Rega RP1 arrived: Initial impression

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thxphotog, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

First I'll say if you asked me a month ago if I would EVER have a table back into my system I would have seriously doubted it. Never say never. :)

So I'm not expecting to 'wow' myself, I just would like a taste of nostalgia but I was pleasantly surprised out of the box with how nice it sounded. Especially surprising is that it sounded good to me with zero break-in, zero 'tweeking' and having it running through the phono inputs of my Pioneer Elite receiver (as pre-pro to Rotel amps). The sound had a lot more impact than I expected. More bottom end and had a nice wide soundstage. I suppose after years of SACDs, DVD-As etc I just assumed an inexpesive table would pale in comparison. Well so far we're in the ballpark at least. So I'm now anxious to hear the difference running it through my Spectral pre-amp. I wanna do that right, so I'll probably wait until the weekend to incorporate it.

One thing that was bit disappointing is that the RP1 has output cables hardwired to the unit so no option to run your own quality cables. This kinda shocked me. Even at this price-point, should I have been shocked? Seems like a no-brainer. Could cost really be a factor here?? Any insight here from anyone in the know?

Again so far so good. The jump back to analog is in progress and I'm already looking forward to making the used record store rounds here in L.A..

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Hard-wired cables = fewer connections = faster and cheaper assembly. Maybe cheaper parts cost too. The selected cabling is probably of a reasonably low capacitance, so should do the job well enough.

thxphotog likes this.
  3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Hard wired cabling all the way up the Rega line...oh and they sound great!

thxphotog likes this.
  4. thxphotog

OK, that's comforting to know. Thanks much for the feedback. Looking fwd to playing around with it.

5. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I bought my RP1 several months ago, and had similar impressions. Now I get the current fuss over vinyl. I've made some mods since then that have upped the ante and prolonged the honeymoon phase.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

What mods did you do?

7. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

My first "re-entry' into vinyl was the Rega RP1. I was pleasantly surprised. Easy set up. Sounded great. After about a year i bought the performance pack. Then I upgraded to a used P3-24. Not a super sophisticated "ear" but come on. I've listened to music all my life. I love the Rega line of products. You can't go wrong with the correct set up.

8. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

I put an AT440mla on mine and the difference was night and day. I'm very pleased with my table as is with no more mods.

9. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

The fun thing is you can go really far with one. The only thing stock on mine at this point is the subplatter and the tonearm.

I've made the following upgrades (with costs)

Nagoaka MP-110 Cartridge (~$50, with credit given for stock)
    Groove Tracer Acrylic Platter (~$199)
    "White belt" - ($40, and it's not snake oil!)
    Nagoaka MP-200 style, fitted to the MP-110 body ($176, but after about 2 years of heavy use I was due for a new stylus anyway)

So, I've got about $900 in it total.

The remaining upgrades would be a Groovetracer subplatter/bearing assembly ($200-$250), and and upgraded tonearm (The RB-303 at $600 would be the obvious choice). With both of those done I'd be at about the new retail for an RP6, and have a table that's better,

10. thxphotog

Thanks for the info & upgrades everyone. I've definitely 'got it bad'. I've bought about a dozen new LPs. (reminds me of Laser Discs in the day with these prices. Sheesh! - although I LOVE some of the packages such as the new Tom Keifer solo record that comes with the same record on CD packed in the jacket and nice gate-fold liner notes & pics)

I almost immediately bought the performance pack, not because I thought the RP1 was lacking, but because I thought if sounds this good stock........

So I just received the performance pack today and had a little trouble setting up the new cart. SO hard to align with various protractors when the cart(s) have no linear lines. They're all shaped like Lamborghini's. So I finally got it dialed in and it's 'breaking in' as I type. So far so good and man am I excited.

Tyler, what's your take on the platter? As with most 'upgrades', I've read that some people like them, and some insist that Rega platters are made very specific to the rest of the Rega parts/pieces therefore changing the platter can/will 'lose' the Rega-ness of the sound. Love to hear your feedback because that's something I'd like to explore next.

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a RP1 "performance" and having a great time with it. In fact I went all Rega in my current system!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

It's sounds like you're standing with your toes dangling on the edge of the rabbit hole.

The RP1 is cool, but I think if you're already thinking upgrades, you might have a hard look at a used RP6.

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Next step in my opinion. But till the pennies are saved I will be using my PR1.

14. Tyler Eaves

I had issues with the stock platter...if a record was even slightly warped it'd wobble making it worse. Speed stability was also not great due to the very low mass - the stock platter couldn't have been more than 6 ounces, the GR is 70. It's precision machined for Regas, to very tight tolerances (way tighter than factory). It was an improvement in every way. Once you go matless you'll never want to go back.

15. thxphotog

Thanks for the reply. My main concern was the stock motor being able to handle a platter that as you mentioned is more than 10x the weight. No issues though, eh? Very good to know.

Whistlerskibum likes this.
  16. Tyler Eaves

That is a minor concern for me. I do two things to mitigate.... I use my finger to help it along, and I also don't stop most of the time when flipping or changing. I've been running the groovetracer for almost 3 years now (Purchased August '11) and my motor is still going strong, with nearly daily use.

thxphotog likes this.
  17. Greg Carrier

Groovetracer subplatter and acrylic platter, Rega white belt, and Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. I liked it stock, but it's like a different table now.

I tried installing the Rega cart in the upgrade pack, but it was giving me fits -- I was getting lots of noise and buzzing. By then I had read enough about the Nagaoka that I was curious, so I ordered one.

18. Tyler Eaves

What difference did you find the subplatter made? That's probably my next upgrade. Otherwise I'm running a basically identical set of mods (+MP-200 stylus on the -110 body)

19. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Stop upgrading the RP1, it is not worth it.

Sell it, and get a used P3 – for probably less then you paid for the RP1 – and grab a decent cart.
    This will surpass any modded Rp1. Period. The RB101 arm is a joke compared to the RB300 that pretty much any P3 will have.
    Pretty much any Rega arm (250, etc.) is scads better.

Matt Starr, Ntotrar and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I agree, After adding the "performance" package you are better off saving up for a new (used) TT. As soon as I take care of some other expenses looming on my financial horizon I will buy a new RP6. I bought the RP1 with the upgrade installed.

21. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------
    You can buy a Rega/Moth RB 202 for l$299 from BritAudio.

22. Greg Carrier

Lower noise floor, steadier pitch, more solid bass. Just smoother overall. The subplatter upgrade made a bigger difference than the platter. And by the way, my next upgrade will probably be an MP 200 stylus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.