Rega RP8 - Impressions after 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JCOehler, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,

Now that I've had my Rega RP8 for three weeks, I thought I'd share my thoughts and impressions for those interested. Please understand these are my opinions and based on how I hear so you may not agree or hear differently which I completely respect.

The rest of my system:

Manley Chinook phono preamp
    Rogue Audio Metis Magnum version premap
    McCormack DNA-1 with Gold Revision by SMc
    Vandersteen 2ce Sig II - most recent version

A little background. I have reached a point in my system and available funds that a turntable in the $2500-$3000 range was appropriate. I had started the journey of turntables in this price range with a VPI Classic 1. My cartridge selection was a Lyra Delos. I have owned various Lyra cartridges for years and determined the Delos was my favorite given what I think is a bargain price.

The VPI Classic 1 sounded very good. Deep bass, rich and as HW comments, sounds like the "master tape". However, it left me wanting more from my front end. I did enjoy the Classic for 6 months in my system but I knew it was missing detail that I heard in other fine systems.

After much research, I purchased a WTL Amadeus. I owned the Classic and Amadeus at the same time and went back and forth once I had both of them "dialed in" and used the same Lyra Delos on both. The Amadeus was better in every aspect....bass, detail retrieval, high end extension without a sizzle, it was just right....not a huge difference but enough in each aspect that it was a no-brainer to sell the Classic.

The Amadeus as most of you may know is sort of quirky in its' design and setup. Thread belt, golf ball in silicone solution as a "bearing", no cue lever or finger lift and some other minor items. The finger lift is provided as an option but Mr. Firebaugh designed the table without this in mind so I didn't use.

I really enjoyed the Amadeus, it was rich, detail to a T, the bass was amazing...extended and detailed. It was a very organic sound and I never had listening fatigue. This table made you forget about everything and focus on the music. I had never owned such a beautiful sounding table.

Why the heck would I want to get rid of the Amadeus?!?!

I just could not get past the quirkiness! The threaded drive belts are thin and broke a few times during listening sessions. My hands aren't the steadiest and no cueing made it a challenge. There was no dust cover and yes, it's provided with a cardboard cover which is not preferred and you can but third party acrylic covers but would rather have one with hinges. Yes, these may be considered minor quibbles but these are important to me and I have to live with a table.

After much trepidation about getting rid of the Amadeus and where do I go next, I took a big chance and without hearing one, decided on the Rega RP8. My first venture into audiophile turntables ws my trusty Rega Planar 3 with RB300 back in the late 80's. I have always like the lively sound from their tables and was excited when I saw the release of the RP8.

I contacted Taylor at Goldprint Audio and we negotiated a trade-in of my Amadeus for his only sealed RP8. He stated the next batch was also sold out and the wait would be 3-4 months (at least) so I took the plunge.

I installed the Lyra Delos, used a Baerwald protractor and away I went. First impressions were I knew it would need some break in time as it was slightly brittle in the high end. I experienced the same with both the Classic and Amadeus. After a week, it was sounding much better but there was some evident distortion on certain LP's that I had not heard prior.

I decided to try a different geometry and used the Rega cardboard protractor that was included with the RP8. Wow! That made a significant difference to me. Things really came into focus and I knew instantly I had the right configuration for the RP8 and Delos.

I now went into critical listening mode.

I was most worried about bass with the Amadeus vs. the RP8. This was not an issue and I was stunned at the RP8's bass, both deep and detailed. There's been a stigma attached with Rega tables and a lack of bass. This is just not the case with the RP8. I was actually floored at what I was hearing.

The upper end and detail extraction was on par with the Amadeus. Yes, it's hard to recall what I heard three weeks ago with the Amadeus but I was listening to the same LP's I had been playing exclusively for 6 months so I was very familiar with what I should be hearing. I wasn't missing a thing.

What was different with the RP8 vs the Amadeus was that organic sound. This is where I slightly missed the Amadeus. It just had that rich sound that I love. The RP8 didn't quite achieve this level. But the RP8 added a very lively, quick sound that I can only describe as a being there to watch the artist live, in person. I love attending concerts and small venues and to me, that is what I want to recreate in my 2-channel system. The RP8 makes me feel I'm there, the sound grabs you and gets you energized, toe tapping non-stop.

I really, really enjoy the RP8. It's quality built, it looks amazing in person, and it captures everything I value (just a slight miss in the Amadeus richness) in a turntable.

I miss the Amadeus for that organic, rich sound. I don't miss the quirkiness.

Is the RP8 better than the Classic? To me, the answer is yes without a doubt.

Is the RP8 better than the Amadeus? No, but it's not any worse. It's different but better to me in what I like to hear.

If you are interested in the RP8 and can demo one, you should. I am curious about the synergy with the Apheta cartridge but it sounds great with the Delos and I'm sure sounds just as good with other fine cartridges.

Shiver, Vorlon, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  2. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Congratulations! You've had quite the TT journey.
    The RP8 sounds amazing and you are pleased with it - that's all that matters. :righton:

Enjoy!

cat9

3. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

Thanks for your impressions. I am going to purchase either the RP8 or the Amadeus, so your comparison is very helpful. The hard part is finding the place to audition them. I'm sure the RP10 is going to be something else, but the wait and expense might count that one out. At least for the next year or 2 :)'

4. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Thanks for the thoughtful review. It is great to hear these first hand accounts from forum members

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

To the OP.........you just inspired me to sell some stuff and raise about $4000!:D

6. The Hawk

The Hawk Member

Congratulations!

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I compared both the RP8 and Classic head-to-head (my local dealer has both) and went with the VPI Classic. I loved the Classic's unipivot tonearm and felt it was able to get the most from my Linn Adikt (a carry over from my LP12.) I was worried about the RP8's isolation needs (which may or may not be warranted) and also it's really ugly appearance (personal preference). We all make decisions for different reasons.

I feel it's a bit misleading to say the RP8 is "more detailed" than the VPI. It's not. While they are different, detail-retrieval isn't one of the differences. And thats a very bold pronouncement without comparing head-to-head in the same room, on the same day, through the same gear.

I found the differences to be tracking and tone. The Classic was the better tracker, the RP8 perhaps more neutral and clinical. The VPI won me over with a bigger overall sound and amazingly taught defined bass.

LeeS likes this.
  8. JCOehler

"We all make decisions for different reasons."

>> This is exactly what I pointed out at the very beginning, we all hear things differently

"I feel it's a bit misleading to say the RP8 is "more detailed" than the VPI. It's not. While they are different, detail-retrieval isn't one of the differences. And thats a very bold pronouncement without comparing head-to-head in the same room, on the same day, through the same gear."

>> I disagree and how am I misleading anyone? We all make up our own minds. Like I said, I have listened extensively to the same LP's for six months. I know what I'm hearing on the RP8 which is what I was missing with the Classic. If you choose to label it a bold announcement, than that's cool with me, I like bold.

"I found the differences to be tracking and tone. The Classic was the better tracker, the RP8 perhaps more neutral and clinical. The VPI won me over with a bigger overall sound and amazingly taught defined bass."

>> How does one turntable track better than another? I thought it was very dependent on the cartridge followed by the tonearm

9. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

gotta love JLW2000. tells people that they're misleading and not to make bold pronouncements, then goes and does exactly the same himself. :D

thanks for the review OP, great to read someone's impressions over the course of a few different turntables.

Upinsmoke and jordanb87 like this.
  10. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Glad to hear the RP8 and Delos combo is working out for ya.

11. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

JCOehler,
    What do you have the RP8 sitting on? I understand it doesn't fit the old Rega shelf.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Ahh well. Stating my POV on the "detail" assessment, considering I was able to hear both side by side with the same cart. Didn't sound as if OP was able to do that. So to that point, perhaps unfair to slag the Classic.

Not really a bold pronouncement having heard both back to back same day same room same cart same amps same speakers. Versus six+ months apart. Eh? Or are we really so blind?

There are differences between the two. "Detail" is NOT one of them.

To the OP, don't be so defensive. You can hardly expect this review, founded largely on your "memory" of tables owned in the past, to be the definitive last word. Especially when dismissing a well regarded table (and trading in an Amadeus?)

To Coldacre.... I actually compared the two and bought one of them. Two weeks ago. Not the least bit curious why someone (whos owned a few Rega tables in the past) might have gone the other way?

I can see why someone might choose the RP8, but "detail" is a ridiculous claim.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I don't think the OP was getting defensive at all. However, when someone replies and starts putting a bunch of words in parenthesis to "prove" their point....then things get weird.

The Hawk likes this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

No offense intended to any party here, but it wasn't the OP who comes off as defensive on this one.

The Hawk likes this.
  15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Fair, I'm defending the Classic from some RP8 is more detailed than etc latest and greatest-style nonsense. I've heard both side by side and one is not any more detailed the other. Both are excellent, and the RP8 addresses nearly every complaint I've ever lobbed at Rega tables. Nearly.

Meanwhile, Jon, no words were put in parentheses. One was put in quotes, however, when quoting the OP.

But yeah, I'm defending the Classic. I love the Classic. I can get amped up. So sue me.

16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I love the Classic, too. I'd love to have one. I'd love to have an RP8, too. They were both on my short list, recently. I felt cautious about the RP8 because I wouldn't have the chance to audition one, any time soon.

17. JCOehler

Hey NCBlue - I was using the table top part of the Ikea Lack as the platform on a DIY wall mounted (drilled into the studs) shelf. I have the shelf resting on spikes. I switched to a plain, painted mdf shelf and this tightened things up. I've always found Rega's sound good on an isolated, light yet rigid surface.

18. JCOehler

I never slagged the Classic. From my post - The VPI Classic 1 sounded very good. Deep bass, rich and as HW comments, sounds like the "master tape". Yeah, I really said that table sounds like crap right there.

Where did I say mine is the definitive last word? From my post - Please understand these are my opinions and based on how I hear so you may not agree or hear differently which I completely respect.

Again, I really put the stamp on definitive statement in that sentence. What I say rules. Ha!

Sorry to disagree again but I'm not defensive, just responding to you in an objective manner. If I was defensive I'd probably word my replies similar to your style.

Enjoy your Classic, it's a wonderful table. Built in the USA, top quality craftsmanship, easy to set up, a lot to like with this unit.

Aereoplain likes this.
  19. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll have to make one thing myself then.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

You're right. It's quotation marks, not parenthesis. I misspoke. It's quotation marks that people start using within their posts that make them look all tweaked out simply because someone hears something different within his system, or prefers a different sound and picked a different brand of turntable. So because of this, you treat the thread as if your turntable is a family member and their honor is now at stake. Pretty silly, IMO.

The Hawk likes this.
  21. james

james Summon The Queen

How does the "foam" plinth feel, quality-wise, in person? It looks a little cheesy in photos, but I'm sure it's more substantial than it appears.

22. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Thanks for the great review!

Glad you are enjoying the new table!

23. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I'm wrong, you guys are right. Thanks for the awesome PM, Coldacre.

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Thanks for the review.
    Audio brands, just like tubes/solid state or analog/digital, are a matter of personal taste. Just like food.... one to five stars hot? rare or medium?
    Our audio world would be a boring place if every turntable sounded like the other. Imagine if they all shared the same sound and presentation characteristics.

25. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

These are all great turntables and I understand why people get upset when someone slights their choice. But it is a great help for everyone to post their own experiences on the forum. Bottom line, I could live with any of the 3 tables. It is just a matter of what suits your budget, fits in with each systems balance and will make your music sound great in the long run. It's supposed to be fun!
    Now I have to decide which table is right for me. Thanks to all who can help in the decision.

Jerod likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.