Rega RP6 motor noise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LARGERTHAN, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately of late, my RP6 seems to have developed an intermittent motor noise. It's gone from whisper quiet operation to developing a feint rubbing or friction noise, occurring each time the pulley completes a revolution, lending a sound that is akin to locomotive far off in the distance. It's feint but it's there, and obviously becomes amplified on contact by the stylus.

It's not a belt or sub-platter issue, have disconnected belt to no avail, with the sound most certainly emanating from the motor. It does seem to work itself out after playing a side or two. In fact, it's not always there - perhaps on 60% of start-ups.

So, is there any way I can easily administer oil to motor, if this might prove useful? Have read about thrust bearings too - seems in other similar cases upgrading this seemed to provide a solution, though I'm hesitant to start going at the motor.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. The RP6 is not cheap. I would not mess with it. Either contact Rega direct or take it to your dealer. Is it still under warranty

johnny q likes this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Just to double check...you are saying that noise continues with the belt off the table?

4. Do you drop a dab of their oil in between the subplatter yearly ? Maybe that's just with the groovetracer ?

5. LARGERTHAN

It does, it's most certainly the motor.

6. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I'd email the US distributor - Sound Organization. They have always responded promptly to my queries.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. LARGERTHAN

I'm over the other side of the pond, but agreed, best to get in touch directly. A cursory reading around web seems to pinpoint thrust bearing issue, but who knows in reality...

8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

My bet is that the bearing well is getting dry.

You need two drops of oil in the bearing well. Lock the tonearm in its rest. Lift off the platter. Use clean fingers or clean nitrile gloves to remove the belt and set it aside on a clean cloth. Lift the subplatter straight up. Put two drops of turntable bearing oil in the well. Put one drop of oil on the shaft. Place the subplatter straight into the well carefully and slowly. It will feel spongy. Don't drop it in. Leave it alone for a few minutes to settle all the way down on its own. Then remount the belt and platter and turn on the TTPSU. The noise should be gone.

If you don't want to do the lubrication service yourself, take it to your dealer. All lubricants dry out and/or evaporate. All turntable shafts, bearings and thrust plates must be kept lubricated. A turntable in weekly use for hours at a time needs lubrication service every 1 or 2 years.

benzo, Stone Turntable and McLover like this.
  9. LARGERTHAN

The sub-platter is fine and seems to be operating normally. Rather, the noise is emanating from the motor itself. As it's a friction noise that seems to work itself out eventually, I also wonder if oiling could be the remedy. I've contacted Paul Darwin on Pinkfish, will see if he has any insight...

10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

How long have you had/used the table? Very possible it could just need oil as you have noted.

11. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Does it still occur if you give the platter a little push before hitting the power button?

12. Yes This. They are pretty good about helping.

13. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Did you discover what the problem was, LAGERTHAN?

14. LARGERTHAN

I did. Rega recommended 1 drop of 2050w mineral engine oil via syringe into pulley - I think I administered where a gap was, will have to re-check. Rega were at pains in warning not to over oil. Hope this helps.

beverett and Dayfold like this.
  15. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, LARGERTHAN (sorry I misspelt your name previously.)

I've just bought a new RP6. There's a significant motor/pulley noise at start-up, just for a second or two until the platter is up to speed. It's audible without the belt on and more so with it on as it vibrates the belt briefly. I'm not sure if it's a normal operating noise or needs looking at. Is yours quiet from the moment it's switched on now?

16. Sometimes there is a very brief split second start up sound but to me it seems it's just physical mechanical objects making contact.

Dayfold likes this.
  17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Mine makes a sound for a split second at start up as well, even if I start the platter by nudging it a bit by hand before hitting the power switch. It's almost a bit of a "rattle" noise. It runs completely silent after that initial moment. It's done that since the day I got it. I had a dealer demo unit on loan while I awaited my unit to be delivered from the importer and the demo RP6 did the exact same thing. I concluded that this is normal. It certainly has caused no harm in the 5 or so years I've had my RP6.

dbsea, Mazzy and Dayfold like this.
  18. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for - nothing to worry about.

Thanks, that's reassuring to know too.

The music from the thing sounds incredible. I'm glad no-one is suggesting I take it back!

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Lance Patrick

Lance Patrick New Member

I never oil a motor as most have self lubricating bearings, mostly its needed to wipe the old oil off as it collects and thickens. (much experience of years of this on small AC motors) What I have noted with my Rega 3 is a clicking noise, after a long time it became a like the belt is jumping or skipping new belts and much time did not bring about a solution. One day while it was really bad (get louder with more running time) I had my thumb such that I could feel the belt and noted a slight reverse or shudder from the motor. Understanding the way that AC motors works, there are two rotating magnetic fields out of phase to make the motor turn, I know that one field was failing. When this starts to happen the one field which is created by a capacitor is weaker or as the capacitor shorts a shudder, the capacitor is faulty. Measuring the capacitance showed a higher than normal value instead of 0.22uf the reading of about 1uf, after replacing this with a new one the motor ran quite and I could start to enjoy the music. Noted that the old capacitor was tested at normal running voltage and it self destructed minutes later, clearly there was an internal fault in it's plastic insulation film layers.

I write this because this noisy motor problem it takes ages to figure out, mine started out as a minor clicking sound and over a long time became very audible noise. Its much like a pool pump or washing machine motor capacitor, over time they need replacing. I was lucky in that I could scratch out an old one off another circuit test it value, run it at its full rated voltage (220VAC) and it was fine interesting all the old ones that I had that tested high in capacitance rated for 230 failed when tested under load after a few minutes poof in smoke. Under starting I get a light noise i take as the belt taking up tension of the load I also start the load with a light push of the plate to reduce start up load.

20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Had same problem. Solved it by dropping 1-2 drops of oil down the motor shaft. A thin steel wire with a rounded circle end will do the trick to get the drop there.

KT88 likes this.
  21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Fine advice for the very vintage circuit that was used back 20 years ago and older. 220v or 115vac units were phased out (pardon the pun) starting with the P25 and followed by the P3, P5, P7, and P9. Since, they have been 24vac and so there hasn't been as much drift in performance from newer decks. Many vintage tables of various brands that I have serviced over the years used high voltage AC drives and I would sometimes find the phasing capacitor bad in. More and more modern units are using lower voltage drives. I hope this clarifies that this is not really as relevant to units such as the RP6 being discussed here.
    -Bill

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep; I relube most decks motor bearings that come here for service, no matter the brand or reason for service. After 10 years, a tiny drop of oil on the top motor bearing isn't a bad thing, whether it's needed at the moment or not. It will be soon enough. Older, larger, high voltage motors often had oiling holes and reservoirs beside the bearings, top and bottom, for this purpose. Newer, smaller motors seem to use less oil and don't have reservoirs but can still benefit from the shaft being oiled after years of use.
    -Bill

23. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Is 2050w mineral engine oil the go-to for all TT bearings? I want to throw a drop or two in my ProJect Debut Carbon.

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No. Just to clarify for others, there has been mention of both motor bearings and main bearings here. The oils mentioned are specific to the application. 20-50w is simply engine motor oil. One might also use 10w-40 or 10w-30 oil as well for the motor bearing application. Only one, very tiny drop would be used and to the very point where the motor shaft enters the motor housing only.

Rega uses 90w gear oil for the main bearing, under the subplatter and spindle. Pro-Ject might specify a different weight of oil for their decks as do other makes. For use on the motor however, any light weight to mid weight oil is fine when used sparingly. You do not want to use WD-40 or penetrating oil!
    -Bill

baconbadge likes this.
  25. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.