough of a push. once you give the lever enough of a push take your finger off.

Sadcafe likes this.
  16. Sadcafe

Seems the bar may well be the issue, the tone arm is sliding out along it. The Alan key needed is minute and despite having a set of 32 Alan keys, none fit, all too big. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Had to order a new set so will not now get to work on the lever and bar mechanism until it arrives

17. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

You can borrow mine if you're in LA. otherwise you can buy a "gorilla grip" set at your local hardware store...the smaller yellow one I think has the size.

If you want me to figure out the size of the set screw let me know and I'll post it

Sadcafe likes this.
  18. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Never mind I see you're in the U.K.

19. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Until the new Allen wrench arrives, I would just use a steady hand and keep the cue lever in the down position. No reason you can't enjoy your new table in the interim.

Sadcafe likes this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

sound chaser likes this.
  21. chewie

chewie Forum Resident

I also purchased the RSD turntable but have to return it because of noisy motor. Is Rega quality control that bad?

22. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

23. chewie

chewie Forum Resident

The dealer refunded my money. Well back to my 80's Rega Planar 3.

Helom and JohnO like this.
  24. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Any update?

25. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Freaking ridiculous. Return that turntable to the seller and get something different. I cannot believe we accept this kind of shizzle from manufacturers, especially the big boys like Rega.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.