Rega RP3 grounding issues. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Bought a refurbished RP3 which I had to bring back to the dealer to have tonearm wiring issues addressed. Thankfully, that's fixed but what I'm experiencing now are grounding issues.

If I add a ground wire from the Lounge phono preamp and touch the other end on metal parts of the tonearm, the buzzing goes away instantly. This is even when the turntable is not on (i.e. not spinning). Is there a way for me to ground to the tonearm without it being unsightly? If so, how?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. There may still be a fault in the arm's wiring. It should be internally grounded and you should not hear a hum. Go back to the dealer or at least speak to them. If you can get them to listen to it in the shop all the better

andybeau likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It sounds like they didn't fix the grounding issues. Grounds through shield of one of the phono leads (right I think). Hasn't this been subject of another thread ? If so get a refund.

KT88, H8SLKC and Standingstones like this.
  4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Send that damned table back Strat. Brand new piece of gear, jacked up, dealer "fixes" it but it still has problems? Nope. Return it for a refund and get something different, or at least demand an on-the-spot new replacement unit. You deserve better.

rebellovw and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Exorcism?

[​IMG]

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Reread the original post. It is not a brand new table. It is a used table in damaged condition that the dealer tried to pass off as "refurbished". Rega does not sell refurbished, nor "B stock" product. That is crap made-up by dealers. Mail order houses regularly get returns of products in all sorts of condition and then need to do something with them. Most try to pass them off as "open box" or some other crap that isn't true. They are used, period.
    -Bill

H8SLKC and rebellovw like this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You don't need to do anything. The dealer lied to you. You should have received a table in perfect functional condition. It may be an intermittent problem, which can be hard to trace, but it is a problem nevertheless. Return it.
    -Bill

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Thanks. They didn't have any other units so I'll be returning it for a full refund.

The choices appear to be to pay through the nose for the same thing or much less or to buy a used one from CraigsList. The only good one I've found is a Marantz TT15S1 which is more expensive but it looks like he'll either have to seriously compromise or spend more anyway. The ball's in his court.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.